COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Disney Infinity (PS3)
$49.32
Battlefield 4 (PS3)
$21.77
WWE 2K14 (PS3)
$23.99
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (PS3)
$9.99
FIFA 14 (PS3)
$29.57
NBA 2K14 (PS3)
$24.84
Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS3)
$30.65
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
$19.99
Diablo III (PS3)
$25.44
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
$34.99
Drakengard 3 (PS3)
$29.99
WWE '13 (PS3)
$19.99
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3)
$33.53
Dragon's Crown (PS3)
$24.38
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil (PS3)
$24.83
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! (PS3)
$10.41
Dark Souls II (PS3)
$74.99
Dark Souls II (PS3)
$29.90
Minecraft Playstation 3 Edition (PS3)
$18.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA
Default Multiple HDMI out from PS3

I recently bought a new TV for a back room in my house that is connected to my main home theater room(where my PS3 is). I've been interested in using my PS3 on the new TV, but didn't want to disconnect it each time.

I figure the only way to use my PS3 from it's current location and render it on my new TV would be to run a 50" HDMI cable through my drop ceiling, but I'd likely need an HDMI switch. I know some of these can run into compatibility issues between TVs and the PS3.

Does anyone have some recommendations or experience with this? I'd love to be able to use my PS3 in this new room while keeping it where it is. A remote that control the HDMI switch would be invaluable as well.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

I'd recommend doing your switching through an AVR (Audio/Video Receiver). A decent HDMI splitter/switcher will run you about 200.00 by itself - theres just not a big market for them. And from my experience, they're very temperamental. Though, it's been a few years since I had need for one, so it's possible they've improved their reliability some.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #3

Feb 2007
San Diego

You can try looking into one of these: passive switch, since it has a built in amplifier it should help with the longer run. I use an older model at work and have had no problems with it.

-Guido
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA

How about this device?

http://www.amazon.com/Apogee-HDMI-3x...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it in my Amazon wishlist for a long time -- something I was interested in awhile back that I must have researched. Any issues with using this?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeApOn View Post
How about this device?

http://www.amazon.com/Apogee-HDMI-3x...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it in my Amazon wishlist for a long time -- something I was interested in awhile back that I must have researched. Any issues with using this?
That device has multiple inputs, but only one output. I don't know about the quality, but it's for situations where someone doesn't have enough inputs on thier display for all of their HDMI sources. The OP said they needed something with multiple outputs to go to separate displays, so it wouldn't work.

When it comes to splitters, in my experience you run into more problems when outputting material with strict copy protection, like BD. Having used the semi-expensive (for what they do - around 200 dollars) and well regarded Gefens - which again was a few years ago - I'd be skeptical of the reliability of a 30 dollar splitter, especially for BD. If in the market, I'd buy from someplace with a good return policy in the event the item doesn't meet your functional or reliability expectations.

Last edited by MoulinBlu; 02-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

When running long HDMI runs, the quality of the cable, including how well it's insulated, becomes much more important, as well as how it's run: avoiding running it parallel with any electrical lines for more than a couple feet, if at all. Some of your better, small internet-based cable makers, like Better Cables, will advise you on what you need and can expect, if you send them an email.

That said, if you're not planning on playing games on the other TV, just using it for movies, it's much more cost efficient and convenient just to buy a cheap BD or DVD player for the other display.

Last edited by MoulinBlu; 02-06-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2007
PEI, Canada

I think monoprice has some hdmi splitters/amplifiers. I've never used anything like this before let alone the monoprice products, so I have no idea how well they work.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...=hdmi+splitter
http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/binarymellon

PSN: binarymellon
EA Origin Account: binarymelon
Steam Account: binarymelon
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Oct 2006

I'm currently running a 4x2 matrix splitter from monoprice I got back in 2007. 35 foot runs, and it works great.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3