Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
€18.90
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
€10.99
Ballerina (Blu-ray)
€8.99
Broadchurch: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
€10.99
The Boss Baby (Blu-ray)
€11.99
Ida (Blu-ray)
€6.99
Compulsion (Blu-ray)
€5.99
Beauty and the Beast (Blu-ray)
€14.99
Underworld: Blood Wars (Blu-ray)
€9.99
Michaël Gregorio: J'ai dix ans (Blu-ray)
€17.49
The Magnificent Seven (Blu-ray)
€8.57
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
€20.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
France That Obscure Object of Desire (Luis Buñuel)

Upcoming from Studio Canal in France: Luis Buñuel's Cet obscur objet du désir a.k.a That Obscure Object of Desire (1997). Will update with the exact release date at a later time.

Roger Ebert:
Quote:
The man is middle-aged, impeccably dressed, perfectly groomed, obviously respectable. He has just barely caught his train. A young woman comes running down the station platform, also trying to catch the train. The man’s face reflects intense annoyance; he whispers something to the conductor, gives him a tip and is allowed into the train's restroom. He emerges with a pail of water, which, as the young lady tries to climb aboard, he pours on her head.

Ah, satisfaction… he settles down in his seat, only to discover intense curiosity among his fellow travelers. One of them, a psychologist who is a dwarf, finally speaks: “I could not help seeing what you did. I can tell from your appearance that you are a gentleman. Therefore, you must have had an excellent reason.”

Yes, the gentleman replies pleasantly, I had a most excellent reason. Seeming almost flattered by their curiosity, he tells them a story. And so, on a note both calm and sly, begins Luis Bunuel’s “That Obscure Object of Desire.”

Bunuel’s characters have been doing battle with erotic desire for more than 40 years now. They tend to be vain and fastidious people, middle-class, concerned with maintaining their self-respect. Yet they have a way of coming off second-best to lust, jealousy and an assortment of peculiar sexual obsessions. And Bunuel, who has just turned 77 years old, seems to learn more about their weaknesses with every year, and to find their passions increasingly funny.

Take, for example, his hero this time, the completely respectable Mathieu (Fernando Rey). He is a widower with no interest in most women; unless he feels true passion, he says, he would just as soon leave them alone. One day a new maid comes to serve him his dinner. She is Conchita: cool, elegant, gently mocking. He is lost. He is hopelessly in love, but his advances serve only to drive Conchita further away.

He tries what he thinks is a civilized approach, arranging with her mother to provide for the family’s financial needs in return for, ahem… but Conchita protests: “I wanted to give myself to you, but you tried to buy me!” He would by now, indeed, give her anything he has, but she disappears. Then he discovers her again, by accident, in Switzerland. Their life becomes a strange, erotic game of cat-and-mouse, in which the virginal Conchita torments him with her closeness, infuriates him by her inaccessibility. At last Mathieu is ready to settle for anything -- even sleeping with her without touching her. He is totally enthralled.

Bunuel relishes themes of erotic frustration. His most memorable heroines are those who deny themselves, and we remember the niece sleeping in her hairshirt in “Viridiana,” and Catherine Deneuve's masochistic pastimes in “Belle de Jour” and “Tristana.” This time, though, Bunuel seems to be reaching deeper, to be saying something more. Conchita is not simply denying herself to the man who loves her: she is teaching him a lesson about his own complex nature, about his need for a woman who would be always unattainable.

And Bunuel, of course, is exercising his own dry and totally original wit. His film is filled with small, droll touches, with tiny peculiarities of behavior, with moral anarchy, with a cynicism about human nature that somehow seems, in his hands, almost cheerful. His most obvious touch is perhaps his best: to dramatize Conchita’s tantalizing elusiveness, he has cast two actresses to play her. So that just when poor Mathieu has all but seduced this Conchita, the other emerges from the dressing room. Pour a pail of water on her head? Yes, we imagine Bunuel nodding wisely, a man could easily be driven to such an extreme.
Pro-B

Last edited by Deciazulado; 12-11-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

I hope it's also from Studio Canal Collection.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Hello Rezpekt,

It appears that these classic titles will be part of the Collection, indeed.

Pro-B
Old 12-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

wow!
the seminal classics are really coming full force aren't they.
ca.......not.......wait for every single one of these classics.
my main issue is wondering when Criterion will release these titles that they have the rights to in the US.
If only we could know it would make things SO much easier.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I assume there will be no English subtitles on this French release. Still, I suppose it's a hopeful sign that the title might be released in the UK and/or the US at some later date.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
I assume there will be no English subtitles on this French release. Still, I suppose it's a hopeful sign that the title might be released in the UK and/or the US at some later date.
Why do you think that? If it's Studio Canal Collection release then I'm pretty sure there will be English subtitles.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post
Why do you think that? If it's Studio Canal Collection release then I'm pretty sure there will be English subtitles.
Well in general it's very unusual for French BD editions to include English subtitles. Is there any reason to expect it to be different for a Studio Canal release in France?

Of course, it's possible that Optimum will be releasing the same title in the UK, but AFAIK no announcement has been made yet.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

the reason to expect it is because the discs are all the same--so that they can release them in different regions.
they show a company logo based on what region your player is.
All of the Lionsgate releases of these will be the exact same disc as released overseas.

Last edited by Arkadin; 07-07-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Expert Member

Nov 2009
7800 Namsos

Any news here?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #10

Apr 2009
Luxembourg

Quote:
Originally Posted by retask View Post
Any news here?
I'll second that one or give it a so called "bump"!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France