COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$22.98
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Like Water for Chocolate (Blu-ray)
$9.29

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #181
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_8ball View Post
Wait so 007 is not just a handle for whatever agent is in the current movie? The original creator of the character intended to have a white British agent who doesn't age and has stayed in amazing shape since 1953? That’s why there shouldn't be a black 007? Or it’s a combination of that and the thought that "they" would be upset if "we" turned Shaft or Blade white? I can't be the only one who thinks this whole argument is ridiculous?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #182
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Thanks for your important contribution.

No wait, the other thing ...
Oh haha, reusing the same joke, great comedy there.
[Show spoiler]I should also point out the irony of your post

Since you take fault with my post, apparently you see this discussion going places then? Because what I see are people just saying the same stuff over and over again. Just agree to disagree and move along. No side is going to convince the other side of their argument and both arguments have been clearly stated, if not overstated.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 04-23-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #183
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Exactly. Why should you care if he is white either (as the character was written)? The whole discussion is imo ridiculous frankly.
I don't care if the next Bond (or the one after that or the one after that) is white. I don't care if he's black either.

As for the discussion being ridiculous, well, yeah. Pierce Brosnan said Colin Salmon would make a good Bond.

So what.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #184

Mar 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
In certain parts of the U.S. the racist people are fine with black people saying certain N words, etc but when a white person says it, not okay... Double standards are pretty typical by those people. Pretty sure you aren't going to see a channel labeled as WET anytime soon to mirror BET.
WET? It's called NBC. No wait -- they have The Voice and Community, which shockingly has three non-white supporting characters. Plus there's that black lady who chimes in occasionally on Parks and Rec. Why in the world would anybody think there'd be a need for BET? Are you upset that golfers have their own channel? Or that conservative white people formed FOX News because they felt they weren't being served by the other news outlets? An under-served market = the chance to make money. "White people" are not an under-served entertainment market; hence, no need for a WET.

And as for your comment about double standards and the N word, do you ever talk smack about your siblings? Call them names or disrespected them? How would you feel if a stranger called them names or disrespected them? You probably wouldn't like it. No, it's not the same thing as using a racial slur against a person of a different race, but it's close enough for the purposes of this argument.

And BTW there are plenty of black people who cringe when they hear the N word coming from the mouths of the black people who use the word. A lot of women call themselves the B word now. Same thing with gays and the F word. Maybe it's taking a hateful word back. Maybe it's the ultimate in self-loathing. Either way, why is it such a privilege to use the N word? Are you really missing out on all that much?

But back to Bond... who cares? It's not going to happen. Pierce Brosnan made an offhand comment.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #185
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite race-baiting thread on the Citadel".
Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #186
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksmith74 View Post
Ian Fleming's original sketch of what James Bond should look like... He sure don't look black to me.
Ian Fleming thought that someone who looked like songwriter Hoagy Carmichael should play Bond. Carmichael was very ordinary looking (and I can't decide whether that drawing you put up looks like Carmichael or not). Fleming thought that a secret agent should fit in, not stand out from the crowd and therefore be ordinary....probably more like Alec Guinness was as George Smiley.

But that doesn't make for a good movie hero who would also attract women, so they went with Sean Connery, who most certainly stood out from the crowd. So since Sean Connery looks nothing like the drawing you put up, one can also make the case that Bond could be black.

While Bond is supposed to be Scottish and attended Eton, I'd bet there's nowhere in the books where Fleming explicitly described Bond as Caucasian. I know people would freak out, but I wouldn't have a problem with a black actor playing Bond. It's Bond's actions and personality that count, not his skin pigmentation. If Sean Connery's Bond could have screen surgery to look Japanese and the current Bond can be blonde, then Bond could also be black, IMO.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #187
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Oh haha, reusing the same joke, great comedy there.
[Show spoiler]I should also point out the irony of your post

Since you take fault with my post, apparently you see this discussion going places then? Because what I see are people just saying the same stuff over and over again. Just agree to disagree and move along. No side is going to convince the other side of their argument and both arguments have been clearly stated, if not overstated.
Not saying it is going anywhere, but you coming to post that it's going nowhere was

1) adding nothing

2) just bumping it up for other people to continue "going nowhere", hence defeating the very purpose of your very own posting.

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies