Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$68.00
Band of Brothers (Blu-ray)
$14.99
True Detective: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Pacific (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Independence Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Only Yesterday (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Angry Birds Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.50
Ranma ½: Set 7 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ip Man Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #20701
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Ohio USA

Cat Ballou
SteelBooks™: 182

PRE-ORDERS
JUNE: 99 River Street, Hidden Fear, Shield for Murder, Too Late for Tears, Woman on the Run
Old 02-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #20702
Power Member

Nov 2013
At the end of a Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Update: They told me they'll only do a refund if the order is less than $50 (mine was $200) but that she'd check with the owners if something could be done. I told her I hope they could considering I've easily ordered over $1000 in movies from them over the past 2 years.
Crap that sucks. I hope TT comes through for you.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #20703
Power Member

Nov 2013
At the end of a Cape

I wonder if it is possible that Twilight Time can offer titles that were originally on Blu-ray but then go out of print? 2 titles that appear to meet that criteria are Starman and Cocoon. Even as I type this I suppose even if they could, TT might well not want to, assuming that consumer demand would not be high since they were once available and many who wanted those titles already have them (as I do, having resorted to buying the UK and German editions respectively due to their OOP status here in the States). But as we know, there are a lot of John Carpenter fans so maybe Starman would be a good seller for TT.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #20704
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovoyager View Post
I wonder if it is possible that Twilight Time can offer titles that were originally on Blu-ray but then go out of print? 2 titles that appear to meet that criteria are Starman and Cocoon. Even as I type this I suppose even if they could, TT might well not want to, assuming that consumer demand would not be high since they were once available and many who wanted those titles already have them (as I do, having resorted to buying the UK and German editions respectively due to their OOP status here in the States). But as we know, there are a lot of John Carpenter fans so maybe Starman would be a good seller for TT.
Sony usually ends up giving these types of titles to Mill Creek for reissue.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #20705
Power Member

Nov 2013
At the end of a Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
Sony usually ends up giving these types of titles to Mill Creek for reissue.
Thank you, I did not know it was Sony that did that. Do other studios sometimes do the same in giving Mill Creek OOP titles, or it solely Sony?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #20706
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008

Only Sony has done that with a handful of their OOP titles IIRC
Thanks given by:
solovoyager (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #20707
Special Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovoyager View Post
Thank you, I did not know it was Sony that did that. Do other studios sometimes do the same in giving Mill Creek OOP titles, or it solely Sony?
Yup. Just Sony. Cocoon is Fox though, in any case.
Thanks given by:
solovoyager (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #20708
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by drak b View Post
Yep. IIRC it's the second time that this has happened...

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]
It looks like this was caught in the nick of time and the UPC for SYLS / SYLG should be corrected when it is released.
Thanks given by:
drak b (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #20709

Dec 2009
With the Ale and Quail Club on a train to Palm Beach

Pre-orders begin Wednesday, March 2, @ 4 pm EST

Special Features: TBD
Twilight Time Release Schedule Thread

The Samuel Fuller on Blu-ray Thread

"Boys, you got to learn not to talk to nuns that way" - Curtis, The Blues Brothers (1980)

"The last time a man opened the door for me, we were going 60 miles an hour" - Christa, Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973)

Last edited by oildude; 02-10-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:59 AM   #20710

Dec 2009

Special Features: TBD

"Boys, you got to learn not to talk to nuns that way" - Curtis, The Blues Brothers (1980)

"The last time a man opened the door for me, we were going 60 miles an hour" - Christa, Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973)
Thanks given by:
klauswhereareyou (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 02:00 AM   #20711

Dec 2009

Quote:
Special Features: Isolated Score Track (with some effects) / Audio Commentary with Film Historians Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman / Original Theatrical Trailer

Old 02-10-2016, 02:45 AM   #20712

Dec 2009

haha.... after the posts above, I just noticed I have advanced in Blu-ray rank. After six years on the forum, I have become a samurai.

So I'll use that as an excuse to plug one of Twilight Time's best films, Yoji Yamada's magnificent The Twilight Samurai. I rank this one up near Harakiri (1962) as one of the best samurai films I have ever seen. If you are not a samurai fan, this film will still make you fall in love with its gorgeous cinematography and interesting story that begins deceptively as a well-acted drama, slowly building suspense, before unleashing a searing chain of events that will leave you on the edge of your seat. With a hauntingly beautiful music score from master musician Isao Tomita (of 1970s electronica fame), The Twilight Samurai is another in a long line of masterpieces to come out of Japan over the decades, and reminds me why I can't get enough of great movies.

Thanks given by:
bruceames. (02-10-2016), ElliesDad (02-10-2016), jayembee (02-10-2016), krasnoludek (02-10-2016), Page14 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:16 AM   #20713
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

The first two movies in the the Samurai Trilogy (The Twilight Samurai and The Hidden Blade) are my favorite Japanese movies, period. They are one of the few movies I rewatch every year. Love and Honor (the 3rd movie in the trilogy) is very good as well, and I watch it yearly as well.
Thanks given by:
deltasun (02-10-2016), Page14 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:28 AM   #20714
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

I was on the fence about blind buying The Twilight Samurai during the most recent sale on SAE's website. Seeing these comments make me glad that I went for it. Nice.
So many blurays, so little time.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #20715

May 2015

Just finished watching Thunderbirds Are Go / Thunderbird 6. What a great TT release!

I was born a few years after Thunderbirds debuted on British television. I first caught repeats of the show as a young boy and was instantly hooked. I bought the original VHS releases, the A&E DVD sets after moving to the US, and the Shout Factory BD set last year. However, I had never seen the two feature films released after the end of the television run, so finally picked up the TT BD a couple of weeks back.

Both films are great fun. Thunderbirds Are Go plays more like an extended episode of the television show. It gets a little sidetracked with a Mars/alien sub-plot that adds nothing to the story, but features a remarkable and almost surreal dream sequence that includes a performance by real-life 60's Brit pop icons Cliff Richard and the Shadows - who frankly look and sound incredible as marionettes. Thunderbird 6 is perhaps the more satisfying of the two films: Although both feature espionage, the latter more closely resembles a "thriller" while still adhering to the Thunderbirds "rescue" format.

PQ is excellent, and highlights the incredible model work that exemplifies the attention to detail for which Thunderbirds became famous. At the forefront is the astonishing special effects work of Derek Meddings, who went on to make significant contributions to the Bond films of the 1970's. AQ is fine; as a purist, I chose the mono option.

The films are essential viewing for fans of the show (what took me so long?), and for anyone interested in science fiction with a 60's espionage bent. According to the most recent Low Quantity Update on Page 1 of this thread there are fewer than 350 copies remaining, so if you are at all interested, or intrigued by these films, I wouldn't hesitate in ordering your copy.
Thanks given by:
bruceames. (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #20716
Power Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
haha.... after the posts above, I just noticed I have advanced in Blu-ray rank. After six years on the forum, I have become a samurai.

So I'll use that as an excuse to plug one of Twilight Time's best films, Yoji Yamada's magnificent The Twilight Samurai. I rank this one up near Harakiri (1962) as one of the best samurai films I have ever seen. If you are not a samurai fan, this film will still make you fall in love with its gorgeous cinematography and interesting story that begins deceptively as a well-acted drama, slowly building suspense, before unleashing a searing chain of events that will leave you on the edge of your seat. With a hauntingly beautiful music score from master musician Isao Tomita (of 1970s electronica fame), The Twilight Samurai is another in a long line of masterpieces to come out of Japan over the decades, and reminds me why I can't get enough of great movies.
I love the Twilight Samurai. Still have my asian DVD of it, and would very much like to upgrade it. But wasn't there som issue with the PQ of TT's release?
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Kill Baby Kill, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Man Bites Dog, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, The Thing From Another World, L'arcano incantatore (Arcane Sorcerer), Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, Andy Warhol's Dracula, The Revenge of Frankenstein, Lust for a Vampire.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #20717
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Perth

Some possible good news for those that missed out on Night of the Living Dead 1990.

Thanks to Cevolution for the heads up!
That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing.

4K UHD - The Experts Agree, Occasionally it's a little better!

Wanted: Ant-Man Steelbook (AU) For Trade: Avengers Steelbook (AU), Django Steelbook (AU)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #20718

May 2013

Really wish Twilight could/would dip into some older Fox titles like Tin Pan Alley & State Fair (1931). Clearly Fox has no interest in them.
Thanks given by:
docc (02-10-2016), drak b (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #20719

Sep 2014

I'm not sure if TT still has access to MGM's archives, but more and more, Nicholas Nickleby (2002) seems to me like such a perfect TT port of an under-appreciated release MGM will probably never put out themselves. I can even see this under Olive Films, but, <shudder>, here's hoping someone out there decides on the better option. A lossless track of the lovely Rachel Portman score would be quite, er, lovely.

Anyway, just a thought. I've had the film poster (and the film, as a result) in my head for a while now, with the Twilight Time label right over it, colored gold just like the borders of the poster itself.

Thanks given by:
warrian (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #20720

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
Really wish Twilight could/would dip into some older Fox titles like Tin Pan Alley & State Fair (1931). Clearly Fox has no interest in them.
I'd be happy with some of the Tyrone Power films from the 30s and 40s....

Fox made them available in sets for DVD but nothing from Blu-ray.

He was their biggest star for many of those years.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors