Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Legend of Tarzan 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pokémon: The Movies 1-3 Collection: Pokémon: The First Movie / Pokémon: The Movie 2000 / Pokémon 3: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Legend of Tarzan (Blu-ray)
$24.95
The Flash: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Miracles from Heaven (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Suicide Squad (Blu-ray)
$24.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #2221
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
The Land Of The Scots

I'm currently watching it on a 5" B&W TV powered by a potato.
Normal is boring
Old 03-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #2222
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
I'm currently watching it on a 5" B&W TV powered by a potato.
Portal 2 reference?
Thanks given by:
The Fallen Deity (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #2223
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
The Land Of The Scots

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Portal 2 reference?
Maybe.
Normal is boring
Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #2224
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

This is $4.50 at Target today for those interested (The Final Cut).
Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60 - Denon AVR-X2200w - (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, (Rears) Infinity P163's
Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #2225

Jul 2012

Finally got around to watching The Final Cut on BD (after having watched Theatrical first time in the 80's on VHS, many times on TV, Director's Cut a few times on DVD and cable).

Wasn't noticing too much difference between the Director's Cut and Final Cut initially, but thought it was a bit more violent and had longer street sequences (never noticed the girls dancing in underwear in hockey goalie masks), and I was correct in noticing these aspects.
Unicorn sequence is a bit different and shows Deckard opening his eyes (suggesting he is dreaming) after we see longer shots of the unicorn.

FC to DC differences: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4589

The Final Cut thus works the best... the penny drops more effectively at the end of the film: How does Gaff (Olmos) know he dreams of unicorns? Rather than just thoughts/daydream of them, evident in the DC.
The line "Too bad she won't live, but then again who does" suggesting to Deckard that he won't live past four years, due to being a replicant (which is in both DC and FC) works a little bit more effective, with the extended Unicorn sequence and having Deckard's eyes opening.

I concur with the creator. The Final Cut is the definitive cut. Was the first time my wife ever watched Blade Runner (I envied her, to see it for the first time without narration) and she clicked at the end and got the "Deckard is a replicant" ending. Job well done.
Also, I noticed for the first time that the line from Olmos, when he first sees Deckard after the death of Batty "You did a mans job" (or something like that), also might has suggestive connotations.

While I found that the first and second acts do labour a bit, I think Blade Runner is a great film... And with the additional Unicorn sequence added since the DC in 1992, it has had that great twist. Although, I can see how the director would have wanted us to figure that out in the original cut (he has a lot of photos and is only now developing emotions). But due to the studio forcing a happy ending, as an epilogue, the film fails to deliver that notion.

I reiterate and whole heartedly agree with Ridley Scott: Blade Runner - The Final Cut is the definitive cut.
However, one critique, to my eyes, DNR was applied a touch too much to the restoration (Final Cut) vs. seeing slightly more fine detail in the 3x Theatrical Cut transfers. I popped the Theatrical disc in right after viewing the Final Cut to show my wife the narration. I found it looked like there was slightly more fine detail and the transfer was a bit more grainy. But, the Final Cut had a perfect PQ but there was damage and debris evident on the print used in the transfer (tiny white specks throughout, not seen on Final Cut).

With a 4K scan/restoration done for The Final Cut, I would love to see a UHD BD of Blade Runner, if Warner Bros. joins Lionsgate, Sony and Fox in releasing 4K UHD BD. Blade Runner is one of only a few films I would quadruple dip for (VHS> DVD> BD> UHD BD).
Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Down with streaming!

...And he shall smite thee digital downloads with a curse: poor bandwidth and lossy audio.
Thanks given by:
sjconstable (05-09-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #2226

Jun 2014
UT

The Final Cut's DNR more has to do with the low arse bitrate encode than excessive DNR.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #2227
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-
-

I prefer the Director's Cut, as certain scenes are longer. Blade Runner is such a visually beautiful and atmospheric film, that even a few extra seconds adds so much to the film.

Scenes like the noodle bar, Deckard at the piano, and many more are longer and I love it. The Final Cut lives up to its name as it cuts scenes I love down.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #2228

Jun 2011
Sunny Central Florida

I still don't like the color palette alteration of the Final Cut. The Theatrical or International is my preference.
Thanks given by:
Lyle_JP (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #2229
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Initially, I preferred the color of The Final Cut, but started leaning towards the original and on my last viewing I preferred the overall look in general. I also think the compression is a bit better on the original versions.

I would love to see Warner go back and re-scan both versions along with higher bit AVC encoding and I think we see a nice improvement. Scanning and compressioning has obviously improved since the discs were made. Blade Runner is obviously a big catalog seller for Warner given the numerous re-releases, so I am sure they will need to re-scan is for HDR UHD. I just hope they don't leave out the original versions.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 05-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #2230
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Thanks given by:
chip75 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #2231
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
I still don't like the color palette alteration of the Final Cut. The Theatrical or International is my preference.
Yeah, the Teal ruins the beautiful colors that were in the original film. Like golden look of the scene in Tyrell's office with Rachael, or the scene where Deckard is sitting in front of the neon at the beginning. I feel like the colors are a bit washed out and everything pushes towards green in the Final Cut.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (05-23-2016), Lyle_JP (05-09-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #2232

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egons Ghost View Post
Yep, my 5-disc set had the same problem, bought secondhand a couple of years ago. I searched around and found a Warner Bros. number to call, and they replaced the disc for free. Hopefully this store will swap out the Final Cut single disc edition for you.
it seems the 5 disc are back on amazon, I remember around 3 months ago that is OOP... so this new have the same problem?
I want buy the 5 Disc version, I prefer over other, is small and have a all the stuff, the only problem is the new price is too high, around $50!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #2233
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

The 4-disc version is better than the 5-disc. It combines the two DVDs of extras onto a single Blu-ray and even adds more extras and a better encode of the workprint.
"My boys are 8, 10 and 12 and never saw the SE editons or the PT until I had ingrained in them the UOT over and over again and again. They do not like the PT nor the SE editions at all to this day." -LAdodgers
Thanks given by:
Arawn (05-23-2016), warrian (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #2234
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
The 4-disc version is better than the 5-disc. It combines the two DVDs of extras onto a single Blu-ray and even adds more extras and a better encode of the workprint.
But....I read ages ago that because those DVD extras are squashed onto the disc, they dont look quite as good as the original set as they are more compressed. It does have a better workprint encode and lossless sound however. So its best to have both
Would you like some coffee, Mr. Tully?
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-24-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #2235
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Watched The Final Cut last night. It has been 2 years since I last watched Blade Runner, and it still looks stunning! Yes, the compression could be better, but to be honest, in motion it isn't that bad. The presentation both PQ and AQ, still blows me away.
"It's too bad she won't live.. But then again who does."
"Time is of no importance, only life is important."
"You cannot love a dream."
"It's not possible. No, it's necessary."
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (08-02-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:26 AM   #2236
Expert Member

Aug 2012
charleston sc

Is there a difference in PQ between these versions I've never seen it but have heard its stunning I just want to get the best PQ and also is the movie pretty good?
Sony KDL65w850a
Yamaha Rx-v373
Xbox One
POLKAUDIO
Monitor 60 Front Monitor 30 Rear
BIC-pl200
CS20 Center
Monster HDP-1800
Old 06-28-2016, 12:30 AM   #2237
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungheat View Post
Is there a difference in PQ between these versions I've never seen it but have heard its stunning I just want to get the best PQ and also is the movie pretty good?
That is the question, isn't it? Seriously, though, I think it's a masterpiece; a flawed masterpiece, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

Picture/sound quality for the Final Cut and the three Archival Versions is the same across all releases (they're all repackagings of the same discs). The Workprint got a new encode and a lossless soundtrack for the 2012 release, so it looks and sounds better than the 2007 release.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:33 AM   #2238
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungheat View Post
I'm of the opinion that the archival (US, International, Director's Cut) versions look the best, though some may disagree. They look more organic. The Final Cut received the most extensive restoration, but the colour timing is different and it looks a little filtered.

Oh, and the film itself is cinematic perfection.
Cause you know but you don't wanna
Cause you want but you can't have it.

My Blade Runner shrine
Old 07-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #2239

Feb 2012

Watched the original theatrical domestic version for the first time last night. The picture quality on this cut was a little underwhelming IMO, and of course the narration was awkward, but I did always want to see that original version and for the most part feel it still showcases the film's strengths and hypnotic quality.

From what I gather the international cut is literally just a few extra moments of violence which are in other cuts anyway, so probably just have the workprint version left to watch. Did see the beginning of the commentary, and seems like it is one of the more unique cuts, and also interestingly noticed right away it has a different 2.2 aspect ratio (anyone know why that is, my best guess is the transfer is sourced from a 70mm print)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #2240
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
Watched the original theatrical domestic version for the first time last night. The picture quality on this cut was a little underwhelming IMO, and of course the narration was awkward, but I did always want to see that original version and for the most part feel it still showcases the film's strengths and hypnotic quality.

From what I gather the international cut is literally just a few extra moments of violence which are in other cuts anyway, so probably just have the workprint version left to watch. Did see the beginning of the commentary, and seems like it is one of the more unique cuts, and also interestingly noticed right away it has a different 2.2 aspect ratio (anyone know why that is, my best guess is the transfer is sourced from a 70mm print)
That's correct. From what I understand, it was sourced from the 70mm print that was accidentally sent to the Fairfax Theater in 1990, or at least a copy of it.
Thanks given by:
kidglov3s (08-02-2016), xbs2034 (07-23-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America