Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
DC 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Batman/Superman Anthology (Blu-ray)
$37.99
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Miracle Worker (Blu-ray)
$13.88
Mayhem 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.29
The Apartment (Blu-ray)
$22.09
Murder on the Orient Express (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Peanuts Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Default LG BD590 Review Thread

Just picked this up over the weekend at Best Buy for $379. I was originally going to pick up the Sony BDP-S570, but once I saw this was coming out with a hard drive at the same time I gave this a shot and I'm very glad I did. I currently own the following players for comparison: Sony BDP-S550, PS3, Panasonic BD10, Samsung BD-1000.

The LG BD590 is an excellent Blu-ray player with a convenient 250GB hard drive built-in to store movies, music, photos etc. The HD can also be used to store your BD-Live data if desired. You can search & rename files and can rip CD's directly to the hard drive or copy/play files from an external USB hard drive/memory stick. Files can also be transferred from the internal HD to a USB device. Nice looking user interfaces and dynamic info screens. Remote is nicely laid out and can control your TV if programmed. No backlighting.

Blu-ray startup from tray to menu is probably the quickest I've seen, probably besting the Playstation 3. Java menus move smooth and quickly. PQ and AQ is pretty much what you can expect from most BD players these days...excellent. There is a pretty cool Zoom function that works with BD's as well. The Gracenote feature (internet connection required) is awesome which can display the movie info with graphics for your Blu-ray and DVD's (with no playback interruption) as well as CD's.

If you're not in the mood for a BD, there are many streaming options with this player, which can be accessed via the built-in wireless B/G/N adapter or ethernet cable. Netflix, Vudu, Youtube, AccuWeather, Roxio CinemaNow, Pandora and Picasa Web Gallery. Excellent interfaces on these as well. Very smooth playback (depending on your internet connection of course). Playback of shared media files on your PC via the DLNA networking is very easy as well. Great feature!

Only minor nitpicks are the only USB port in the front behind the flip down faceplate and you can't dim/turn off the front display. There are no multichannel analog audio out jacks or S-video on this player.

Comes with composite video cables and Nero Media Essentials install CD for PC networking.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Feb 2010

Going to get the BD570 tonight. I was going to get the 590 but a little out of my budget. I heard from someone that their harddrive is already making weird noises. Plus I wouldn't use it anyways. I want it mainly for disc playback, netflix, pandora and vudu. After warranty expires wonder how much that would be to get fixed....
Old 03-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #3

Mar 2010
Default What kind of hard drive is in it?

Can you see the hard drive inside the player? What kind of hard drive is it? Does it seem easily replacable?

Can you access the hard drive over the network from a computer to copy files to/from it?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006

Someone else opened theirs and took a picture of it (I'll see if I can find it), revealing a standard 3.5" SATA hard drive. It looks very accessible, though I'm not sure if it's just a matter of swapping out a bigger drive or if there is special firmware involved?

Not sure if you can copy files to/from the HD via the DLNA network. I'll take a look.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:35 AM   #5

Mar 2010

Just got my first Bluray player today LG BD590 and not sure if I got lemon, Don't have a Blueray movie yet but played New Moon dvd and the Picture quality was worse then my cheap $69 dollar dvd player and vudu is the same, I thought the LG would play Mkv movies but doesn't but does play VOB with the same quality as DvD...I did update the firmware but didn't help.

Oh the main menu screen looks great so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks for any Help!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #6

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigez View Post
Just got my first Bluray player today LG BD590 and not sure if I got lemon, Don't have a Blueray movie yet but played New Moon dvd and the Picture quality was worse then my cheap $69 dollar dvd player and vudu is the same, I thought the LG would play Mkv movies but doesn't but does play VOB with the same quality as DvD...I did update the firmware but didn't help.

Oh the main menu screen looks great so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks for any Help!!!

Bought one yesterday also. Returned my 570 and got the 590 just to have the little extra features. Anyways.....Used Netflix instant streaming last night to watch the b&w classic movie, THEM about the giant ants and the picture quality was fantastic (that of a standard dvd). Picture was crystal clear. My advice would be.....if you have it hooked up via HDMI go to settings> then into display or picture (can't remember what it said) and the initial setting is 1080i, select the option 1080p HDMI and that may work. I watched New Moon today and the pic quality was just as good as its going to get with a standard DVD.....but still the pic quality was fantastic....hope this helps....
Old 04-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

Apr 2010

My LG BD590 is working fineso far. Is there a best way to organize photos or music transfered via USB to the hard drive?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #8

Feb 2010

I haven't tried that yet, but I don't think there is a way to organize them. Once they are loaded to the player, that's it...
Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #9

Sep 2009

I was curious if you kind and generous LG BD590 owners could do something for me. From what I am seeing and hearing this unit has a Zoom (meaning multilevel zoom were you can zoom in on a particular section of the picture, not aspect ration)button on the remote. Could one of you pop in a Blu-Ray Movie and tell me weather it does in fact zoom in during pause or playback. It may seem like a strange request but it would be a big help to me. Much appreciated!!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #10

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCobblestone View Post
I was curious if you kind and generous LG BD590 owners could do something for me. From what I am seeing and hearing this unit has a Zoom (meaning multilevel zoom were you can zoom in on a particular section of the picture, not aspect ration)button on the remote. Could one of you pop in a Blu-Ray Movie and tell me weather it does in fact zoom in during pause or playback. It may seem like a strange request but it would be a big help to me. Much appreciated!!

I popped in Sherlock Holmes blu-ray and sure enough, the zoom button works. It allows you to move the cursor side to side or up and down during playback and pause mode, and by using the red/green buttons allows you to + or - the zoom level. That is pretty cool.... I have to say, 3D or not (which mind you give me a headache anyways) is probably one of the if not the best player on the market......
Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #11

Sep 2009
San Diego, CA

Greetings all,
I have been considering this player along with its predecessor the LG 390 and the Oppo-83. My main focus would be on blu-ray PQ and AQ performances. What are you guys thought on how it handle itself in those departments?
COMO!!!
Living Room
Epson 5040ub, Yamaha RX-A850, OppO BDP-103D, Black AppleTV (4th gen), TiVO OTA Roamio, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Mirage LCR speakers, Definitive Technology surround rears, HSU ULS MK2 SW, Panamax M5300
Bedroom
Samsung 4K tv, Sony BDPS6500, TiVO mini, AppleTV
Bringing it all together: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #12

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Greetings all,
I have been considering this player along with its predecessor the LG 390 and the Oppo-83. My main focus would be on blu-ray PQ and AQ performances. What are you guys thought on how it handle itself in those departments?
I think it would be great but unlike the BD390 it doesn't have 7.1 outputs. Still a great player and I highly reccomend it to anyone. The OPPO seems like a great player but for that price they could offer extras like Netflix, Pandora etc....My opinion is that the OPPO is way over priced and overrated. The BD590 is 379.99 but packed with lots of features. Netflix, Pandora, VUDU, picassa and a few more and unlike the OPPO has a built in 250GB harddrive. The blu-ray pic quality is fantastic as well as the sound, I love it....so does anyone else who owns one.....move over OPPO, there is a better player out there!!
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 plasma/Panasonic BDT-310 blu-ray player/Pioneer DV-410V (Multi-Region) DVD player/DirecTV Geni/Anthem MRX-500/Panamax M5100-PM Power conditioner/Paradigm Monitor 7 v.6's fronts, CC-190 v.6 center, ADP-190's v.6 rear /Paradigm Monitor Sub-10/URC MX-980/URC MRF-350 base station
Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #13

Sep 2009
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp71 View Post
I think it would be great but unlike the BD390 it doesn't have 7.1 outputs. Still a great player and I highly reccomend it to anyone. The OPPO seems like a great player but for that price they could offer extras like Netflix, Pandora etc....My opinion is that the OPPO is way over priced and overrated. The BD590 is 379.99 but packed with lots of features. Netflix, Pandora, VUDU, picassa and a few more and unlike the OPPO has a built in 250GB harddrive. The blu-ray pic quality is fantastic as well as the sound, I love it....so does anyone else who owns one.....move over OPPO, there is a better player out there!!
Whoa! I hope you just didn't start a war with the Oppo folks, lol!
Thanks for your input, I won't be needing any 7.1 analog since I'm going straight HDMI. I love pandora and netflix streaming isn't that important to me. I am shooting for the best possible player in the blu Ray department. The Oppo is alway rated the top performer but I don't have any SACD or DVD-Audio to worry about as well.
COMO!!!
Living Room
Epson 5040ub, Yamaha RX-A850, OppO BDP-103D, Black AppleTV (4th gen), TiVO OTA Roamio, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Mirage LCR speakers, Definitive Technology surround rears, HSU ULS MK2 SW, Panamax M5300
Bedroom
Samsung 4K tv, Sony BDPS6500, TiVO mini, AppleTV
Bringing it all together: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Old 04-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #14

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Whoa! I hope you just didn't start a war with the Oppo folks, lol!
Thanks for your input, I won't be needing any 7.1 analog since I'm going straight HDMI. I love pandora and netflix streaming isn't that important to me. I am shooting for the best possible player in the blu Ray department. The Oppo is alway rated the top performer but I don't have any SACD or DVD-Audio to worry about as well.
Jeez....I hope not. From what I read, the 590 is one of the blu-ray top dogs.....all brands are a matter of favorites and opinions....I am a recent Samsung to LG crossover and owning this, I think it is one hell of a player.....so is the model down, the 570 which I have in my bedroom.....
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 plasma/Panasonic BDT-310 blu-ray player/Pioneer DV-410V (Multi-Region) DVD player/DirecTV Geni/Anthem MRX-500/Panamax M5100-PM Power conditioner/Paradigm Monitor 7 v.6's fronts, CC-190 v.6 center, ADP-190's v.6 rear /Paradigm Monitor Sub-10/URC MX-980/URC MRF-350 base station
Old 04-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #15

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp71 View Post
I popped in Sherlock Holmes blu-ray and sure enough, the zoom button works. It allows you to move the cursor side to side or up and down during playback and pause mode, and by using the red/green buttons allows you to + or - the zoom level. That is pretty cool.... I have to say, 3D or not (which mind you give me a headache anyways) is probably one of the if not the best player on the market......

Excellent! Thank You very much for your help! I assume all the Blu-Ray player in their line have that function then?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #16

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCobblestone View Post
Excellent! Thank You very much for your help! I assume all the Blu-Ray player in their line have that function then?

Your welcome.....I am assuming so does the BD 570, seeing the remotes are the exact same....The 570 is an excellent player also.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
Expert Member

Apr 2010

Quick question as I am considering this Blu Ray Player...is this Player 3D ready and can BD Live be accessible on this player. If they are two answers that have been answered already, my aplogies!

Thanks!
Mike
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006

Even though this is a brand new player LG decided not to go the 3D route with this series. You can access BD-Live content with it, however.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Expert Member

Apr 2010

Thank you goodstuff. Without it being 3D ready, do you think its definitely an player to get right now. It's not like I am planning on getting a 3D TV anytime soon. I want to wait until they are out on the market for a little while so I can avoid any issues.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006

I have no intention of going 3D since it gives me eyestrain, so that was never a consideration for me. The built-in HD was a huge draw for me, as I can dump my media onto it and works great, plus network streaming from the PC and stuff like Netflix/Vudu/Youtube is a plus. It's wicked fast at loading and I haven't had any issues with playing any BD's yet. I love mine and it's well worth the money IMO.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders