Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Intern (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Bride of Re-Animator (Blu-ray)
$27.99
NFL Super Bowl 50 Champions: Denver Broncos (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Pieces (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fargo: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Leftovers: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Death Walks Twice: Two Films By Luciano Ercoli (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Goosebumps (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old Today, 06:01 AM   #20721

May 2015

Just finished watching Thunderbirds Are Go / Thunderbird 6. What a great TT release!

I was born a few years after Thunderbirds debuted on British television. I first caught repeats of the show as a young boy and was instantly hooked. I bought the original VHS releases, the A&E DVD sets after moving to the US, and the Shout Factory BD set last year. However, I had never seen the two feature films released after the end of the television run, so finally picked up the TT BD a couple of weeks back.

Both films are great fun. Thunderbirds Are Go plays more like an extended episode of the television show. It gets a little sidetracked with a Mars/alien sub-plot that adds nothing to the story, but features a remarkable and almost surreal dream sequence that includes a performance by real-life 60's Brit pop icons Cliff Richard and the Shadows - who frankly look and sound incredible as marionettes. Thunderbird 6 is perhaps the more satisfying of the two films: Although both feature espionage, the latter more closely resembles a "thriller" while still adhering to the Thunderbirds "rescue" format.

PQ is excellent, and highlights the incredible model work that exemplifies the attention to detail for which Thunderbirds became famous. At the forefront is the astonishing special effects work of Derek Meddings, who went on to make significant contributions to the Bond films of the 1970's. AQ is fine; as a purist, I chose the mono option.

The films are essential viewing for fans of the show (what took me so long?), and for anyone interested in science fiction with a 60's espionage bent. According to the most recent Low Quantity Update on Page 1 of this thread there are fewer than 350 copies remaining, so if you are at all interested, or intrigued by these films, I wouldn't hesitate in ordering your copy.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors