Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #1

Jan 2013
New Mexico
Default Forbidden Planet in Simulated 3D

HI All,
Do you know Forbidden Planet? You should. It's the classic masterpiece from the mid-1950's that many consider the best Sci Fi film ever. I don't think I will go quite that far but it is terrific if a little dated and quaint.

I'll not review it here because this forum is devoted to Blu-Ray and 3D. The film has been re-released on Blu-Ray but my copy is a DVD. If you want read reviews check it out on Amazon. Be warned, you will be overwhelmed by a bunch of Sci Fi freaks who are huge fans of the movie.

What I want to do is tell you how good the film looks with simulated 3D on my Panasonic TV. It's as though the film was made for this. It's very nearly as good as a real 3D disk.

Since it seems I'm the only one here writing about simulated 3D and because of all the negative responses I have received, I thought I would give you a case where simulated 3D works really well. This is good because Forbidden Planet is not out in 3D and may never be. But it deserves to be in every bodies film library especially if you like Sci Fi.

An interesting oddity is the musical sound track which is totally electronic, the very first one. Understand that synthesizers did not exist in 1955 when the film was made. So how did they do it? They could have used used a strange and odd electronic instrument invented in the 1930's called a Theremin. But they didn't because the world has produced only one person who mastered the instrument. Instead, they used frequency generators and many original sound modifiers. And what a job they did. It's a great and highly original sound track, again a classic.

Sparky

Last edited by Karma16; 01-25-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma16 View Post
HI All,
Do you know Forbidden Planet? You should. It's the classic masterpiece from the mid-1950's that many consider the best Sci Fi film ever. I don't think I will go quite that far but it is terrific if a little dated and quaint.

I'll not review it here because this forum is devoted to Blu-Ray and 3D. The film has been re-released on Blu-Ray but my copy is a DVD. If you want read reviews check it out on Amazon. Be warned, you will be overwhelmed by a bunch of Sci Fi freaks who are huge fans of the movie.

What I want to do is tell you how good the film looks with simulated 3D on my Panasonic TV. It's as though the film was made for this. It's very nearly as good as a real 3D disk.

Since it seems I'm the only one here writing about simulated 3D and because of all the negative responses I have received, I thought I would give you a case where simulated 3D works really well. This is good because Forbidden Planet is not out in 3D and may never be. But it deserves to be in every bodies film library especially if you like Sci Fi.

An interesting oddity is the musical sound track which is totally electronic, the very first one. Understand that synthesizers did not exist in 1955 when the film was made. So how did they do it? They could have used used a strange and odd electronic instrument invented in the 1930's called a Theremin. But they didn't because the world has produced only one person who mastered the instrument. Instead, they used frequency generators and many original sound modifiers. And what a job they did. It's a great and highly original sound track, again a classic.

Sparky
It's probably the amazing colours, and lack of fast paced action that does it. I enjoyed The Simpsons Movie simulated on my Sammy (now broken), but only when there was little movement.

Maybe this means Wizard of Oz would look alright too, though if you're a fan I believe the 3D disk is still coming out, and it's probably best to wait. But it could also mean that The Little Mermaid would look okay, and those that don't want to double dip on Avatar may also have a good experience (though the 3D is SO strong in this one, I really recommend buying it).

Now I wanna watch Flash Gordon simulated on my computer. Lol. There's so much red and green in that one I should give it a go on my big screen with anaglyph glasses!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma16 View Post
HI All,

Sparky
Thanks for sharing this. I may have to try the same thing with my copy of Forbidden Planet.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

general thread?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickUK View Post
general thread?
It's 3D related. There's too many haters everywhere else. If you have something interesting to say about 3D, and want to discuss is with people who are interested in what you're saying, I think this is the place to be.

That's my opinion anyway. I haven't seen a moderator all morning...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #6

Dec 2010

I dunno, I just popped in the disc and tried it. While a few scenes do gain additional depth, all in all I still found it pretty much 2D. But then again maybe some displays do better jobs converting to 3D than others.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies