Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Opera (Blu-ray)
$18.00
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Silence of the Lambs (Blu-ray)
$30.37
Prep & Landing / Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
An Actor's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$27.37
The Miracle Worker (Blu-ray)
$13.88
Person of Interest: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.20
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #1

Feb 2010
Default Lg bd570

I just purchased the LG BD570 and wanted to let everyone know my experience. Setting up to my wireless network was a breeze and had netflix, vudu and pandora working in minutes. Sound is great and picture quality is beautiful. Great looking player and worth every cent for someone not willing to dish out close to 400 for the 590. Very happy with my purchase and highly reccomend it to everyone....
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Power Member

Apr 2008

Cool man. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

My BD570 from Amazon is being delivered today. Great value over the 590, but I'm a little apprehensive as following the AVSforum thread, there's alot of complaints about playback issues with both blu-ray discs and home network files. But then the AVS thread for the Samsung BDP2500/2550 has folks ready to storm Samsung headquarters with pitchforks they're so upset over BD titles that don't play at all or have playback issues, and my 2500 has played every disc I've ever thrown at it perfectly. Either some folks are overly quick to complain, or I have a home theater guardian angel that looks out for me.

Last edited by The Duke; 03-09-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #4

Feb 2010

I read that Duke. I have the Samsung BD-P3600 that had no issues at all except netflix instant streaming. Some movies would constantly freeze and you would have to stop and start and keep repeating it. I sold it for the LG. You are going to LOVE it.....the features are great. Sound is great and pic quality is beautiful!!! enjoy and let me know what you think of it..
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Well, the first BD I tried yesterday was the much reported problem disc Up and yeah, at the newsreel clips in chapter 1 the player suddenly skipped ahead to chapter 2.

But, I need to try some other discs - I thought I had a problem with the receiver yesterday when I suddenly wasn't getting any center channel. I was ready to blame the BD570 for that, but when I checked my speakers I realized I'd moved the center speaker yesterday and, in doing so, knocked loose one of the speaker wires.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 AM   #6

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Well, the first BD I tried yesterday was the much reported problem disc Up and yeah, at the newsreel clips in chapter 1 the player suddenly skipped ahead to chapter 2.

But, I need to try some other discs - I thought I had a problem with the receiver yesterday when I suddenly wasn't getting any center channel. I was ready to blame the BD570 for that, but when I checked my speakers I realized I'd moved the center speaker yesterday and, in doing so, knocked loose one of the speaker wires.
Duke, I am glad that I found someone else in the same boat as I am. I too noticed the erratic playback of UP Blu-Ray. The player skips ahead at every chapter flip. If you let is play it jumps from 11 minutes to later than 1 hour into the movie. I tried 3 different discs of the same movie with same results. Those same discs played fine on a Samsumg BD player. I called LG support and for now they have promised a new firmware release to fix this issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #7

Mar 2010
Default BD570 Issues

I just setup my BD570 blu ray player and found the same UP movie skipping issues. I also have an issue with regular DVD's upconverting to 1080p, It plays back but flickers. My LG 55 LCD is a 1080p HD TV. I called customer service and they said standard DVD's only upconvert to 1080i. So when I changed it to 1080i it worked. Is this true that you need to switch back and forth between 1080p for blu ray dvds and 1080i for standard dvd's. This doesnt sound right. I thought everything upconverts to 1080p. Is anyone else having this issue?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimaza1 View Post
Duke, I am glad that I found someone else in the same boat as I am. I too noticed the erratic playback of UP Blu-Ray. The player skips ahead at every chapter flip. If you let is play it jumps from 11 minutes to later than 1 hour into the movie. I tried 3 different discs of the same movie with same results. Those same discs played fine on a Samsumg BD player. I called LG support and for now they have promised a new firmware release to fix this issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Yes, in the AVSforum thread for the 570/590 'UP' was reported to have the skipping issues several times. Members seem to have narrowed it down to an issue with HDMI control (the function that when you connect the player to an LG TV the TV remote control can control the player through the HDMI connection). Sure enough I tested it with the player connected to my older Philips LCD TV with no HDMI control capability 'UP' plays perfectly, but when connected in my HT through my Onkyo 507 receiver & Panasonic projector, both of which support the HDMI control function, it has the skipping problem. That should be fairly simple for LG to fix with a firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpcorp View Post
I just setup my BD570 blu ray player and found the same UP movie skipping issues. I also have an issue with regular DVD's upconverting to 1080p, It plays back but flickers. My LG 55 LCD is a 1080p HD TV. I called customer service and they said standard DVD's only upconvert to 1080i. So when I changed it to 1080i it worked. Is this true that you need to switch back and forth between 1080p for blu ray dvds and 1080i for standard dvd's. This doesnt sound right. I thought everything upconverts to 1080p. Is anyone else having this issue?
That sounds pretty strange as just about any player with DVD upconverting upconverts to 1080p. I haven't tried any DVDs as I have a player with Reon processor that upconverts really well. Does your TV have a function to tell you what input resolution it's receiving? Try setting the resolution in the player to AUTO and see if it doesn't output the correct resolution for DVD and blu-ray.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #9

Feb 2010

The day I set up my BD570, I got a firmware update and today when I turned my player on, another firmware update came through.....I read that LG, unlike other brands such as Samsung, keeps their players updated fairly often...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #10

Mar 2010

I discovered another bug in the player and it is easily reproducible. I was playing the Terminator BD and during the movie I decided to watch some special features. So I pressed the disc menu selected special features then deleted scenes and played the first deleted scene. Once the player finished playing that deleted scene, it resumed the movie. I repeated the above process to try and select another deleted scene but this time instead of playing anything the player simply switched off (without the "Off" message scrolling on the lcd panel). I though I might have accidentally presses the power button, so I repeated the whole thing with the same result every time. I am getting a feeling this one is a very buggy product from LG.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

You might try changing your output setting to 60Hz in the Display setup menu if you're using 1080p24 - cnet updated their initially highly positive review -

Quote:
Update: LG has issued a statement regarding the playback problems some users are experiencing:

LG takes seriously the feedback from customers regarding sporadic BD570 and BD590 playback issues when some Blu-ray discs are viewed in the 1080p/24 mode. We are informing users that by switching the video output to the 1080p/60 mode they can avoid this issue and still enjoy Full HD1080p playback of the disc. We are working to develop a permanent solution, and will provide additional details on its release in the near future.

Additionally, we've been able to confirm the issue on our review sample with "Up" and "Terminator: Salvation". Our previous testing was only in 1080p/60, which is why we didn't notice it previously. As it stands now, we don't feel the problem is significant enough to warrant a rating decrease on either player--especially since 1080p60 playback is fine--but we'll continue to monitor user feedback to see if the issue becomes more widespread.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20000636-1.html

The other issue well documented in the AVSforum thread is that whether playing a 1080p avi or mkv file from your PC via DNLA or copy it to a USB dreive (or even internal drive on the 590), the player craps out around the 40 minute mark every time, and the only fix is to reboot the player, skip ahead to the 40 minute mark, and resume playback. Happened every single time for me. I printed out my return label from Amazon last weekend. I think LG clearly rushed these to the market without extensive testing & working out the kinks. I'm sure they'll get the kinks worked out eventually, but I'm not much for paying retail and being used as a beta tester.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #12

Mar 2010
Default REPLY to SWPCORP LGBD570 1080P/1080I ISSUE

Regarding LG bd570 1080P/1080I issues.
I Think LG support is blowing smoke on this problem. I hooked up my new LG BD570 to my Panasonic S2 series plasma with an HDMI connection. I was aware of the fact that the LG comes with the resolution set to 1080I so I reset it to 1080P. Here is what I found,

1. If nothing is changed, (no power off or HDMI port switch) both BD and DVD send a 1080P signal to the TV.

2 if I power either the TV or LG570 off the LG resolution switches to the "ANY
setting and display of the input on the TV shows the signal being sent as
1080I. According to LG the "any" setting automatically adjust output to the
native resolution of the display as signaled to it by the TV through the
HDMI port. As my TV is native 1080P I am not believing this unless there is
a problem with the TV. I disabled the Viera Link settings on the TV as
Viera link does a bunch of communication to attached devices. This didn't
help.

3. If I switch the TV input to another HDMI port such as the DVR the LG
switches back to the "any" setting and outputs a 1080I signal.

Bottom Line:
Although Having to cycle through to the setup menu and picture setting on the BD570 to get 1080P output is a pain (a total combination of nearly nearly a dozen key and arrow strokes) I am not going to pursue it any further. The picture from both blu ray and regular DVDs is terrific and in the limited comparisons I have done my non expert eyes can't detect any differences between 1080I and 1080P outputs.
Other than the above issue I am very happy with the BD570 and the wireless
streaming from Netflix has worked very well.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #13

Mar 2010
Default BD570 or BD390?

A week or so ago, I was all ready to order the 570 (to connect to our new LG 42LH90) but after seeing all the comments about problems with BluRay jumping/freezing, upconverting issues, and complaints about image quality vs. the 390, I'm having second (and third and fourth) thoughts. (Most of these comments have been in the AVS forums but there have been some here, too.)

I want something that will play BluRays reliably but also something I can use wirelessly to view movies via Vudu and Netflix.

The 570 certainly has a more elegant/slim profile but the negative comments have me concerned.

I wonder if I'm only seeing a small subset of user comments - the folks who have experienced problems and/or are generally dissatisfied. Thoughts? Advice?

Many thanks in advance

Many thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #14

Mar 2010
Default Buy the BD570

To: JustJim. although I posted a comment on 1080I/1080P issues I would definitely buy it again. My complaint could possibly be a problem with my TV.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #15

Mar 2010
Angry Lg bd570 hdmi out

I purchased the 570 on March 3rd and now it has to go back. I turned it on last night and after the LG boot screen finished, I got the light blue screen for a second and it went blank. I can get an output from the composite and component outputs but the HDMI goes to black for some reason. No video or audio. If I unplug the HDMI from the back, the screen comes on fro a second and then back to black.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #16

Feb 2010
Thumbs up

I had brought my player back to Best Buy the 24th and exchanged it for the 590. Loved the 570 and had no known issues. I wanted the extra features like the on board 250 GB hard drive. It also has a larger counter/clock and an upgraded power cord that you plug into the back of the player and is not attached like the 570....watched new moon with the wife (played flawlessly and also UP played flawlessly).....love this player, glad I got it. You can rip cd's and store them to the hard drive, and purchase movies from VUDU and store them also.....Had 2 firmware updates so far and one was before I watched UP, wonder if that helped? I also have mine hooked up via HDMI to my Panasonic plasma...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #17

Mar 2010
Angry Worst consumer electronics product I ever bought

With the BD570, I have had nothing but problems. First the UP blu-ray issue followed by Terminator blu-ray. Both seem to have gone away after I switched the output from 24p to 60 as suggested by LG. But y'day I tried paying Toy Story 2 blu-ray and the player won't load the disc. It just kept loading forever then the lcd panel display the message OPEN and nothing happened. I tried to eject the disc but the player didn't respond. I had to unplug the player, plug it back in and then eject the disc before the player tried to load it. I rushed back to TRU to get a replacement disc and that to exhibited the same behavior. This player is a nothing but a piece of sh*t. Unfortunately I bought it from an online retailer who does not accept returns.

If you want a blu ray player that really works, stay away from this bullcr*p.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #18

Mar 2010
Default Lg bd570 going back

I talked to LG customer service on "live Chat" and they were getting ready to have me send mine back but I told them I only had it for 2 weeks and was going to send it back to Sonic Electronix Sales for replacement. I hope that goes OK.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #19

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimaza1 View Post
With the BD570, I have had nothing but problems. First the UP blu-ray issue followed by Terminator blu-ray. Both seem to have gone away after I switched the output from 24p to 60 as suggested by LG. But y'day I tried paying Toy Story 2 blu-ray and the player won't load the disc. It just kept loading forever then the lcd panel display the message OPEN and nothing happened. I tried to eject the disc but the player didn't respond. I had to unplug the player, plug it back in and then eject the disc before the player tried to load it. I rushed back to TRU to get a replacement disc and that to exhibited the same behavior. This player is a nothing but a piece of sh*t. Unfortunately I bought it from an online retailer who does not accept returns.

If you want a blu ray player that really works, stay away from this bullcr*p.
You must have gotten a serious "lemon" I had the 570 for about 2 weeks and watched 4 blu-ray discs, streamed netflix. pandora and vudu and had not 1 issue.....hmm.....might be a lemon.......just exchanged mine for the 590....awsome unit...sorry to hear you had all those issues...
Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #20

Mar 2010
Default Home screen doesn't show

I just purchased the LG BD570. I plugged it in and Discs play fine and the Home Screen shows ONLY when I hit "stop" when playing a disc. It doesn't show when a disc is not in the machine. I have a Mitsubishi VS50805. Any ideas?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders