COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #201
Power Member

Oct 2008
Land Of Lincoln, USA Blu-ray SteelBooks™ (96)

I wish there were sequels.
Why are there so many on the left that say "No Hate" but are full of "Hate"?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #202
Banned

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcards View Post
I wish there were sequels.
+1. I enjoyed this film.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #203
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
+1. I enjoyed this film.
+2

'John Carter of Mars' was a pulp fiction masterpiece in my eyes. I hate that we'll never get the sequels. This movie deserved so much better.
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell

Instagram: pj_campbell
Thanks given by:
MilkManX (06-11-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #204

Oct 2013
Alabama

+3
Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #205
Banned

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
+2

'John Carter of Mars' was a pulp fiction masterpiece in my eyes. I hate that we'll never get the sequels. This movie deserved so much better.
While it looks quite bleak, I never like to say "never".
Not sure how the licensing works with this. Perhaps some other studio could option the rights from the Burroughs estate? Of course Disney's deep pockets would be missed!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #206
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardkore View Post
+3
+4

Quote:
Not sure how the licensing works with this. Perhaps some other studio could option the rights from the Burroughs estate? Of course Disney's deep pockets would be missed!
But if another studio becomes involved, it wouldn't be a sequel. It's more than likely it'd be a reboot. It not being a direct sequel is the missed opportunity here.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #207

Jul 2013

This movie is great. I still can't believe it bombed. I really want a sequel.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #208
Special Member

Dec 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
The first five novels are public domain, so as long as they ignore later material, there's no need to pay anyone for the rights.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #209
Special Member

Jul 2007
Planet Earth

I highly enjoyed this film as well. When this got released on video, I recommended it to everyone at work. Most of them liked it but some, meh. I too wish that a sequel will be given a chance.
Jar Jar Binks is so underatted
Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #210

Apr 2011

I grew up with my older brother raving over the books. He never lived to see this film. When I saw it and loved it, I knew he would have too. Every time I sit to watch it I think of him.

I really like the music, especially the theme at the beginning of the piece below; but upon hearing it I realized it was extremely close to a song that was used at the end of DESTINATION MOONBASE ALPHA, a film comprised of two episodes from Year II of SPACE: 1999
Take a listen and compare...

Last edited by ditcin; 06-07-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #211
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Personally, I thought the film was awful. I think it borrowed too much from other films, the leads had no chemistry, and the director - talented in many respects - definitely showed his 'first time at live action' chops here.

To each their own, of course. Just thought I'd chime in since I had no clue was this thread had been resurrected at this particular point in time.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #212

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Personally, I thought the film was awful. I think it borrowed too much from other films, the leads had no chemistry, and the director - talented in many respects - definitely showed his 'first time at live action' chops here.

To each their own, of course. Just thought I'd chime in since I had no clue was this thread had been resurrected at this particular point in time.
More likely other films have STOLEN from this one since this film is based on written material that stem way before most since.
Really.
Thanks given by:
BLUgrass (07-06-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #213
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
More likely other films have STOLEN from this one since this film is based on written material that stem way before most since.

Really.

Oh yeah, I am aware of that. How things play out on screen though come off looking like those other films though, instead of finding a unique visual flare, tone or atmosphere. I think a director with a bit more experience - one that actually had done more stuff behind a camera, that is - could have made John Carter something epic. I just didn't feel it with this one.

There is a very rabid fan base though, so I imagine I may get into some trouble sharing that opinion anywhere online. I wrote a review for the blu, and it wasn't positive. Next thing you know, I have Carter fanatics attacking me and my opinions. It was probably the most surprising backlash I have had on a review to date.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 06-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #214
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Oh yeah, I am aware of that. How things play out on screen though come off looking like those other films though, instead of finding a unique visual flare, tone or atmosphere. I think a director with a bit more experience - one that actually had done more stuff behind a camera, that is - could have made John Carter something epic. I just didn't feel it with this one.

There is a very rabid fan base though, so I imagine I may get into some trouble sharing that opinion anywhere online. I wrote a review for the blu, and it wasn't positive. Next thing you know, I have Carter fanatics attacking me and my opinions. It was probably the most surprising backlash I have had on a review to date.
I certainly hope you don't get that response here. While most in this thread would (respectfully) disagree with you, it's not like you came in here thread-crapping. You stated your opinion in a reasonable, respectful fashion, and you outlined your rationale.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #215

Jun 2012
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
+2

+999999999

Probably the best pulp to cinema adaptation(next would be Solomon Kane and unfortunately all 3 times they have done CONAN on film he is far removed from his pulp character..)
Current Rig
Panasonic p50s60 50" 1080p Plasma
LG BD530 Blu-Ray Player
Yamaha RX-V377 Lossless True HD/DTS MA 5.1 Receiver
Yamaha Matched NS-SP1600 5.1 Speakers
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #216
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Colorado, USA
-

I finally got around to watching this (caught it on TV) and I am ordering the movie now! Since this bombed so bad, I had been avoiding it. Big mistake. LOVED IT!
Looking for a Twilight Zone Season 3 Blu Slip! Hook me up!!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #217

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseT View Post
I finally got around to watching this (caught it on TV) and I am ordering the movie now! Since this bombed so bad, I had been avoiding it. Big mistake. LOVED IT!
That's why it failed. Mass negative perception that occurred before, during and after the film was released. A pity.
Slips are for Dips.
Don't PM me for a Digital Code. You won't get it.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #218
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunemoon View Post
That's why it failed. Mass negative perception that occurred before, during and after the film was released. A pity.
Totally agree. This is one of my favorite movies the year it hit theaters. Sad that people who avoided it are now finding out how good it was.

I guess deep down I am hoping Disney will give in to the sequel...well I know it is unlikely but one can still hope...
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #219

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
Totally agree. This is one of my favorite movies the year it hit theaters. Sad that people who avoided it are now finding out how good it was.

I guess deep down I am hoping Disney will give in to the sequel...well I know it is unlikely but one can still hope...
I saw it opening day in IMAX 3D. Twas glorious!
Slips are for Dips.
Don't PM me for a Digital Code. You won't get it.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #220
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania

I watched this the other night. It was a blind buy for $10 from Wal Mart. It was much more enjoyable than I was led to believe. I would love to see sequels as well. I'm kind of shocked it bombed. Everything Taylor Kitsch touches. Tatum stole his career
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America