Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$4.00
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Star Trek Beyond 4K + 3D Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.70
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Blu-ray)
$7.83
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #2321
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Better in every way?! Not the film. Not by a long shot. I dont want Destroyer in my collection thanks!
Much more than the money involved, the greatest cost of the French steelbook for me was adding Destroyer to my Blu-ray collection, ha ha.
Thanks given by:
Arawn (07-13-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #2322

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD1973 View Post
Did anyone buy the March re-issue, or the Complete Quest in June?

There was some speculation back then that these might be corrected discs.
Somehow I doubt it, but perhaps someone can confirm.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #2323
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Caithness, Scotland

Is the U.K. BD of Destroyer definitely 100% uncut and does it use the Universal transfer?
Normal is boring
Old 07-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #2324
Expert Member

Jun 2015

The Australian disc for Conan the Barbarian contains the extended international cut with English mono and correct night filter for the dog attack scene. However the night filter ends prematurely as the sun can be seen shining into the entrance of the cave during the shot of him falling down the stairs then looking around for a minute. I believe that the light should be bluish moonlight, yet in this "fixed" edition, it's clearly the sun.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #2325
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Just going over the village attack scene comparing the 5.1 to the mono, and OMG the mono is VASTLY superior. It totally changes the power of this part of the movie. Which reminds me of how the DVD left me wondering why the scene had lost its POWER when I watched it years ago. I couldn't figure out how a scene I had once thought was amazing now seemed so drained of power.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #2326
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
The Australian disc for Conan the Barbarian contains the extended international cut with English mono and correct night filter for the dog attack scene. However the night filter ends prematurely as the sun can be seen shining into the entrance of the cave during the shot of him falling down the stairs then looking around for a minute. I believe that the light should be bluish moonlight, yet in this "fixed" edition, it's clearly the sun.
Interesting, I did notice this myself, but had been preoccupied with an audio issue on the 5.1 mix in the same scene and it distracted me from that (the audio issue is how they over amplified Conan's breathing in the mix - it sounded weird).

I thought maybe it had been a flaw in the original image. But now that I think about it you are probably right. Interested to see if this issue is duplicated on the French and corrected UK disks?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #2327
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Comparing the mono to the 5.1 on the groups assault on Thulsa Doom's pleasure temple and again the difference is astounding. Mono is far superior here too.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #2328
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

OK EVERYTHING is superior on the mono. The opening "that which does not kill you..." drums, the wizards intro... everything.

Also comparing it to the DVD and WOW what a massive PQ improvement!

Sure it is an older transfer but there is some amazing detail and nice depth on display here.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #2329
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
OK EVERYTHING is superior on the mono.
I was hoping one of these releases would get the "right" mono and "right" 5.1 together in the same release. Sounds like this disc has the same muffled 5.1 track from the French release (which is horrendous), whereas the earlier 5.1 track was assembled from pure stereo music elements. Outside of the lack of chorus, the music definitely sounds best in that mix, though some purists object to some of the sound FX.

Just a shame Dino DeLaurentiis was cheap and didn't mix the film in stereo to begin with. Then we wouldn't have all the audio issues!
Old 08-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #2330

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Right, what am I saying is that Milius prefers the US theatrical cut with the blueberry scene thrown in. If you want to get technical and call it a director's cut I guess you can. I personally have always preferred the extended international cut.
Are you sure Millius prefers the U.S. theatrical cut? I seem to remember listening to the commentary track on the DVD release of the extended cut and him talking about how how he prefers the ending showing the princess. And that the studio forced him to cut it out for the original theatrical release (which I think works much better than the extended version).
Old 08-05-2016, 12:47 AM   #2331

Apr 2016

If the international version has the horse trips removed, does that mean they removed the part during the battle of the mounds when Conan uses his sword to trip the horse? That always looked brutal to me, especially considering he's using a sword to trip it.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #2332
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
If the international version has the horse trips removed, does that mean they removed the part during the battle of the mounds when Conan uses his sword to trip the horse? That always looked brutal to me, especially considering he's using a sword to trip it.
The only version that has the horse falls cut is the U.K. release. The U.K. rating folks treat harm to animals the same way the MPAA treats nudity in films.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #2333

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
Are you sure Millius prefers the U.S. theatrical cut? I seem to remember listening to the commentary track on the DVD release of the extended cut and him talking about how how he prefers the ending showing the princess. And that the studio forced him to cut it out for the original theatrical release (which I think works much better than the extended version).
Milius prefers the Extended International Cut -- he even recorded additional commentary for that version to accommodate the added "Moby-Dick" scene that was missing from the "regular" International Version.
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Old 08-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #2334

Mar 2012

So, I want the Australian release that is the cheapest price shipped to the US. Can anyone guide me to this?

Prefer a single pack cause if I want CTD without the mono track I can stick to the US release.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #2335

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
So, I want the Australian release that is the cheapest price shipped to the US. Can anyone guide me to this?

Prefer a single pack cause if I want CTD without the mono track I can stick to the US release.
JB Hi-Fi seems to be cheapest: about US$20.91 shipped: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...barian/285676/

If you like extras though, it's worth getting CTD as part of the double pack, because it has several and the US has none. It's only about US$4 more.

#Darren mentioned a couple of months ago that he got it as part of a 3 for $20 on JB Hi-Fi, but I guess that would only work if you want two other Australian releases (and who knows when they'll have another offer?). You could also keep an eye on EzyDVD (http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/con...-ray/dp/820021) if you want to wait for the price to drop (it's a few dollars more on there at the moment).

Those are the only sites I've used, so there may be some cheaper ones.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #2336

Feb 2014
Italy

keep thinking the cheapest one is the italian release... same disc as Australian and France but definitely better price:

https://www.amazon.it/Conan-barbaro-Max-Von-Sydow/dp/B0051CTSU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470415226&sr=8-1&keywords=conan+il+barbaro+blu
Old 08-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #2337

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett75 View Post
keep thinking the cheapest one is the italian release... same disc as Australian and France but definitely better price:

https://www.amazon.it/Conan-barbaro-Max-Von-Sydow/dp/B0051CTSU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470415226&sr=8-1&keywords=conan+il+barbaro+blu
Yea but Australian at least has English text! I'm biased towards that for some reason.
Thanks given by:
Davidian (08-07-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #2338

Apr 2016

I've been browsing this thread a bit and I wanted to make sure that I understand something correctly. Do the UK, Italian, and Australian discs all have the correct mono track? And are both the mono and stereo tracks lossless?

Also do all these versions have the Moby Dick scene in them? I prefer the original theatrical version and I wish they'd release it on Blu-Ray but since that doesn't exist I have to get one of these three. Hearing the score is half the enjoyment of this film for me. How the film begins right when the opening titles start and Basil Poledouris's amazing score must be one of the best and most effective cinematic experiences of all time. I was able to see the theatrical version in a movie theater several years ago and it was awesome! Anyway, I'd like to get this on Blu-Ray so can someone confirm about the different releases? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #2339

Jan 2014

Ok reading all of this is making my head spin.

I own the 2 stand alone blu rays but haven't watched them yet. Are theyou the same thing as what inside the combo pack from a few months ago? Or is the 2 movie set better/worse than the individual releases?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #2340

Mar 2012

If I recall, the Australia, Italian, and OOP French release of Barbarian have the mono track.

Only the bare bones UK release of Destroyer has the mono track.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America