Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Convoy $12.49 (55% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
47 Meters Down (Blu-ray)
$10.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 01-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX
Default Official Super Nintendo Discussion Thread

Hey, guys.

Since I didn't see a thread like this listed in my search results, I decided to start one. The system is now more than 20 years old, but it still has a fanbase, and I thought it'd be cool to hear from others. So, what are your favorite games, memories, and/or experiences with this 16-bit powerhouse?

MY FLICKR PAGE - LOTS OF HQ MOVIE IMAGES!

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

See collection in signature; I still have all my games from the days. I had the Super for the RPGs and 2-D platformers.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

I remember when Street Fighter II came out and it was like 75 bucks I still bought it though (well, my parents did) and I definitely got my money's worth.

One of my favorite games, and something I wish I could play occasionally is the Death and Return of Superman. That game was good times. A pretty straightforward side-scroller, but still fun, and it's still the best Superman game ever made. The Justice League Task Force fighting game was pretty cool, too.

Always liked Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures, since it was all three movies in one game.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat 1-3, and of course Super Mario World were some of my other favorites. SNES had a great catalog of games.
That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness that turns good men . . . cruel.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post
I remember when Street Fighter II came out and it was like 75 bucks I still bought it though (well, my parents did) and I definitely got my money's worth.

One of my favorite games, and something I wish I could play occasionally is the Death and Return of Superman. That game was good times. A pretty straightforward side-scroller, but still fun, and it's still the best Superman game ever made. The Justice League Task Force fighting game was pretty cool, too.

Always liked Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures, since it was all three movies in one game.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat 1-3, and of course Super Mario World were some of my other favorites. SNES had a great catalog of games.
I didn't get my own Super NES until Christmas of '97, but I think I'd played a few games at a friend's house prior to that. When I got my own system, it was the "Killer Instinct" bundle, and I played that game for hours, almost every day, for months or more. Ultimately, my favorite games are easily "Super Metroid", "Super Mario All-Stars", and "Super Punch-Out!". I couldn't stand the "Super Star Wars" games though; the difficulty was insane.

I gave my original SNES to my sister years ago, and its since bit the dust. I did order a refurbished one online yesterday, so it should arrive by the end of the week.

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."

Last edited by Moviefan2k4; 01-02-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

What are the connection options for SNES? Does it even use the standard composite hookups? I believe the original NES was an RF only hookup, wasn't it?

I loved Super Star Wars! I do remember them being pretty hard, but I still loved them. And I remember Killer Instinct being a big deal when it came out. I remember playing that one quite a bit, but I remember the learning curve being quite steep, since I believe it was one of the first fighting games that was pretty heavy on combos. I remember it was a big deal that it came in a black cartridge

I don't even know where my SNES is. I assume it's somewhere at my parents' house, along with my Dreamcast. I'd probably have my Dreamcast hooked up, except I loaned somebody most of my games and never got them back. Since then I don't loan things out.
That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness that turns good men . . . cruel.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011

got SNES for Christmas in 1991. Super Mario World is the greatest bundled title of all time--any system.

memories:
-preordering Super Street Fighter II in 1994 (70 bucks!!!)
-probably logging 200 hrs on NBA Live 95 and 96
-gray blood on Mortal Kombat. LOL
-watching my brother beat Chrono Trigger.
Thanks given by:
SlickDamian (08-13-2014)
Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post
What are the connection options for SNES? Does it even use the standard composite hookups? I believe the original NES was an RF only hookup, wasn't it?
Both systems had both composite and RF hookups, in their original forms. Nintendo re-released both systems in the mid-90s, with limited connection specs.

Quote:
I remember Killer Instinct being a big deal when it came out. I remember playing that one quite a bit, but I remember the learning curve being quite steep, since I believe it was one of the first fighting games that was pretty heavy on combos. I remember it was a big deal that it came in a black cartridge
Yeah, very few games came in alternate cart colors. I think "Maximum Carnage" was released in a red one.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
Both systems had both composite and RF hookups, in their original forms. Nintendo re-released both systems in the mid-90s, with limited connection specs.
I've an S-Video cable for my original SNES. Same cable works with N64 and GameCube too.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand
Wink

Quote:
I didn't get my own Super NES until Christmas of '97, but I think I'd played a few games at a friend's house prior to that. When I got my own system, it was the "Killer Instinct" bundle, and I played that game for hours, almost every day, for months or more. Ultimately, my favorite games are easily "Super Metroid", "Super Mario All-Stars", and "Super Punch-Out!". I couldn't stand the "Super Star Wars" games though; the difficulty was insane.
That is the exact bundle I received down here, though end of 95 for me. I was a fan of KI at the arcades and was one of the few at that point to be able to beat the game with all characters. Incredible music, though the CD they brought home I thought had weaker soundtracks. I prefer Spinal's music at the arcades, at least Cinder and Eyedol's music rocked!.

Other game I had included Secret of Mana. which I enjoyed very much. this may have been it for the collection, good Snes games were rare by the time I got my collection. Sega's products were cherished more in New Zealand even the Master System was more prominent then Nes.

Games I loved Mortal Kombat 1-3, Darius Twin awesome graphics, big fan of the series. Star Fox which is my preference to the N64 version. Super Special Weapons IV aka Super SWIV.

SWIV's music is amongst my favourites as well. The boss music was really original, until I found out it is a rip of the original 1984 Terminator movie. (Reece's dream sequence fighting Hunter Killer's.)
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I'm not sure videogaming has ever been as pure and cool since the age of the SNES. Secret of Mana was a great game.
Thanks given by:
SlickDamian (08-13-2014)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand
Wink

Actually I did end up owning one more Snes title Super Ghouls and Ghosts, however this was in the Capcom Generations collection on the original Playstation ..that was difficult that one.
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I'm not sure videogaming has ever been as pure and cool since the age of the SNES. Secret of Mana was a great game.
I won't argue . I did enjoy RPG's more in the 16bit era than post. I was sick of FF after finishing 8 ;(.

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
Katy, TX

Quote:
I couldn't stand the "Super Star Wars" games though; the difficulty was insane.
Ah, yes. Super Star Wars. The game that got me back into Star Wars. The first one was actually pretty easy. I remember renting it I think 3 times because I dug it so much. I should've just bought the sucker. I also rented Super Empire which wasn't so much difficult as it was loooooooooooooong. Geez, I think they had what seemed like 10 stages just for Hoth alone. Plus Luke actually defeats Vader at the end which was bizarre.

Now Super Return of the Jedi. That thing was impossible. I couldn't even get past Jabba's Palace, it was so damn hard. I'd love to get all three in some sort of collector's set. The problem is Lucas would insist on going back and editing in the Special Edition nonsense before ever allowing their re-release.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Well, I finally got my refurbished SNES from the Nintendo Repair Shop website, and it works brilliantly. Unfortunately, the replica controllers weren't nearly as cooperative, so I'm returning them. In the meantime, I'll be getting some original ones on my own, and cleaning them.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
The Sewer

Nothing like booting up the ole SNES with it's aged nicotine finish and playing the heck out of TMNT IV.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Well, I opted for a pair of different replica controllers (by a company called TTX Tech), and they work very well. Only paid $8 new for each for them, too. So, my system is now complete, and I'm very happy with it. Long live the Super Nintendo!

PS: My system isn't yellowed at all, either.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

It has been over 3 months since I bought or played with my Super NES, so I decided to purchase 3 games from a seller on Craigslist. I bought StarFox, Super Mario World and X-Men Mutant Apocalypse this past Saturday. I managed to negotiate the price from $5 to $4 each game. All cartridges were in fairly good/clean condition. I have only played with the games a couple of times but I really like Super Mario World and X-Men. Super Mario has an internal battery for saves and I am hoping I won't have to replace it anytime soon. X-Men has huge character graphics similar to Altered Beast. So far I own 5 Super NES games. Looking forward to buying more soon!
😱😍💜❤🙈🙊👍
😘😍😘😍😘😍😘😍
😱😍💜❤🙈🙊👍
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #18
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

My Super Everdrive arrives tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
My Super Everdrive arrives tomorrow.
Dude, that thing is nuts! I have never heard of such a device. The idea of keeping an SNES console out really seems practical now (assuming you have ROMs, of course). I'm curious to see how the emulation works. I'm sure it's all done at the cartridge level.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center Polk CS-1 / Fronts Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 07-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
Dude, that thing is nuts! I have never heard of such a device. The idea of keeping an SNES console out really seems practical now (assuming you have ROMs, of course). I'm curious to see how the emulation works. I'm sure it's all done at the cartridge level.
There's plenty of videos on YouTube showing off these flash carts. I just found out about them a couple of months ago.

I have the Everdrives for N64 and Genesis, as well as the Powerpak for NES. My Super NES Everdrive apparently arrives tomorrow. They all work great, and you can't tell the difference between this or using an original cartridge. FYI, the N64 also has a NES emulator, and the Genesis has a Sega Master emulator.

A flash card for Turbographx-16 was just released, and there's a mod for 3DO coming soon, which means Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, etc will be coming too!

Here's a pic of the 3DO kit. It runs off of a laptop hard drive. No more discs/lasers/moving parts, extending the life of the console considerably.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming