Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$68.00
Band of Brothers (Blu-ray)
$14.99
True Detective: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Pacific (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Independence Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Only Yesterday (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Angry Birds Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.50
Ranma ˝: Set 7 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ip Man Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #1001
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I wanted to get the "D", but money was tight and I couldn't get any firm opinion as to if it was worth it. What do you think - noticeable?
Even without the Darbee the "D" slightly outperforms the original 103, just tiny revisions & tweaks here and there.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #1002
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Even without the Darbee the "D" slightly outperforms the original 103, just tiny revisions & tweaks here and there.
So nowhere near the improvement shown in the 7 split-screen review pix I posted a link to? The right side of the pix looks like a non-upscaled, DNR'd DVD, while the left side looks incredibly well-defined. Then you read the comments and no-one seemed to like it, some saying they never should've replaced the Marvell QDEO chip (only on 105's?). But those split-pix are far out. Ah, if I only had the cash to experiment.

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bd...reviewed/#Oppo BDP-103D Darbee Visual Presence Comparison
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, it’s what I do for a living. There’s gotta be a method to it. It’s psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. It’s a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****in’ legs, he’ll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #1003
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
So nowhere near the improvement shown in the 7 split-screen review pix I posted a link to?

No, I was just commenting on the differences *without* the Darbee between the 103 and 103D.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #1004

Jan 2011

are there any cheap (sub $100) blu-ray players that handle these problematic discs well?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #1005
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

So, verdict on the Oppo 10x series of players: Can they stream the faulty disc okay without having to revert to LPCM? 103 vs 103D, would that make a difference?

(Wish I had a setup I could test it on, but I don't.)
Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #1006
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
So, verdict on the Oppo 10x series of players: Can they stream the faulty disc okay without having to revert to LPCM? 103 vs 103D, would that make a difference?

(Wish I had a setup I could test it on, but I don't.)

Again, it's *not* a faulty disc.

The Oppo 103 does not have the faulty MediaTek chipset. So there are no issues.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #1007
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Again, it's *not* a faulty disc.

The Oppo 103 does not have the faulty MediaTek chipset. So there are no issues.
Agree to disagree about it being a faulty disc or not.

But thanks for satisfying my curiosity regarding whether the 103 can play it properly without having to convert it internally to LPCM first. Good to know.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #1008
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Got this in some $5 sale a while back and finally watched it. Kind of entertaining if you pretend it's not a remake of a ten times better film, though they keep reminding you that's exactly what it is with annoying winks to the audience. That has to be the stupidest decision I have seen in a movie in a long time. The action and visuals were nice though, but damn is it too dark.

Also I will never understand how Jessica Biel ever got work. I hope she is enjoying retirement as Timberlake's baby-mama.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #1009
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Got this in some $5 sale a while back and finally watched it. Kind of entertaining if you pretend it's not a remake of a ten times better film, though they keep reminding you that's exactly what it is with annoying winks to the audience. That has to be the stupidest decision I have seen in a movie in a long time. The action and visuals were nice though, but damn is it too dark.

Also I will never understand how Jessica Biel ever got work. I hope she is enjoying retirement as Timberlake's baby-mama.
I was pleasantly surprised when I first watched it, but my opinion of it went way down on the second viewing. Same thing happened with Live Free or Die Hard, which went from being my third favorite of the series to my least favorite. Lesson learned: never watch a Len Wiseman movie twice.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #1010
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Uh, Jessica Biel is still “working”, so ... not retired as either an actress or ... whatever.

As for Total Recall, I got it cheap and kept it - don't think I've ever seen it a second time so can't say, but I've seen Live Free or Die Hard several times and it's a hoot - at least the third best in the series (but I do hate the BS "edited version only" on BD shit - Christ, it's only the series ****ing tag line ). By the way, Wiseman is the listed director for the announced Die Hard Year One - the John McClane “origin” story, so watch out, Lucky (and how the hell does Bruce play McClane as a young man - even with a wig and a facemask - animation?).
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, it’s what I do for a living. There’s gotta be a method to it. It’s psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. It’s a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****in’ legs, he’ll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #1011
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2015

Quote:
Uh, Jessica Biel is still “working”, so ... not retired as either an actress or ... whatever.

As for Total Recall, I got it cheap and kept it - don't think I've ever seen it a second time so can't say, but I've seen Live Free or Die Hard several times and it's a hoot - at least the third best in the series (but I do hate the BS "edited version only" on BD shit - Christ, it's only the series ****ing tag line ). By the way, Wiseman is the listed director for the announced Die Hard Year One - the John McClane “origin” story, so watch out, Lucky (and how the hell does Bruce play McClane as a young man - even with a wig and a facemask - animation?).
I assume they'll have Willis back for bookends and recast for the younger McClane in the flashbacks. Which is fine with me since Willis clearly doesn't give a shit anymore and has flat-out admitted that he only did the last two movies so Fox would fund other projects for him in return.

I'm one of the few people who actually sort of enjoyed the fifth movie on its own terms, but I can still admit that there's such a massive gap in quality between John McTiernan's two installments and the other three that I can't say I really care much where they take the series or who's making it at this point. It's all fan fiction to me.

Just like the Die Hard: Year One comic book, which I recently threw in my online shopping cart when buying some other stuff. Why? I don't know, since I don't have much desire to read it. I flipped through one volume and saw a panel with McClane in an air conditioning duct and saying something like, "I hope this is the last time I ever have to do this." Typical stupid prequel shit. I'm so over this series.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #1012
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I still liked Live Free on a second go. It's not great, but it's a stupid-fun movie.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #1013

May 2015

Utterly forgettable POS movie. Ripped off the entire look of Blade Runner. Total waste of Bryan Cranston. I can barely remember a single thing about it. Just like the Robocop reboot, this came and went so quickly and left no lasting impression whatsoever. Both instantly forgettable and pointless movies. The originals are still absolute classics that are still talked about and revered 30 years later.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 AM   #1014

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDragon View Post
since Willis clearly doesn't give a shit anymore
When is the last time Willis gave a shit? He's made one good movie (Sin City) over the last 20 years. He's beyond giving a shit at this point. He was never a great actor to begin with. He was charismatic and great as John McClane in the first 3 Die Hards. Nothing else he did was ever very good and he only ever really played McClane in most of his movies. He's gotten by on very little ability more than just about anyone else in Holywood. He's apparently a massive ******* in real life too.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #1015
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptHowdy87 View Post
When is the last time Willis gave a shit? He's made one good movie (Sin City) over the last 20 years. He's beyond giving a shit at this point. He was never a great actor to begin with. He was charismatic and great as John McClane in the first 3 Die Hards. Nothing else he did was ever very good and he only ever really played McClane in most of his movies. He's gotten by on very little ability more than just about anyone else in Holywood. He's apparently a massive ******* in real life too.
A lot of people, including myself, quite like Live Free or Die hard. It's nowhere near as good as 1 or 3, but it's fun. I would also say these are at least considered good by a substantial amount of people as well:

Surrogates
Planet Terror
Red
Looper
Moonrise Kingdom

He definitely hasn't had the same career the last 20 years as he did the 10-15 before that, but I think you could say the same of almost any star. They all have their peak periods and then get more hit-or-miss. Well, except Tom Cruise, somehow.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America