Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Black Christmas (Blu-ray)
£7.99
Buñuel: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
£50.00
Melville: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
£50.00
Doctor Who: The Complete Series 10 (Blu-ray)
£47.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Series 10 (Blu-ray)
£39.99
Family Values: Three Films by Hirokazu Kore-eda (Blu-ray)
£32.99
Doctor Who: Shada (Blu-ray)
£29.99
Stalker (Blu-ray)
£12.99
The Thing (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Black Sails: The Complete Collection Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
£37.37
Berlin Alexanderplatz (Blu-ray)
£54.99
The Éric Rohmer Collection (Blu-ray)
£89.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
United Kingdom Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders)

Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire (1987) has received a preliminary release date for the UK market: February 22. Winner of the Best Director Award at the Cannes Film Festival in 1987.

Wings of Desire Blu-ray

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-12-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #2

Jul 2009
Oxfordshire

I really hope the region B release lives up to the screenshots I've seen from the Criterion BD. I remember watching the film on my old tube and absolutely loving the beautiful cinematography, but I've never been able to watch it upscaled on my nice new HD TV because of all the distracting artefacts. I'd love to see it as intended.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #3

Oct 2008
UK

Mine arrived today, it's a region free disc and looks very similar to the Criterion disc DVDBeaver reviewed, although the picture is slightly less bright.

Criterion: http://www.imagebam.com/image/16e6f569311582
Axiom: http://www.imagebam.com/image/41d74769311584

Criterion: http://www.imagebam.com/image/13b79f69312347
Axiom: http://www.imagebam.com/image/e86b5669312348

Criterion: http://www.imagebam.com/image/4aa42c69312905
Axiom: http://www.imagebam.com/image/2816f769312910

Criterion: http://www.imagebam.com/image/e4bae769313729
Axiom: http://www.imagebam.com/image/31dc8569313731

The audio/video bitrate is much high than the Criterion disc, probably because there are fewer extras.

Last edited by Matt865; 02-23-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I'm confused, does this have a different commentary track to the Criterion version?

Also, is the "outtakes and deleted scenes" section exactly the same on both releases, or is it different?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
I'm confused, does this have a different commentary track to the Criterion version?
The commentary is indeed different.

Pro-B
Old 03-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
The commentary is indeed different.

Pro-B
Thanks, in that case I will hang on to my Anchor Bay DVD.

Based on your description of the Criterion "outtakes and deleted scenes" extra it seems that that is different from the one on the Anchor Bay DVD, as on the Anchor Bay DVD Wenders talks constantly throughout. Perhaps the Axiom BD has the same one as the Anchor Bay DVD (just like it shares the Anchor Bay commentary)?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

The Anchor Bay UK / MGM US / and Axiom UK seem to have the same Wim Wenders/Peter Falk commentary.

The Criterion one is culled from the same sessions, but the original producer of the commentary went back and re-edited some things into the new commentary. I can't exactly say what is different, but they do overlap.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Disappointed to see that on the Axiom BD the Deleted Scenes with Commentary and the German Trailer were in "windowboxed widescreen".

On the old Anchor Bay DVD they were anamorphic and on the Criterion BD they are anamorphic.

BTW the review on this site is a bit confusing when comparing the Criterion to the Axiom - BOTH disks have the deleted scenes with commentary that was on the Anchor Bay DVD, but the Criterion BD also has "outtakes" which were not on the Anchor Bay disk and which are not on the Axiom BD.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Not a big fan of this film. The first time I saw it was only about 5 years ago but I just couldn't get into it. On the other hand, I'm really hoping that another Wim Wenders film - PARIS, TEXAS - gets a UK release sometime soon...I love that film. The US release is region-locked
My Blu-ray wish list: Roman Holiday, Before Sunrise/Sunset, Punch-drunk love, The Straight story, Wallace & Gromit: The curse of the were-rabbit, The Abyss, The Man who wasn't there, Gods and Monsters, Judgement at Nuremberg
Old 10-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Not a big fan of this film. The first time I saw it was only about 5 years ago but I just couldn't get into it. On the other hand, I'm really hoping that another Wim Wenders film - PARIS, TEXAS - gets a UK release sometime soon...I love that film. The US release is region-locked
Why don't you take a look at the French release. I have to check, but I am fairly certain the initial info was that the French subtitles are not imposed.

Pro-B
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Why don't you take a look at the French release. I have to check, but I am fairly certain the initial info was that the French subtitles are not imposed.

Pro-B
Wow thanks for the info Will have to try and find out if the french release has forced subs or not. Does anyone else know?
My Blu-ray wish list: Roman Holiday, Before Sunrise/Sunset, Punch-drunk love, The Straight story, Wallace & Gromit: The curse of the were-rabbit, The Abyss, The Man who wasn't there, Gods and Monsters, Judgement at Nuremberg
Old 10-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Go multiregion and give your money to Criterion.

Their release is wonderful http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Paris-...y/7732/#Review

Get the best for your money.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Disappointed that Axiom decided to only subtitle when English is not spoken. There's not much english in this film but e.g. late Peter Falk mumbling something is not very easy to follow without subtitles. Little thing but makes a huge difference.
Looking for:
La Piscine 1969 (Park Circus; Blu-ray)
En röst i mörkret 1968 (Fin de Siecle Media; DVD)
Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Royal Wootton Bassett, UK

OK people, so what's the final verdict on Axion vs Criterion release for Wings of Desire? I do not have it yet in any form but consider it as one of those 'special' films to own. That being the case, I do not mind spending on the Criterion disc but the Axiom is now around third the price of the former.

Any advice on what I should do?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #15

Oct 2010
The North, England

I have the Axiom release and I'm happy with it especially for £6. The Criterion is the better package but not hugely so and to me not worth an extra tenner.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Wow thanks for the info Will have to try and find out if the french release has forced subs or not. Does anyone else know?
There's also a DE release >>>

Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintermann View Post
OK people, so what's the final verdict on Axion vs Criterion release for Wings of Desire? I do not have it yet in any form but consider it as one of those 'special' films to own. That being the case, I do not mind spending on the Criterion disc but the Axiom is now around third the price of the former.

Get whichever's most convenient and cheap I guess? Unless you are obsessed with Criterion releases like many people are I'd recommend the Axiom version.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintermann View Post

I have the UK release and it looks and sounds great plus it has a nice booklet too and the case is thinner. Also its very cheap as compare to the Criterion BD. Both look like the same in quality but Criterion has more Extras so if you can compromise on a little more extras then Axiom is great and of course very cheap. I am more than happy to have the Axiom release.
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Giuseppe Sulfaro near the end credits - (Malèna)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #19

Jul 2015
Lincolnshire

Is the Axiom release oop now? Was wondering what my chances are of finding this in the HMV 5 for £30 instore.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #20
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouryella View Post
Is the Axiom release oop now? Was wondering what my chances are of finding this in the HMV 5 for £30 instore.
Just grab it from base.com for 7.19 pounds.
https://www.base.com/buy/product/win...dgc-axm608.htm

Doesn't look OOP to me btw.

Last edited by jimidini; 07-17-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
gouryella (07-17-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland