COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Like Water for Chocolate (Blu-ray)
$9.29
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #61
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

i haven't used it a lot. don't actually have the basement setup so it was just connected for testing. i have taken it out and done an update about a month ago, tested it with speakers afterwards and it worked fine like it did before.

it will probably be a while before we get the basement setup like we want it.

sorry about not responding; i haven't checked this thread in a while. i can't and won't speak about cutting any corners. i have not had the benifit of seeing the receiver that you have. i can only say, i'm very happy with the one i have and that's enough for me.

i will probably add an emotiva XDA-1 to the mix and a squeezebox touch as well. this is the only way to get 192/24 to these things as none of them support rez that high through either ethernet or digital inputs.

since the squeezebox touch does support (via an app) 192/24 out via digital coax, USB or optical that goes to the DAC and out via analog into the 8050. this works and sounds incredibly good on the main HT. i plan on replacing the XDA-1 i'm using up there with an XDA-2 and move the current 1 down to the basement for that setup.

so, like i said, the last time i used it was about a month ago, it sounded just like it did the last time i had it connected.

how are things going with your receiver? did you ever get the speakers you wanted? i remember you had a thread looking for "not so tall" towers; did you make any progress with your search?
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #62
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
i haven't used it a lot. don't actually have the basement setup so it was just connected for testing. i have taken it out and done an update about a month ago, tested it with speakers afterwards and it worked fine like it did before.

it will probably be a while before we get the basement setup like we want it.

sorry about not responding; i haven't checked this thread in a while.
No worries; I just wanted to see your receiver in action in a two channel setup!

Quote:
i can't and won't speak about cutting any corners. i have not had the benifit of seeing the receiver that you have. i can only say, i'm very happy with the one i have and that's enough for me.
Well, that's no problem -- I just wanted to comment on what I saw when I actually went on top of the receiver (the 8050) and touched the controls, comparing them to the ones on my 8555...to me, it was like night and day...the controls on the receiver I have feel so much more stable, of quality and stronger than the ones on the 8050, especially the plastic-like volume knob on the 8050 as compared to the overtly heavy, smooth, aluminum knob on the 8555 which makes it feel like a much more expensive piece of gear...I was just a little disappointed about that on the new model (8050).

Here's what my 8555 looks like, for a reference:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Dv6o8Ep...55.html?tp=179

Quote:
how are things going with your receiver? did you ever get the speakers you wanted? i remember you had a thread looking for "not so tall" towers; did you make any progress with your search?
Have you glanced at my signature lately?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #63

Oct 2012

I have a quick question, hope anyone can enlighten me on this point.

Is it possible to directly stream audio files from a NAS to the TX 8050? So I mean stream them without using DLNA or anything, just stream the files from the filesystem and let the TX 8050 decode them. If so, would this allow gapless playback of files from the NAS?

Another question I have is whether or not the TX 8050 supports gapless playback when playing FLAC (or anything else for that matter) from a USB drive?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoritty View Post
I have a quick question, hope anyone can enlighten me on this point.

Is it possible to directly stream audio files from a NAS to the TX 8050? So I mean stream them without using DLNA or anything, just stream the files from the filesystem and let the TX 8050 decode them. If so, would this allow gapless playback of files from the NAS?

Another question I have is whether or not the TX 8050 supports gapless playback when playing FLAC (or anything else for that matter) from a USB drive?

Thanks for your help!
gapless playback is not a feature supported by the 8050. as far as the streaming question goes, but yes, i can connect a usb drive to the 8050 and playback audio just fine including FLAC. the unit spec's tell you what codecs it supports.

i know some of folks are concerned about gapless playback and for most of them it's a deal breaker. not for me though. best of luck with whatever you end up with or doing.

keep us posted.
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #65

Mar 2013
Smile

Here's a copy of a PM I sent the OP. Please rest assured that I will read through the thread in the hopes of answering my own question.

Just a passing comment. I like how solarrdadd opened the thread with a plea that there be no bashing or personal attacks. I cannot tell you how many forums where I have experienced users just having at each other. Life is just too short for that behavior.

Quote:
I really could use the advice of someone who knows this Onkyo unit well. My present setup is a real menagerie:

1) 2 Polk Audio TSi500 TSi 500 Tower Speakers
2) 2 Sony bookshelf speakers
3) 300 watt Klipsch subwoofer

Problem: I hear the Polks are real "Watt Hogs" (my funny for the day, sorry). I plan to dedicate the TX-8050 to the Polks and the Klipsch subwoofer (no amp required)

-and-

Wanted your recommendation for a second amp that would play well with the Onkyo.

Sorry to be such a PITA. I've been told that it's too late for me to change, that my being a real PITA is a genetic thing.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #66

Jun 2011
Everett, WA

So first off, I don't have a TX-8050. I have had a few recievers and power amps. I don't own anything in the Polk monitor series. But....

Depending on your room size and typical listening levels the answer can very. I use a seperates scenario becuase I like loud music. But I could probably get away with an intergrated amp for about 75-80% of my music listening.

You mentioned having four speakers in your pm. Are the sony's getting hooked up as well? This is for music listening, yes?

What are you currently using to power your speakers?

The TSi500 specs
Power Range
20-275
Frequency Response
38-24k Hz
Sensitivity
91 dB
Impedance (Ohms)
You could probably use a ton of different amps to power speakers like that. If the specs are accurate then you have easy to drive speakers. Might just try using the amp in the 8050 and if you have any issues upgrade from there.

Anyways, just my two cents. Good luck!
TV/Bluray Player Panasonic TC-P55ST30, PS3 Slim 120 Gb
Receiver/Power Marantz SR5004, Yamaha M-45
SpeakersDali Ikon 1 front R & L, AV123 ELT Rocket center x2, Klipsch Synergy Quintets
Sub Klipsch RT 10D, RW 12D
HiFi Setup
Speakers: AV123 Rocket RS 760, Preamp: Marantz SR4023, Amp: Yamaha MX 800, Turntable: Project Debut III, Player: Elite DV-47Ai, Digital files: Vista machine using iTunes
Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #67

Mar 2013
Smile Onkyo TX-8050 - 4, 6 but no 8 ohm setting?

OK, I've skimmed the manual for my newly acquired TX-8050 and have been through the setup menu.

All my speakers are 8 ohm. On the Onkyo I only have a choice of 4 or 6 ohm.

What am I missing? How can I tell the Onkyo I have 8 ohm speakers?

+++++++
Also, for those of you playing the home game (watching me stroll through the minefield of life), I purchased the AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier to give me more control over my front Sony bookshelf speakers.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #68
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by incurablegeek View Post
OK, I've skimmed the manual for my newly acquired TX-8050 and have been through the setup menu.

All my speakers are 8 ohm. On the Onkyo I only have a choice of 4 or 6 ohm.

What am I missing? How can I tell the Onkyo I have 8 ohm speakers?

+++++++
Also, for those of you playing the home game (watching me stroll through the minefield of life), I purchased the AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier to give me more control over my front Sony bookshelf speakers.
calm down man. 6 ohms, it means 6 ohms and above.
NY GIANTS!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #69

Mar 2013
Wink

Quote:
calm down man. 6 ohms, it means 6 ohms and above.
Are saying that I'm a little bit too OCD? Or that in person I bear a striking resemblance to my avatar?

Heaven forbid! I am deeply hurt. Quite insulted actually.

Fact is, all of the above is true. Thank you so much for putting my mind to rest.

Ah, but one more thing to discuss with my therapist. "You see, Doc, I have this deep-seated fear of failure coupled with a need to be perfect ...."
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #70

Feb 2011

Hi - I am considering this receiver. How does it handle streams that require login? For example, I have a paid account on Jazzradio.com. When I'm logged in, the commercials are excluded. Does this receiver (even through the PC interface) support credentials?

thanks!
/j
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers