Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
5 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
11 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #641
Blu Myers Blu Myers is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Blu Myers's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL
13
383
3
63
Default

I've owned the 3D version of this for 6 months now and have never watched it until last night. The 3D is jaw dropping. I will never watch the 2D version again.
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #642
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
London, UK
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Myers View Post
I've owned the 3D version of this for 6 months now and have never watched it until last night. The 3D is jaw dropping. I will never watch the 2D version again.
I agree, Avatar is still unsurpassed as a 3D experience. It's a shame the longer cuts aren't available in 3D though, especially as the longest one is a superior film, adding a couple of great action scenes and some character development which especially benefits Sigourney Weaver's Dr. Augustine.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu Myers (11-29-2014), Paul H (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #643
Nighteyes Nighteyes is offline
Senior Member
 
Nighteyes's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I agree, Avatar is still unsurpassed as a 3D experience. It's a shame the longer cuts aren't available in 3D though, especially as the longest one is a superior film, adding a couple of great action scenes and some character development which especially benefits Sigourney Weaver's Dr. Augustine.
I dunno if it's a superior film. The movie remains rather generic and bland, and it shows the basic idea dates back to the 70s or thereabouts. However even after 6 years it's still the movie I usually choose to show to friends unfamiliar with 3D as a demo. Food for thought, too. Why is a movie that old still the prime choice, technically speaking? With all the technical advances, shouldn't Avatar be outclassed several times over by now? Seems to me the genre isn't making much progress ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #644
Interdimensional Interdimensional is offline
Member
 
Interdimensional's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

When I got into 3d Blu-ray, I decided this was the one title I wouldn't get. Not because of any issue I had with the film, but because the extended 3d edition seemed inevitable.

I've still managed to hold out, although I have to admit, the 3d lenticular cover looks pretty attractive. Seems like it's going to be a long wait. I'll probably cave and then they'll announce the extended edition when it's too late to return the damn thing.

The film certainly gets its fair share of haters(and some reasonable critiques), and I reckon many of us have probably heard all the usual complaints by now. Personally I found it a very effective piece of film-making, moreso than previous films it's frequently compared to. Backlash was probabaly inevitable considering the massively-hyped juggernaut it turned out to be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #645
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
75
223
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I dunno if it's a superior film. The movie remains rather generic and bland, and it shows the basic idea dates back to the 70s or thereabouts. However even after 6 years it's still the movie I usually choose to show to friends unfamiliar with 3D as a demo. Food for thought, too. Why is a movie that old still the prime choice, technically speaking? With all the technical advances, shouldn't Avatar be outclassed several times over by now? Seems to me the genre isn't making much progress ...
Hugo outclasses it in terms of 3d imho. The idea for avatar dates back well before the 70's to a princess of mars novel from 1917. That is where Avatar 'takes' most of its ideas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #646
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
105
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post

The film certainly gets its fair share of haters(and some reasonable critiques), and I reckon many of us have probably heard all the usual complaints by now. Personally I found it a very effective piece of film-making, moreso than previous films it's frequently compared to. Backlash was probabaly inevitable considering the massively-hyped juggernaut it turned out to be.
Agreed, and true that for every film there will be those who hate it for their own reasons and miss out on the fun of the experience the movie offers. A lot depends on the expectations going in to see it too, and the target audience. Sometimes, the comments of the haters outweigh the positive posts, and in this case, more people tend to like the film than not.

When I watched this a few weeks ago again, the 3D looks consistently strong most times once we get into the main Jungle scenes and battles. Prior to that, it's a bit inconsistent, with a good number of medium average 3D shots, a few mild shots and some strong shots.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #647
Interdimensional Interdimensional is offline
Member
 
Interdimensional's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Agreed, and true that for every film there will be those who hate it for their own reasons and miss out on the fun of the experience the movie offers. A lot depends on the expectations going in to see it too, and the target audience. Sometimes, the comments of the haters outweigh the positive posts, and in this case, more people tend to like the film than not.

When I watched this a few weeks ago again, the 3D looks consistently strong most times once we get into the main Jungle scenes and battles. Prior to that, it's a bit inconsistent, with a good number of medium average 3D shots, a few mild shots and some strong shots.
I saw it opening night, having avoided the trailers and with very little idea what to expect. It was one of the most memorable cinema experiences I've had to date, up there with Jurassic Park. Really enthusiastic audience too. If I'd heard some of the 'Smurfahontas' comments in advance I know I would've found it a lot more predictable. But it's one of those movies where the sequences themselves are extremely well-constructed and enjoyable, even when you know where it's going.

One of the things I remember about the 3d is when he first takes control of his avatar body, there's a shot from his point of view, and the 3d effect is exaggerated because he's looking through eyes that are further apart. I found that particularly effective, a clever use of the technology.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #648
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
London, UK
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I dunno if it's a superior film. The movie remains rather generic and bland, and it shows the basic idea dates back to the 70s or thereabouts. However even after 6 years it's still the movie I usually choose to show to friends unfamiliar with 3D as a demo. Food for thought, too. Why is a movie that old still the prime choice, technically speaking? With all the technical advances, shouldn't Avatar be outclassed several times over by now? Seems to me the genre isn't making much progress ...
Whenever anybody dares to say anything positive about Avatar, some forum bright spark will make the wildly original observation that the film is derivate, etc, etc. The Internet hive mind has decided that this will forever be the stick to beat Avatar with, even thought hardly any of the big blockbusters have a hugely original story and are derivative of other films and mythologies, not least of all the much adored Star Wars. I'm not even sure what "basic idea" that goes back to the 70s you mean. The Gaia hypothesis ? Because I think that's a pretty interesting idea to base a world and a mythology on. No major film had done it before.

Avatar isn't really very old and it put 3D on the map again because Cameron invented technology for it which hasn't been surpassed yet. The reason it works so well in 3D is its design, its incredibly detailed and luminescant environments, which are particularly well suited for the technology. As a whole it's been thought through better than pretty much any other film, as to how to make it an optimal 3D experience.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (12-10-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #649
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
105
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
One of the things I remember about the 3d is when he first takes control of his avatar body, there's a shot from his point of view, and the 3d effect is exaggerated because he's looking through eyes that are further apart. I found that particularly effective, a clever use of the technology.
I'll have to watch that shot again. Good observation about the distance between the Na'vi's eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Whenever anybody dares to say anything positive about Avatar, some forum bright spark will make the wildly original observation that the film is derivate, etc, etc. The Internet hive mind has decided that this will forever be the stick to beat Avatar with, even thought hardly any of the big blockbusters have a hugely original story and are derivative of other films and mythologies, not least of all the much adored Star Wars. I'm not even sure what "basic idea" that goes back to the 70s you mean. The Gaia hypothesis ? Because I think that's a pretty interesting idea to base a world and a mythology on. No major film had done it before.

Avatar isn't really very old and it put 3D on the map again because Cameron invented technology for it which hasn't been surpassed yet. The reason it works so well in 3D is its design, its incredibly detailed and luminescant environments, which are particularly well suited for the technology. As a whole it's been thought through better than pretty much any other film, as to how to make it an optimal 3D experience.
Good points. If we really look far back into the history of storytelling over the generations o humankind, there are only so many ways to tell and explain a story or experience, so similarities are always present for even the most original scripts.

Critics can sometimes overlook the purpose of the story, which is not to always be original, but more importantly connect in a meaningful way with the intended audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia.com
As of November 2014, Pre-production (on the Avatar Sequels) has begun, and filming will reportedly begin in December 2014.
I thought Cameron would have begun filming by now, but remember they won't release the Avatar 2 3D film till 2016.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:12 AM   #650
Interdimensional Interdimensional is offline
Member
 
Interdimensional's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Whenever anybody dares to say anything positive about Avatar, some forum bright spark will make the wildly original observation that the film is derivative, etc, etc. The Internet hive mind has decided that this will forever be the stick to beat Avatar with, even thought hardly any of the big blockbusters have a hugely original story and are derivative of other films and mythologies, not least of all the much adored Star Wars.
That's been my experience. It then turns into a back and forth that's become tiresome for all concerned.

I've heard all the arguments at this point. I can accept that some were put off by the hype, or didn't want to like it, or maybe just plain didn't like it.

Ultimately a lot of people did like it, it got favourable reviews from most critics, and a lot of people will be there opening night for the sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I'll have to watch that shot again. Good observation about the distance between the Na'vi's eyes.
hopefully I'm not misremembering that bit. Has it really been 5 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I thought Cameron would have begun filming by now, but remember they won't release the Avatar 2 3D film till 2016.
Apparently they've been spending a lot of time prepping the story. Cameron is also one of those directors with a background in effects who understands the advantage of allowing time for preproduction.

The real test will be whether the sequels stack up, when there's no obvious framework to hang it on like with the first movie. It could end up like the Matrix sequels or the Star Wars prequels. Although Cameron does tend to be good with sequels. See Aliens, T2.

(just don't anyone bring up Piranha 2)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #651
levcore levcore is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Worcester, UK
759
2
Default

Avatar is fantastic escpaist cinematic entertainment from one of the best directors working in cinema today. Cameron is an absolute master and whilst he may not be the strongest scriptwriter, his other talents outweight that. It's worth noting that the scripts for the 3 Avatar sequels are not being written by him, so any issues people had with dialogue etc. will hopefully be rectified with the sequels.

This feels like a Christmas movie to me so i'll be waiting until later in the month for a rewatch, might even get my parents round as they have only seen it in 2D.
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN

Instagram: levcore

Steelbooks Looking to trade (unsealed): Green Lantern HMV Exclusive, Chronicle Play Exclusive, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1, Enders Game HMV Exclusive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #652
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
105
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
That's been my experience. It then turns into a back and forth that's become tiresome for all concerned.

I've heard all the arguments at this point. I can accept that some were put off by the hype, or didn't want to like it, or maybe just plain didn't like it.

Ultimately a lot of people did like it, it got favourable reviews from most critics, and a lot of people will be there opening night for the sequel.



hopefully I'm not misremembering that bit. Has it really been 5 years?



Apparently they've been spending a lot of time prepping the story. Cameron is also one of those directors with a background in effects who understands the advantage of allowing time for preproduction.

The real test will be whether the sequels stack up, when there's no obvious framework to hang it on like with the first movie. It could end up like the Matrix sequels or the Star Wars prequels. Although Cameron does tend to be good with sequels. See Aliens, T2.

(just don't anyone bring up Piranha 2)
That was funny about Piranha 2. That being one of his first films directed which he had a tough time with I read.

Preparation for filming all 3 sequels together will be a challenge, so good point about taking his time to get it right.
I imagine the theme of humans versus nature will continue in Avatar 2, 3 and 4. Surprised they're making a 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Avatar is fantastic escpaist cinematic entertainment from one of the best directors working in cinema today. Cameron is an absolute master and whilst he may not be the strongest scriptwriter, his other talents outweight that. It's worth noting that the scripts for the 3 Avatar sequels are not being written by him, so any issues people had with dialogue etc. will hopefully be rectified with the sequels.

This feels like a Christmas movie to me so i'll be waiting until later in the month for a rewatch, might even get my parents round as they have only seen it in 2D.
Agreed; Cameron's films are entertaining and help transport the viewer into his envisioned world if they're willing. His films definitely have a theme or message running through them too, beyond just entertainment.

Avatar's 3D success got the current 3D market rolling, so here's hoping it cements the presence of modern 3DTV's for the foreseeable future.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bluray3d4life (12-10-2014), levcore (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 AM   #653
Scarriere Scarriere is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Scarriere's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
North of Sixty
18
340
15
Default

I've been trying to decide what to watch and reading this thread has decided it for me.
I haven't seen the 3D version since it was in theatres. This should be good!
The trouble with quotes from the internet is, you never know wether they were genuine or not - Abraham Lincoln
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 PM.