Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (Blu-ray)
$19.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Cat's Eye (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fairy Tail: Part Twenty Two (Blu-ray)
$42.99
Count Dracula's Great Love (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.43
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #1621

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
David M always uses x264 and he did both apparently which is why it's a little strange.
David Mackenzie did not encode either of the Arrow Blu-rays of TENEBRAE.

Chris
Thanks given by:
2-perf (07-23-2016), AlexIlDottore (07-24-2016), nitin (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:12 AM   #1622
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Thanks for that, I thought it was a little strange if he had and there were differences.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 AM   #1623

Feb 2016
Montreal

Quote:
Thanks for that, I thought it was a little strange if he had and there were differences.
I can't speak for David Mackenzie but I'll encode something more efficiently in 6 months than I encoded it today, literally. You know about encoding?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #1624
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-perf View Post
I can't speak for David Mackenzie but I'll encode something more efficiently in 6 months than I encoded it today, literally. You know about encoding?
No I don't but people were saying the opposite of that, ie that the Arrow re-release was better encoded than the more recent Syanpse one.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #1625

Feb 2016
Montreal

Quote:
No I don't but people were saying the opposite of that, ie that the Arrow re-release was better encoded than the more recent Syanpse one.
This is totally possible. I don't own the Arrow release so I can't tell and judging still frames regarding encoding on caps-a-holic doesn't help. One thing for sure, there's more detail on the Arrow release and I really don't think Arrow used any sharpening at all. The softness in the Synapse Films release might be due to poor encoding. Have a look outside the house, right next to the disco ball, on the right.

caps-a-holic image comparison.

Last edited by 2-perf; 07-27-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: ytpos
Old 08-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #1626

Oct 2014
RVA

Is the Synapse release worth a double dip? I've got the Arrow and I'm happy with the quality, although if Synapse is better I'd be happy to have it in better shape. It doesn't appear to have much overlap in extras. The Arrow commentaries are not on the Synapse disc, and vice versa. Right? I'm interested in the feature length gialli documentary on the Synapse release.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #1627
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
USA

Synapse fixed most of the (DNR) errors the Wild East/Remastered Arrow release had.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #1628
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
Is the Synapse release worth a double dip? I've got the Arrow and I'm happy with the quality, although if Synapse is better I'd be happy to have it in better shape. It doesn't appear to have much overlap in extras. The Arrow commentaries are not on the Synapse disc, and vice versa. Right? I'm interested in the feature length gialli documentary on the Synapse release.
It's worth it when the cheap one comes out IMO. I bought the steelbook and don't regret my purchase, but the picture quality is definitely not different enough to be worth 40ish bucks, even when you take that other extra into account, unless you're a real die-hard or really like the steelbook packaging.
Thanks given by:
callahan09 (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #1629
Special Member

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
It's worth it when the cheap one comes out IMO. I bought the steelbook and don't regret my purchase, but the picture quality is definitely not different enough to be worth 40ish bucks, even when you take that other extra into account, unless you're a real die-hard or really like the steelbook packaging.
I pretty much agree with everything here. The Arrow looks great, but ever since it was pointed out to me, that envelope error bugged me, so as a die hard fan, I had to get the Synapse release. Oh, and the steelbook also comes with the soundtrack CD, which is a nice little extra.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #1630

May 2010

Looks like PHENOMENA is close to getting announced (from Don MayJr's Instagram):
Quote:
donmayjr "Two discs (of the 3) are done. Steelbooks have been shipped to warehouse. Still finalizing the last disc, but we're VERY close to an announcement. Maybe 2-3 weeks from details."

mike_toscano "@donmayjr any chance it might be in time for Halloween? Ofcourse I love love your edition of Tenebre, Curtains, Prom Night, & Intruder"

donmayjr "I would love to have it out by Halloween. If not, it'll be very soon after."
Thanks given by:
ckt (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #1631

Nov 2014
New York

Hoping HDN do another slipcase edition
Old 09-02-2016, 12:01 AM   #1632
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
Looks like PHENOMENA is close to getting announced (from Don MayJr's Instagram):

September/October is already stacked with releases (many of us have already pre-ordered these as well since we actually knew when they were coming). I suggest we bump the Phenomena release to November/December so there's less competition.
Wanted To Buy:
-Blood on Satan's Claw (UK) Blu Ray - $17 Shipped

Recommend a Modern, Independent Horror Film Thread
My 2016 Watched Movies Thread
My 2016 Purchases Thread
Old 09-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #1633
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Ohio

Once phenomena is announced it moves to the top of my preorder list. The last thing this release needs is an extra month or two because the release calendar is crowded.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #1634
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

I might have to wait till December to order a copy if this is close to coming out. October in particular is ultra packed for me in terms of releases.

I'm sure they'll still have copies in stock by then.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #1635

May 2016

with the exception of blood diner and manhattan baby, if I have to make choices, this is a must. neon demon, chopping mall, aren't going anywhere.

this does seem to be where people start to question argento. while not a classic, I still find it to be highly enjoyable.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #1636
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
USA

DVDBeaver comparison!:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...re_blu-ray.htm
Old 09-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #1637
Power Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
I honestly don't see a massive difference on DVDBeaver but I just checked Caps-a-Holic and their comparisons do show different color and grain in the Synapse release.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...2&l=0&i=0&go=1

Since I already have the Arrow steelbook, the slight picture quality jump isn't necessarily enough to make me upgrade. However, I am very interested in the giallo documentary. Can anyone that has seen it comment?
"Red, white, BLU is in the sky..."

Last edited by PrestonXI; 09-04-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #1638
Power Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Here is a good one to show the color difference...

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...&l=0&i=14&go=1

The color change in this one scene may actually make me want to upgrade.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #1639
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
Since I already have the Arrow steelbook, the slight picture quality jump isn't necessarily enough to make me upgrade. However, I am very interested in the giallo documentary. Can anyone that has seen it comment?
Basically, the first 40 minutes are a rush through the early history, and then a bunch of people mentioning random flicks for about 30 seconds each (you get usually very brief discussions of Girl Who Knew Too Much, Blood & Black Lace, Tenebrae, Bay of Blood, Lizard in a Womanís Skin, Donít Torture a Duckling, All the Colors of the Dark, Eyeball, What Have You Done to Solange?, Who Saw Her Die?, Watch Me When I Kill, Weapon the Hour and the Motive, Short Night of the Glass Dolls, Strip Nude for your Killer, and New York Ripper in addition to all the Argento flicks).

However, the last hour and even some of that first 40 minutes are basically an Argento circle-jerk. Not only did they interview useful people like Alan Jones and Argento himself that love all Argento films, but they even went so far as to get, like, the co-writer of Mother of Tears. It's balanced slightly by the hilarious Umberto Lenzi, who says basically "my films were better, I did them first, Argento's a cool dude but all his scripts are FULL OF HOLES!!!"

IIRC, the ONLY actor interviewed at any point is Barbara Bouchet, who gets a few talking head appearances. She's got such excellent English that I assume she's lived here for decades, which was a surprise. But yeah, through all the mentions of other films, you might get a tiny blip of a trailer (usually obnoxiously on a quad screen with four trailers playing at once so you can't see anything) or a still or two. IIRC, only "Don't Torture a Duckling" and the Bava films really got more than a minute or two. Tenebrae, on the other hand, gets about 15 minutes with tons of clips, likewise with Phenomena. There's even extensive discussion of the frickin Card Player. Some of the talking heads are interesting, like I'm glad they got a couple serious women critics to talk about any misogyny inherent in the genre (they both love it and staunchly defend Argento, but say things like Solange or Strip Nude for your Killer are rather indefensible).

Basically, it's a glorified version of the "slasher history" on the My Bloody Valentine disc, where it gives a rush through of some 80s slashers and then reveals itself to just be a promo for the remake!! Just with Argento.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #1640
Power Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
Basically, the first 40 minutes are a rush through the early history, and then a bunch of people mentioning random flicks for about 30 seconds each (you get usually very brief discussions of Girl Who Knew Too Much, Blood & Black Lace, Tenebrae, Bay of Blood, Lizard in a Womanís Skin, Donít Torture a Duckling, All the Colors of the Dark, Eyeball, What Have You Done to Solange?, Who Saw Her Die?, Watch Me When I Kill, Weapon the Hour and the Motive, Short Night of the Glass Dolls, Strip Nude for your Killer, and New York Ripper in addition to all the Argento flicks).

However, the last hour and even some of that first 40 minutes are basically an Argento circle-jerk. Not only did they interview useful people like Alan Jones and Argento himself that love all Argento films, but they even went so far as to get, like, the co-writer of Mother of Tears. It's balanced slightly by the hilarious Umberto Lenzi, who says basically "my films were better, I did them first, Argento's a cool dude but all his scripts are FULL OF HOLES!!!"

IIRC, the ONLY actor interviewed at any point is Barbara Bouchet, who gets a few talking head appearances. She's got such excellent English that I assume she's lived here for decades, which was a surprise. But yeah, through all the mentions of other films, you might get a tiny blip of a trailer (usually obnoxiously on a quad screen with four trailers playing at once so you can't see anything) or a still or two. IIRC, only "Don't Torture a Duckling" and the Bava films really got more than a minute or two. Tenebrae, on the other hand, gets about 15 minutes with tons of clips, likewise with Phenomena. There's even extensive discussion of the frickin Card Player. Some of the talking heads are interesting, like I'm glad they got a couple serious women critics to talk about any misogyny inherent in the genre (they both love it and staunchly defend Argento, but say things like Solange or Strip Nude for your Killer are rather indefensible).

Basically, it's a glorified version of the "slasher history" on the My Bloody Valentine disc, where it gives a rush through of some 80s slashers and then reveals itself to just be a promo for the remake!! Just with Argento.
Disappointing.

If I decide to upgrade, I guess I will wait until I can get the single disc for around $12.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America