Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
Downton Abbey: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$73.98
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Ben-Hur (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #241

Oct 2014
North Bay, ON; Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
The poor image quality on the Blu-ray (as I perceive it) has nothing to do with the 35 mm source or the scanning techniques. It's the digital tools they used to clean it up. Too much DNR and edge enhancement which may have been applied back in 2007 and seems to be baked into their master. What may have looked good downrezzed to 480p back then doesn't cut it on Blu-ray. I'd be fine with a soft looking transfer if it looked like film. I'd even be fine with some light dirt and scratches. But the problems I'm seeing on the disc are the result of too much electronic processing.

Take a look at the edges surrounding the people in this shot. Film just doesn't look like this. http://images3.static-bluray.com/rev...9_19_1080p.jpg
I just picked up the Blu-ray yesterday, and that particular shot (The one that I captured!) looks OK at 720p on my PC Laptop. By comparison, the same shot from the DVD looks a bit soft, and the edging while less pronounced, is still a bit noticeable to me.

Visually, my preference leans towards the Blu-ray, although I do believe it could benefit from a fresh 4K restoration!

In addition, the Bonus Features all look like HD to me, despite most of them being listed as 480i within the Blu-ray.com Review, and the mixed 480i/1080i desgination within the Blu-ray liner notes! The average bitrate of around 15 mbps + is certainly indicative of it to me!

CHEERS!

EDIT: Upon rechecking THE BEATLES IN HELP! 30 minute Documentary, I did notice some stair stepping in a Print Screen capture, so I suppose 480i is a possible setting for some of the extras. What strikes me as odd is the MPEG-4 AVC type and 15 mbps average bitrate, and a file size of close to 6 GB! This seems rather excessive for a 480i (If that's what it is!) video, no?

Last edited by Tboneator64; 03-31-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #242

Oct 2014
North Bay, ON; Canada

Last night, I gave the Blu-ray a fresh viewing. The following are my observations in comparison with the 2007 DVD release and otherwise:

Pros -
- Unlike the DVD, I noticed no artifacting on the Blu-ray.
- The colors do pop, in a very good way!
- While it seems likely that the 1.75:1 Aspect Ratio would have been more accurate to the era of the original Theatrical release of HELP!, I aesthetically prefer the released 1.66:1 AR, as it is my opinion that a bit too much would be cropped from the former AR.
- The audio is quite good, and it's nice to have multiple options.

Cons -
- At times, the imaging doesn't appear quite as detailed as it should be, though it is an improvement over the DVD. That said, unlike some other observers, I don't believe the Blu-ray version was upscaled from the SD DVD; certainly not with the HD Transfer readily available! A fresh, 4K (Or higher!) scanning would be helpful, but given the considerable effort in restoring the previous HD scan, that doesn't seem very likely, in my opinion!
- At the LPCM 2.0 audio setting, I noticed a bit of the sound was missing from Ticket To Ride. I found this particularly noticeable near the song's ending!
- Instead of two Multi Channel options, perhaps the long absent original mono soundtrack could have finally been included; although based on how Ticket To Ride sounds on the LPCM 2.0 setting (With some sounds absent!), that soundtrack might come pretty close to the original, no?
EDIT: Having just listened to Ticket To Ride on all three audio settings with Headphones (Plus the title track in LPCM 2.0), I now can't help but wonder whether the 2.0 Stereo soundtrack was at the very least, an attempt to somewhat recreate what some have stated to be an originally monaural soundtrack. At least for my setups, the LPCM 2.0 audio is NOT the default setting, so it likely has to be manually selected.

Other Observations -
- I've read about other anomalies, such as too high a level of image stabilization at times causing the background to move, rather than The Beatles, and other performers. While I had forgot to look for this during most of last night's viewing, nothing painfully obvious jumped out at me, either! I'm thinking this might be somewhat a device setting and/or compatibility issue. At this point, I'm inclined to consider this a "Your Mileage Might Vary" issue!

Conclusion -
- Overall, grading on a curve, the Blu-ray version of HELP! (1965) is by far the best that I've seen and heard among the 2007 DVD and the 1987 VHS versions (I've never viewed the Laserdisc or any other DVD releases. Regarding that VHS Edition; when I compared this with the '07 DVD several years back (Using the final Sewing Machine shot that preceded the closing credits!), it appeared to my eyes that the former was missing nearly as much information on the sides, as the latter was missing on the top and bottom. Of course, the visual quality on the VHS cassette didn't look too hot by comparison, either! Thus, I'll take the (Approximately!) original Aspect Ratio over that not quite Full Matte version any day!

CHEERS!

Last edited by Tboneator64; 11-21-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
chriszilla (11-22-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America