Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Minions 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Jurassic Park Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.92

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.49

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.92

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.89

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.43

Fascination Coral Reef 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.64

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #101
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaa6344 View Post
First of all this movie has some of the best and strongest live-action 3d aside from imax titles, and a very high production value and visual quality. i didn't find the story as "convoluted" as others have made it out to be, but there are more than a few minor plot points that get lost (or just dropped) in the 2nd half of the movie, so I can see what they're talking about. As long as you understand who is on the the east and west bureaus in the beginning it's not too hard to follow along, even though there are a LOT of characters.
[Show spoiler]But i will say this, within 1 minute after the opening credits finished I had to switch to the (not great) english 2.0 dub because the subtitles were too distracting to the 3d, not to mention they also jump around the image and not just at the bottom. I think it would have REALLY helped if they kept the subs on the black bars part of the screen for this movie, and at screen position depth so as to not ruin the image or annoy the viewers. The dub isn't that great but I got used to it, and it probably got better as you go along. I think anyone on this forum would turn the subs off as well. Whenever I watch it again (and yes i will, it is amazing visually), i'll watch it with the original track and no subs since i know pretty much what they're saying anyway. For anyone who likes movies like crouching tiger or hero, this is a no brainer (especially at $18). It's not corny or cartoony (or even a comedy) like shaolin soccer or kung fu hustle, but it's not 100% the most serious or artistic movie either....it's probably about as serious as an action movie with flying-around sword-fighting can be lol. and yes the movie has tons of action.
the visuals are great the only thing kinda sucky is the dub. btw no clue about uk vs us discs
Great summary.

I watched this 3 times now, floored by the awesome 3D.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #102

Apr 2011
Upstate New York

I've heard there is an IMAX version in 3D Blu-ray that is full frame 16x9? Can any one confirm this? Mine is the 2.35 USA version, and while stunning in quality, I can't help but imagine how much better it would be in open matte IMAX format!! Some of the shots do feel a little cramped and if it was cropped from the IMAX version that would explain it.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #103
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaa6344 View Post
The dub isn't that great but I got used to it, and it probably got better as you go along. I think anyone on this forum would turn the subs off as well.
I don't watch dubs as a matter of principle. Ever. But I agree it's pretty hard following the subs with this title even if you're used to it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #104
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Newark, DE

I got this when i placed a pretty big order from Bestbuy website using giftcards i got this past X-mas haven't watched it just yet hoping too soon enough though.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #105
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperx187 View Post
I got this when i placed a pretty big order from Bestbuy website using giftcards i got this past X-mas haven't watched it just yet hoping too soon enough though.
3D is one of the best you can buy for a feature film.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #106
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Anyone compared the US vs HK yet? (is US=UK?)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #107
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan View Post
Anyone compared the US vs HK yet? (is US=UK?)
Not sure. The US version sold in Best Buy has a 2D foil slip cover with the top saying Blu Ray 3D/Blu Ray. Jet Li pointing his sword forward and to the left of the Cover. The discs inside have region "A" for All regions, so maybe they're the same discs with different packaging?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #108
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Enjoyed this so much more when I switched to the english dub. Normaly I do subs but it was too much with the 3d.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, any Phish, the Last Castle, Clan of the Cavebear, Silver Bullet, Beastmaster, Sword and the Sorcerer. Samsung pn51f8500 plasma active 3d, Vizio 42" LCD passive 3d, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #109
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Yes, trying to read dialog and appreciate the great 3D visuals at the same time is not much fun at first. I was relieved the subtitles turned off, as when the film first started, the subtitles for the opening credits were permanent and not removable.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #110
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Bruce Wayne lives in my attic
Default Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D

Just got the Best Buy edition yesterday and watched it as the first 3D movie on my new 60" Samsung plasma.

I've been pretty vocally against 3D in the past and I still am steamed by cash in conversions by studios. I do respect well done and proper 3D now.

I put my review on the page for this title, so I won't go much into that aside from I don't think those unfamiliar with the genre would like the movie. There is also a ton of CGI, and it's not Grade A Hollywood type, I think Asia is still catching up in that aspect.

I thought the 3D in it was very well used. In almost every scene there was added depth, sometimes subtle, sometimes more pronounced. Very few pop out gimmicks. The only movie I have seen that has presented 3D in this manner was Avatar.

A welcome addition to my Blu-ray collection in 2 or 3D.
Samsung UN65MU8000 - Xbox One X Scorpio Edition - Denon X1200W - Logitech Harmony Ultimate One
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #111
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Bruce Wayne lives in my attic

I missed this thread before. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Great 3D. Some of the wirework in the beginning was not the best, but the movie overall was enjoyable.
Samsung UN65MU8000 - Xbox One X Scorpio Edition - Denon X1200W - Logitech Harmony Ultimate One
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #112
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Yes, trying to read dialog and appreciate the great 3D visuals at the same time is not much fun at first. I was relieved the subtitles turned off, as when the film first started, the subtitles for the opening credits were permanent and not removable.
That opening shot over the ships being built is so amazing. I'm just gutted that the (Cantonese?) credits are burnt in so they are always there over that shot. otherwise I'd be using that shot as a reference one to show off epic 3D. Honestly i think it's one of my favourite 3D FX shots.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #113
Expert Member

Jul 2009
-
-
-

I rented this and though the disc said it was "Disc 2" and had 3D on it, I could swear this was flat. Usually you can tell if a title is 3D by taking your glasses off and noticing the background or extreme foreground is blurry.

I saw no blur.

The Blu-ray.com review praises this for it's 3D, but I don't get it.

Anyone else own this and can confirm its as good as its cracked up to be?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #114
Banned

Mar 2010

The 3D is excellent but the film is one of the worst I've ever endured.

It's not always that blurry even if the 3D is good.

Last edited by Impossible; 03-13-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #115
Special Member

Apr 2012
Thumbs down

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

http://forum.blu-ray.com/newreply.ph...te=1&p=7272432

Already threaded.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #116
Expert Member

Jul 2009
-
-
-

sookymonster,

Found the thread...there were 2. This was newest, didn't see the other...

When I say blurry, I meant a double image blur.....you know, a 3D blur.....you know what I mean, I know you've seen it!

Last edited by Mao; 03-13-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #117
Special Member

Sep 2012
Los Angeles

You must have been watching the 2d version because this title has some great 3d in it and you'd definitely see the blur if you took off the glasses. I agree that the movie isn't that great but the 3d effects were enough for me to finish watching it. I tried to watch it with subtitles but had to switch to english dub because I couldn't read he dialogue fast enough and still enjoy the 3d
Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #118
Banned

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao View Post
sookymonster,

Found the thread...there were 2. This was newest, didn't see the other...

When I say blurry, I meant a double image blur.....you know, a 3D blur.....you know what I mean, I know you've seen it!
You were clearly watching the 2D disc as the 3D is very blurry.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #119
Expert Member

Jul 2009
-
-
-

Thanks!

I will seek out a better version!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #120
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
I missed this thread before. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Great 3D. Some of the wirework in the beginning was not the best, but the movie overall was enjoyable.
Cool. Yes, Awesome 3D. Glad I took the advice on this thread for the 3D. Pretty cool sword fighting action too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
That opening shot over the ships being built is so amazing. I'm just gutted that the (Cantonese?) credits are burnt in so they are always there over that shot. otherwise I'd be using that shot as a reference one to show off epic 3D. Honestly i think it's one of my favourite 3D FX shots.
Yeah, that was an awesome 3D fly through shot. They likely rendered it in 3D using computer animation props/models of the ships.
I agree that those intro credits should have been included with the subtitles so we could shut them off.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies