Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #361
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Didn't offend me, as I know its a comedy, its just a movie, and a darn fine one.
Everybody wants all movies to be super PC these days
Can you imagine if they tried releasing The Kentucky Fried Movie today? Even though it's a comedy the outcry about stereotypes, language used in the film, and content would probably get the filmed shelved permanently before it ever saw the light of day in theaters.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #362
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades1370 View Post
Can you imagine if they tried releasing The Kentucky Fried Movie today? Even though it's a comedy the outcry about stereotypes, language used in the film, and content would probably get the filmed shelved permanently before it ever saw the light of day in theaters.
then there is Blazing Saddles...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #363
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Yes, but it's not nearly as offensive... to so many ethnic groups and genres in one movie.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #364
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades1370 View Post
There has been plenty of bad taste comedy with offensive stereotypes and bad language since. Just look at the Scary Movie franchise and it's many imitations which still persist or the comedies of Sacha Baron Cohen and Seth MacFarlane. Kentucky Fried Movie and the type of bad taste sketch comedy it spawned set out to be offensive and outrageous. Unlike those films Breakfast at Tiffany's has no self-awareness about its racial caricature and simply is a product of a less enlightened time in terms of race and civil rights.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #365
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
"I'm the Lord of the Harvest."

2014 Top 10: 1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3) Gone Girl 4) The Raid 2 5) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 6) Boyhood 7) X-Men: Days of Future Past 8) John Wick 9) The LEGO Movie 10) Edge of Tomorrow
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #366
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Lets just like movies for what they are, MOVIES, they are not real life!
they are a fantasy, and fun way to spend two hours.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #367
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Lets just like movies for what they are, MOVIES, they are not real life!
That's an easy thing to say if you are not in a minority that gets discriminated against.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #368
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
That's an easy thing to say if you are not in a minority that gets discriminated against.
Not trying to offend my friend
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #369
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Not trying to offend my friend
I'm sure you're not, but some people who never had to live with discrimination have little understanding how damaging negative stereotypes can be to people who are being discriminated against. There also is a huge difference in how stereotypes are being used in comedy and some people don't seem to be able to tell the difference between when stereotypes are being satirised and when racial or cultural characteristics are being ridiculed.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #370
Special Member

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

I know it's a comedy too (which is fair enough), I just thought his portrayal of the character was naff and OTT TBH, like "Is there really any need for that?" I actually hate PC
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #371
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

Quote:
I'm sure you're not, but some people who never had to live with discrimination have little understanding how damaging negative stereotypes can be to people who are being discriminated against. There also is a huge difference in how stereotypes are being used in comedy and some people don't seem to be able to tell the difference between when stereotypes are being satirised and when racial or cultural characteristics are being ridiculed.
This, very much.

People always want a 1 to 1 comparison to be able to point at, so that context and intent don't have to be considered.

Blazing Saddles was co-written by Richard Pryor of all people. Does anyone really think that black people are the foolish ones in Blazing Saddles?

I guess the best, super lazy way to judge jokes or characters if you really can't wrap your head around it is: Punch up, not down.

Mickey Rooney's character in this movie is punching down.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #372
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock, stone View Post
This, very much.
People always want a 1 to 1 comparison to be able to point at, so that context and intent don't have to be considered.
Blazing Saddles was co-written by Richard Pryor of all people. Does anyone really think that black people are the foolish ones in Blazing Saddles?

I guess the best, super lazy way to judge jokes or characters if you really can't wrap your head around it is: Punch up, not down.
Mickey Rooney's character in this movie is punching down.
Do us a favor, would'ya? Punch out and go preach someplace else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
Rooney's performance is outdated and racist even for 1961, IMO. Even taking the fact it's a comedy I can't defend the portrayal of that character. It's not just making Asians 'look bad', its stereotyping the look, accent, mannerisms, everything. Of course he's an actor acting, but he must have thought at some point it was offensive.
I give you a pass on that razz because your next post showed that you have some perspective. Most comedy doesn't make anyone "look bad" unless the person looking is already a racist moron. Would Rooney's performance be done that way today? Probably not in a mainstream adult film, but certainly in one of those big ticket "teen/young adult/drinking crowd" movies where they take shots at everyone. It's not like it was a major focus of the film. It was one character. And would the same lines have been as funny if they'd hired an Asian for the part? Would it have been less offensive?

What about Marlon Brando in The Teahouse of the August Moon? It was an award-winning performance where the native - played by a gringo - was actually the sharp one, and yet some of the same noisemakers whine about it. Maybe we should burn all the movies where white dudes played Mexicans and Indians? Whoops, there goes The Professionals (shame on you, Jack Palance) and who knows how many others? And what about The Godfather? Hell, Brando's not Italian, should I be offended at that "stereotype" as well? Where does this bullshit end? How many films will be left intact if we clear out every single group who might be offended? And how honest will film portrayals be if viewers are too dumb to see that it's a portrayal of an individual, not a group? And there is a big difference.

I grew up watching The Amos and Andy Show. Great show! I loved it and never once thought it made fun of black folk. It was the principal television platform for a whole generation of great black comics and now you can't see it anywhere - because a bunch of sanctimonious a-holes had their way by brandishing white guilt. And who lost out? Some damn fine black comedians. Gimmie a break! Real hate usually wears a gun or a blade or a rope, you can see it coming and it should be stomped on before we get another Hitler - but comedy should be left alone before PC whitewashes everything and we lose all touch with reality. Laughing people are more inclined to talk than to lynch or bayonet anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Yes, and the Wayan brothers portrayed bubble-headed white girls in White Chicks, but you don't hear any belly-aching about that (other than it was a terrible movie). There's also been a bit of backlash about Flower Drum Song by some because of its portrayal of asians despite it being an almost entirely asian cast with the exeption of Juanita Hall who is african american playing an asian character. The musical is based on a novel by C.Y. Yee a chinese american author who has also recently been accused of perpetuating asian stereotypes. Bottom line is, take the movie for what its worth and the time it was made. Peoples opinions and tastes have evolved, so does that mean no one is allowed to view or enjoy these movies? Look, if it offends you, don't watch or buy it.
Yes! +1!
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

Remember, folks : it's only 30 days until Black Friday!!!

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #373
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Do us a favor, would'ya? Punch out and go preach someplace else.
No one's preaching, are they? But why are you reacting so strongly to the concept of critical thinking?

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:49 AM   #374
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock, stone View Post
No one's preaching, are they? But why are you reacting so strongly to the concept of critical thinking?

Cheers.
It wasn't meant as personally directed at you as it appears to sound - though, as I look at it now, it looks more like that than I want. It was a long piece to write and I just didn't catch how un-cute that sounded when I was going for razz-like humor - so, my apologies. PC just makes my skin crawl - especially when applied to the past. The past is what it is. We need to learn from it and become better, but this Orwellian tendency to erase and rewrite the past undoes any learning, any advancement. Obviously, as a historian, it bugs me.
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

Remember, folks : it's only 30 days until Black Friday!!!

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #375
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

With regard to Mickey Rooney's controversial role in Breakfast at Tiffany's, I think that the inclusion of the supplementary feature, "Mr. Yunioshi: An Asian Perspective", is a nice touch to this Blu-ray presentation as a whole, because it sheds light on the place of the role in cinema history from an honest perspective.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a wonderful and light-hearted movie where the filmmakers most likely had the best intentions at the time. Mickey Rooney himself reportedly stated later in his career that he was heartbroken at the idea that his role in the film might have offended people, and that he would not have accepted the role had he know that. The filmmakers were not bad people, but, like so many others, they were simply people of their times.

Instead of being offended by Breakfast at Tiffany's, I prefer to think of it as a light-hearted work of cinema that speaks volumes about how much progress society has made in subsequent decades, because it paints a sincere picture of what life must have been like in those days when even people of noble and innocuous intentions were naive about how the rest of the world viewed their actions. It's tough not to wince at the Mr. Yunioshi scenes when watching the movie right now in 2014, and this Blu-ray presentation makes a special effort to show us that it is a good thing that we now react the way that we do when we are watching it from a contemporary perspective.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #376
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
With regard to Mickey Rooney's controversial role in Breakfast at Tiffany's, I think that the inclusion of the supplementary feature, "Mr. Yunioshi: An Asian Perspective", is a nice touch to this Blu-ray presentation as a whole, because it sheds light on the place of the role in cinema history from an honest perspective.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a wonderful and light-hearted movie where the filmmakers most likely had the best intentions at the time. Mickey Rooney himself reportedly stated later in his career that he was heartbroken at the idea that his role in the film might have offended people, and that he would not have accepted the role had he know that. The filmmakers were not bad people, but, like so many others, they were simply people of their times.

Instead of being offended by Breakfast at Tiffany's, I prefer to think of it as a light-hearted work of cinema that speaks volumes about how much progress society has made in subsequent decades, because it paints a sincere picture of what life must have been like in those days when even people of noble and innocuous intentions were naive about how the rest of the world viewed their actions. It's tough not to wince at the Mr. Yunioshi scenes when watching the movie right now in 2014, and this Blu-ray presentation makes a special effort to show us that it is a good thing that we now react the way that we do when we are watching it from a contemporary perspective.
Well said
"I'm the Lord of the Harvest."

2014 Top 10: 1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3) Gone Girl 4) The Raid 2 5) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 6) Boyhood 7) X-Men: Days of Future Past 8) John Wick 9) The LEGO Movie 10) Edge of Tomorrow
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #377
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
It wasn't meant as personally directed at you as it appears to sound - though, as I look at it now, it looks more like that than I want. It was a long piece to write and I just didn't catch how un-cute that sounded when I was going for razz-like humor - so, my apologies. PC just makes my skin crawl - especially when applied to the past. The past is what it is. We need to learn from it and become better, but this Orwellian tendency to erase and rewrite the past undoes any learning, any advancement. Obviously, as a historian, it bugs me.
No worries.

"PC" and what the term has come to mean is exactly part of the problem. It grew out of people wanting a list of "safe words" that they couldn't get in trouble for saying, so that they wouldn't have to deal with any of the underlying issues the words represented.

Rooney's character doesn't make Audrey Hepburn any less luminous, but I think that it is still worth acknowledging why it such a bad example, especially when it is held up as equal in style and content as several of the satirical examples named in this thread (Ali G/Borat, Blazing Saddles, etc)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #378

Apr 2014

Just got this today at Target for $7.50. I like how they included a feature talking about asian people in movies. And I liked how the director now says he's sorry he casted Micky Rooney as a sterotical asian man. Yet the director at that time thought it was ok. But other then that this has always been a great classic movie.
Answering a question with a link isn't really answering the question
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America