Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Rock-a-Doodle (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.22
Young Mr. Lincoln (Blu-ray)
$28.35
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Trailer Trauma 2: Drive-In Monsterama (Blu-ray)
$17.50
Superman: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #41

Oct 2015

JB have removed all evidence they ever sold the disk

http:// https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...sh-the/326650/

The page you were after lived a good and happy life, but now it is no longer with us. That's ok though, because we have thousands more that are alive and just as great.
I've never been able to work out Blu-ray.com's collection system, here's my up to date collection:
http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/chopsus
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #42

May 2017
melbourne aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopsus View Post
JB have removed all evidence they ever sold the disk

http:// https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...sh-the/326650/

The page you were after lived a good and happy life, but now it is no longer with us. That's ok though, because we have thousands more that are alive and just as great.

haha, it has probably been discontinued on orders of someone at roadshow, due to the amount of complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #43
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

I annoyed Roadshow into finally getting a response.
Quote:
Hi Cal,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the Blu-ray release of ‘The Dish’ and apologies for the frustration you have experienced with the product.

This is the first time that The Dish has been released on the Blu-ray format in Australia, and having been created from its original 35mm analogue film scanning process of 17 years ago it will look a little different from the digital film scans of more recent films. With this in mind, and without a remastered film, The Dish High Definition 1080p file required for the Blu-ray release has had to be created from the original Standard Definition PAL film scan ex 35mm release print. Whilst the original master source is Standard Definition, this disc is compliant with the standard Blu-ray video bitrate and has an added inclusion of DTS 5.1 audio which was not previously available on the DVD version.

With releasing The Dish on High Definition Blu-ray an expectation of film quality improvement may be present - as it would be on more recent movies wherein the original production process has benefited from technological advancement, and as such we are taking steps to update the wording on the packaging so this can be more easily understood. Whilst I am unable to resolve your disappointment, I can confirm that with proof of purchase you can return your copy of The Dish to the retailer where you purchased the product. I would also like to offer you a copy of The Castle Remastered on Blu-ray in hope that this will go some way to alleviate your frustration. If you would like to take me up on this offer please send back your mailing address and I will organise a delivery right away.

Again, I apologise for any inconvenience or disappointment this may have caused and would like to note we appreciate your support of our content and Australian films in particular.

Best regards,
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (05-17-2017), beechy (05-17-2017), CastrosfriendChe (05-19-2017), hdgfs (05-17-2017), jedidaniel (05-24-2017), Rick Grimes (05-19-2017), SubElement (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #44

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

^ how did you originally contact them to get that response? I emailed them, messaged them on Facebook and called with the promise of a call back... nothing.

As for their response - well there you go. An SD master (and a PAL one at that) upscaled. Their cover is blatant false advertising. It is not stunning and is not high definition. It's a flat out lie.
~{ "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." }~
Thanks given by:
beechy (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #45
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
^ how did you originally contact them to get that response? I emailed them, messaged them on Facebook and called with the promise of a call back... nothing.

As for their response - well there you go. An SD master (and a PAL one at that) upscaled. Their cover is blatant false advertising. It is not stunning and is not high definition. It's a flat out lie.
I private messaged them on Facebook, they replied asking for my best email address, saying that I would be contacted directly by their customer service team. Days went by, didn't hear anything, so I messaged them again. Half an hour later, the email landed.

Yup, straight from the horse's mouth. Mine is already unwrapped, so I can't return it to JB. No point getting a copy of The Castle from them, I already own it.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (05-19-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 AM   #46

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
I private messaged them on Facebook, they replied asking for my best email address, saying that I would be contacted directly by their customer service team. Days went by, didn't hear anything, so I messaged them again. Half an hour later, the email landed.

Yup, straight from the horse's mouth. Mine is already unwrapped, so I can't return it to JB. No point getting a copy of The Castle from them, I already own it.
Interesting. They never responded to my Facebook message and I sent one to their customer care email address too.

You should still be able to return it as it is not as advertised. Plus you've got the email from Roadshow and they'd be able to see it has been recalled.

As for The Castle - I don't own it and am not a fan but the best thing Roadshow could do is actually bother to respond to their customers. Offering something to make up for the problem is nice and all but you can't do that if you ignore people's contact attempts.
~{ "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." }~
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (05-19-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:

You should be able to if you explain the issue. I purchased my copy on Monday the 1st, 2 days before the official release date, and returned it the following day after opening it because of the quality of the disc (this was days before you first posted about the issue on here, I was quite busy that week, which is why I didn't get around sharing the info). A JB staff member put it in one of their players and saw the issue for themselves on one of their floor model TV's, and instantly refunded me:

Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One s & 360 s, Sony PS4 Pro & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (05-19-2017), StrayButler91 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #48
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
Interesting. They never responded to my Facebook message and I sent one to their customer care email address too.

You should still be able to return it as it is not as advertised. Plus you've got the email from Roadshow and they'd be able to see it has been recalled.

As for The Castle - I don't own it and am not a fan but the best thing Roadshow could do is actually bother to respond to their customers. Offering something to make up for the problem is nice and all but you can't do that if you ignore people's contact attempts.
I'll give JB a call and see how I go, they are obviously aware of the issue if the discs are being pulled off the shelves. What happens now is anyone's guess. Do Roadshow hide all evidence of the product and cut their losses? Or do they have another crack?

Not sure why they're ignoring you. They're probably getting a fair few complaints and they're forgetting to reply to everyone lol
Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
I annoyed Roadshow into finally getting a response.

>>>

"Whilst the original master source is Standard Definition, this disc is compliant with the standard Blu-ray video bitrate and has an added inclusion of DTS 5.1 audio which was not previously available on the DVD version."

Wow...we tricked you into purchasing this Blu-ray edition >>>

But hey...don't complain, suckers!...the disc has lossless audio!

...just...wow.
Thanks given by:
Gomephrus (05-17-2017), Rick Grimes (05-19-2017), Trekkie313 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #50
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

JB refunded me. And I replied to Roadshow about the abysmal quality of the disc.
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (05-17-2017), Rick Grimes (05-19-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #51

Aug 2009
Australia

Wow, what a joke. It's compliant with Bluray standards? Who cares. You should be selling the quality of Bluray, not the format itself.

Mine is already open, not sure if I'll be able to get a refund? I also no longer have the invoice.
Checkout my Photoblog!
Thanks given by:
Gomephrus (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #52

May 2017
melbourne aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Wow, what a joke. It's compliant with Bluray standards? Who cares. You should be selling the quality of Bluray, not the format itself.

Mine is already open, not sure if I'll be able to get a refund? I also no longer have the invoice.

I have the reciept and plan on returning it first thing tomorrow, bugger roadshow and their inept ability to release a proper bluray release of a australian film classic.

Update went into jbhifi this morning, got my full refund, the disk was not sealed, but still got the refund(had reciept, so no idea if they will refund without it).

Last edited by blurayagent; 05-18-2017 at 02:03 AM. Reason: updated
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (05-17-2017), Gomephrus (05-17-2017), Rick Grimes (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #53
Special Member

Jul 2012

Wow. What a rip off.
Especially since it states "Stunning High Definition Blu-Ray" on the cover.

Having fine print stating "High Defintion Feature Mastered from US Theatrical Cut edit" does not absolve them... Thought that simply meant they mastered the US cut. Thought something was rotten in Denmark when I read that.

Should have put it in the correct terms that StrayButler91 got in his reply from Roadshow... With a couple of alterations:
"The Dish High Definition 1080p transfer required for this Blu-ray release has been created from the original Standard Definition PAL film scan ex 35mm release print."

Did oringinally say "had to be created from original yada, yada, yada". Why had to? More like, we cheapened out and wouldn't do a 2K scan of the negative or interpositive. I would have paid $25-30 for this movie. And I am assuming many fans would.

I am glad Roadshow didn't get away with this shit and it has been discontinued and pulled from the shelves. I assume Roadshow thought that many Aussie's were technical philsitines and would not notice. How wrong they were. Big thank you to all those Blu-Ray aficionados who complained to Roadshow.
Now I don't hold out much hope for The Year of Living Dangerously to be remastered... Maybe Umbrella or ViaVision might release it.

Already opened mine, but instead of returning it, I will have a look for myself (just to see how bad it really is).

Will then gift it to my father (who loved The Dish) and who won't see the difference (has a TV from Aldi that converts 24fps to 1080p/60 and looks up to shit anyway).
Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Streaming sucks!

Respect the filmmakers intentions; Respect the the OAR
Thanks given by:
shmn (07-12-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #54
Special Member

Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post

I think if you paid cash, it'd be a hard task. But if you used a card, their system should have the transaction. I think they're obligated to keep records of some sort. Possibly also using a bank/card statement showing the transaction would suffice. Perhaps even on your phone?
"This machine kills Fascists."
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #55

May 2017
melbourne aus

Anyone care to gather why jbhifi removed it from the website, I didn't see any copies at Prahran store today, but saw a few in one of the city stores yesterday - roadshow decided to recall the title after all the negative comments on social media perhaps? Ezydvd has removed it from there site also, the dish bluray, the dvd is still available, abc shop has it for $20, https://shop.abc.net.au/products/the-dish-bluray
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #56

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayagent View Post
Anyone care to gather why jbhifi removed it from the website, I didn't see any copies at Prahran store today, but saw a few in one of the city stores yesterday - roadshow decided to recall the title after all the negative comments on social media perhaps? Ezydvd has removed it from there site also, the dish bluray, the dvd is still available, abc shop has it for $20, https://shop.abc.net.au/products/the-dish-bluray
Based on contacts it has been recalled in order to update the cover art to state sourced from an SD master and then the same disc will be released into the wild to trick unsuspecting customers.
Thanks given by:
blurayagent (05-19-2017), Gomephrus (05-19-2017), malcy30 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #57
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

It was still on the shelf at JB Westfield Parramatta when I dropped in there this afternoon.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One s & 360 s, Sony PS4 Pro & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub
Old 05-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #58

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
It was still on the shelf at JB Westfield Parramatta when I dropped in there this afternoon.
Was at mine as well yesterday though staff confirmed it was supposed to be removed. Some communication has obviously gone out about it, presumably from Roadshow.

A shame they still have not bothered to respond to any of my contact attempts.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #59

Jan 2016

Roadshow irritate me. Pulling crap like this. i also hate it when they release films with 5.1 that got atmos overseas. Or them not releasing films they own at all (enternal sunshine)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #60
Special Member

Jul 2012

If Roadshow returns the disc to shelves in it's current form, the packaging certainly needs to drop the "stunning high definition" shite on the front cover and clearly state "mastered from the original Standard Defintion 35mm film scan".

Carl Sagan's Cosmos is a recent BD thst states 1080i on the back cover, although it clearly states that the transfer is from an SD source... "Great care has been taken in upconverting the Standard Definition NTSC videotape into High Defintion files"... While ViaVision probably had no choice about the source they used, at least they we're honest and not trying to pull the wool over our eyes, so to speak.

Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Streaming sucks!

Respect the filmmakers intentions; Respect the the OAR
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia