Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Death of Superman (Blu-ray)
$17.96
3 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.87
12 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99

The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$22.00
20 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
7 hrs ago
A Bad Moms Christmas (Blu-ray)
$9.59

I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
12 hrs ago
Book Club (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

Nov 2013
Delaware, USA
Default Mr. Nice Guy (1997)

I'm not sure about any of you guys, but I feel like Jackie Chan has separated himself from the martial arts film genre into his own self-titled sub-genre of just "Jackie Chan Movies". A lot of them are not all that special in the story and acting department, but for the most part, Jackie never ceases to impress with his team's stunt work and choreography. His achievements in film are astounding, and the Hong Kong film industry probably wouldn't have been discovered by many Americans at that the time if it weren't for him.

That being said, the first Jackie Chan movie that I watched as a kid was Mr. Nice Guy in 1997. Watching it now, it's definitely not Jackie's best work, but it's also definitely one of his funniest movies and unsurprisingly, the stunt work and choreography are still pretty fantastic. It seems like not a lot of people have seen it, though, not even Jackie Chan fans.

That brings me to the purpose of this thread. Do you think that this movie should get a Blu-ray release? The last US release that I could find was on DVD, and I'm trying to purge my DVD collection as it is. Does anyone know particularly why this one hasn't gotten a Blu-ray release?

Prepare for the most extreme example of a movie trailer from the 1990s.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2010
Illinois

I have it in HDX in Vudu. You can convert from dvd for just a few bucks (or even better, Vudu credit )
Old 07-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #3

Nov 2013
Delaware, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
I have it in HDX in Vudu. You can convert from dvd for just a few bucks (or even better, Vudu credit )
I know there are digital releases, but I don't really care for digital movie libraries. I would rather have a physical collection. Ripping it from the DVD wouldn't work either, it would still be DVD quality.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
Expert Member

Sep 2016
Michigan USA

Rumble in the Bronx was my introduction into Jackie Chan films. He has his own style imo. Mr Nice Guy was really good as well. Love them both.
The Serious Film Collector and Supporter of
Wishlist
Frostbiter: Wraith of the Wendigo, Sundown a Vampire in retreat, There's Nothing out there, Nothing But Trouble, The Brain, The Keep, Necronomicon, Dust Devil, Stay Tuned, 976 Evil 2, Cast A Deadly Spell, Witch Hunt, Monster In The Closet, The Applegates, Mikey, Blood salvage, Lunatics A Love Story, Transmutations, Project Metalbeast.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Mar 2018

Would like this on Blu too, I've been a huge Jackie fan since the mid-80's. Mr Nice Guy is a little underrated and neglected I think - sure, the acting in it is often piss poor and the plot just a flimsy excuse for loads of chasing around -but this one is absolutely crammed with Chan's trademark mixture of martial arts, stunts and slapstick comedy, it could be the fastest paced movie he ever made.

Some of the stuff in it is borrowed from his Hong Kong work, almost turning the film into a kind of greatest hits package, but I guess it was felt at the time that, to the majority of western viewers, it would be new. Though this one got quite a limited US cinema release I think, and in the UK where I live it went straight to video.

My hope is that any Blu-ray release will also contain the alternate Hong Kong cut [better in some ways, inferior in others], but that's probably doubtful....the distributors of the Hong Kong Chan films that got released theatrically [i.e.Rumble In The Bronx] in the west seem to only want us to see the re-edited [often even missing fight footage] versions that they put together.
Thanks given by:
DoctorShazbot (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #6

Nov 2013
Delaware, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lenera View Post
Would like this on Blu too, I've been a huge Jackie fan since the mid-80's. Mr Nice Guy is a little underrated and neglected I think - sure, the acting in it is often piss poor and the plot just a flimsy excuse for loads of chasing around -but this one is absolutely crammed with Chan's trademark mixture of martial arts, stunts and slapstick comedy, it could be the fastest paced movie he ever made.

Some of the stuff in it is borrowed from his Hong Kong work, almost turning the film into a kind of greatest hits package, but I guess it was felt at the time that, to the majority of western viewers, it would be new. Though this one got quite a limited US cinema release I think, and in the UK where I live it went straight to video.

My hope is that any Blu-ray release will also contain the alternate Hong Kong cut [better in some ways, inferior in others], but that's probably doubtful....the distributors of the Hong Kong Chan films that got released theatrically [i.e.Rumble In The Bronx] in the west seem to only want us to see the re-edited [often even missing fight footage] versions that they put together.
I haven't seen the movie since I had it on VHS. I guess it's even better than I remember; either that or I saw a different cut of it. I wonder what it would take to make it happen.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

I grew up with Jackie Chan films. In those days the most exciting part during Chinese New Year holidays is a new Jackie Chan film. I want all his films from the 70’s till now on blu-ray.
Too much nostalgia interrupts progress. Looking forward to something new.
Thanks given by:
DoctorShazbot (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Expert Member

Apr 2017
England

Although I do prefer Jackie Chan's earlier Hong Kong movies, I did enjoy Mr. Nice Guy and Rumble In The Bronx. I'm not so keen on his more recent releases sadly.

A Blu-ray would be welcome as I do have this on DVD (released in the UK by EIV), but the transfer wasn't as good as it could have been in my opinion.
Thanks given by:
DoctorShazbot (07-14-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
chinese, hong kong, jackie chan, martial arts, mr nice guy