Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
23 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
6 hrs ago
Inside Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
12 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #81
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Stop buying so many movies that you've never seen, and start renting them first, so you'll know exactly what you're buying. You're wasting a lot of money!
Haha, I stopped blind buying a few weeks ago. I've also gotten rid of a lot of my movies in my collection, as well, to make some money back.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #82
Power Member

Mar 2007
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Stop buying so many movies that you've never seen, and start renting them first, so you'll know exactly what you're buying, without any regrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Haha, I stopped blind buying a few weeks ago. I've also gotten rid of a lot of my movies in my collection, as well, to make some money back.
Off topic but you can also do what Ive been doing lately which is download vudu or cinema now and just buy the digital copies or ultraviolet copies. Many ultraviolet copies come in "hd" now and many people sell them on here for the price of rentals.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #83
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman71 View Post
as far as Blu Ray titles go
Best for me was The Avengers, Amazing Spiderman,The Boogens, Body & Soul, Cabin in the Woods
Worst Id day off the top of my head is John Carter , Letter from an Unknown Woman , Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Green Lantern, The Grey (AWFUL)
I had to chuckle as I read this.

The Grey was my favorite movie of 2012. I bought the Blu-ray/DVD combo of the film on the day of release, and, when I finally did buy a Blu-ray player and HDTV, it was the first Blu-ray movie that I watched on the new setup. I've already lost count of how many times I've seen The Grey, and it keeps getting better each time. Seeing it on Blu-ray for the first time blew me away.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, though. Several of my friends who went to see The Grey based on my glowing review hated it and they no longer trust my recommendations.

The American was my favorite movie of 2010, and The Tree of Life was my favorite movie of 2011. Neither of those movies get any love from my friends either. I'm a bit of an odd duck around here in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #84
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Stop buying so many movies that you've never seen, and start renting them first, so you'll know exactly what you're buying, without any regrets.
I was reading an advice article in Esquire magazine once that included this particular gem...

How To Buy A DVD Of A Movie That You've Never Seen Before:
1. Put the movie back on the shelf.
2. Walk out of the store.

Can't argue with that logic.

I rarely blind-buy newer movies, because I can rent them from the Redbox booth down the street first. I do admittedly make blind-buy purchases of certain Criterion films or various older movies, but only after I have thoroughly researched the movie to a spoiler-free extent to see if it's my cup of tea.

However...

In a way, we all make a "blind buy" whenever we shell out $10+ to see a movie at a local theater. Money is fluid in that sense, and I see little difference in shelling out $7 for a used Blu-ray somewhere or a discounted day-of-sale Blu-ray from spending that same amount of money to see a movie at the theater that I have not seen before. If I buy a Blu-ray that I don't like, I can get a few dollars back by selling it at the used store down the street. If I dislike a movie that I paid to see at the theater, I get nothing back from that.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #85

Aug 2011
Stem, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I see little difference in shelling out $7 for a used Blu-ray somewhere or a discounted day-of-sale Blu-ray from spending that same amount of money to see a movie at the theater that I have not seen before. If I buy a Blu-ray that I don't like, I can get a few dollars back by selling it at the used store down the street. If I dislike a movie that I paid to see at the theater, I get nothing back from that.
Pretty much how I feel about it. I'll bite on anything I think I might like if it's cheap enough. I'll only pay full price for something I know I will want to own and to keep.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #86
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxerunner View Post
Best: 21 Jump Street.

Worst: Kingdom of Heaven.
You got to be kidding! Kingdom of Heaven is a very good movie. Apparently Kingdom of Heaven just wasn't your type of movie anyway, since you liked 21 Jump Street better. They're two entirely different genres of films, which explains the reason why you disliked Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #87
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

Probably A Safe Place which I own only because it is in the Criterion BBS Box Set, otherwise I would not have purchased it on its own.
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #88
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
You got to be kidding! Kingdom of Heaven is a very good movie. Apparently Kingdom of Heaven just wasn't your type of movie anyway, since you liked 21 Jump Street better. They're two entirely different genres of films, which explains the reason why you disliked Kingdom of Heaven.
No kingdom of heaven just was inaccurate, boring, and poorly acted. Really uninspired movie. IMO.
Most films that I find good I don't want to experience again.

-iScottie
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #89
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco. View Post
No kingdom of heaven just was inaccurate, boring, and poorly acted. Really uninspired movie. IMO.
All movies that were allegedly based on true stories are inaccurate, because it's Hollywood. If you want 100% facts on any true events, you have to go to the library, and read books that's been previously written by authors based on that particular subject matter, or do extensive research on the internet.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-29-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #90
Power Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
In a way, we all make a "blind buy" whenever we shell out $10+ to see a movie at a local theater. Money is fluid in that sense, and I see little difference in shelling out $7 for a used Blu-ray somewhere or a discounted day-of-sale Blu-ray from spending that same amount of money to see a movie at the theater that I have not seen before. If I buy a Blu-ray that I don't like, I can get a few dollars back by selling it at the used store down the street. If I dislike a movie that I paid to see at the theater, I get nothing back from that.
thats such a true statement! at least when purchasing a bluray you are getting a tangible object that still has a value when resold.
i'm also a guy who would rather buy movies than to spend it on a bottle of vodka at a club for example.
i know my movie taste quite well and always watch trailers in advance, so
my blind buys usually work out for me. out of my 900 blus, there are maybe 2 movies i really didn't like that much.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #91
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
District 13

Now I wouldn't say this is the worst. But it wasn't what I expected it to be. and that would be Jeff, Who Lives At Home. Like I said not really a bad movie. Just not what I thought it was gonna be from the trailer/tv spots.

I'm sure there are a few others I can't find of at the moment either. I got another one. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. I liked the Crank Movies, from which the guys directed this and actually like the first one. But overall i just didn't care much for it.

A couple of the better blind buys from me are both Paranorman and The Hunger Games. Plus Mother's Day Remake and Excision
My Blu rays for sale Thread The Biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan here. Favorite Movies Of the Year So Far X-Men: Days Of Future Past & The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

I've finished a third draft of my latest script. Which is a comedy called "Life As Liz" with Jen being in mind written as the lead. It's my 12th script.

DL the script in this link and PM me what you think.

Last edited by Michael Bay Fan; 12-29-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #92
Special Member

Oct 2007
Lawrence, KS

Quote:
I went into 21 with low expectations and was quite surprised. I have most of Scott's work and many other "epics" like Troy, Gladiator, Braveheart, etc and KOH just didn't do it for me. It wasn't the worst movie I've seen, just not a good blind-buy.
100: An American Werewolf in London 200: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog 300: The Sandlot 400: Citizen Kane (Digibook) 500: Brazil (Criterion) 600: Iron Man 3 (3D) 700: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D) (Steelbook)

On and ever upward.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #93
Banned

Dec 2012

heres a articular about the worse movies of 2012 i have to disagree with 2 on there list.
http://www.hitfix.com/news/20-worst-films-of-2012
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America