Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: They Live Finally on Blu-Ray.
Finally. 554 94.22%
Who Cares. 34 5.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #1021
Power Member

May 2011

For some reason in 720p they looked different, but in 1080p I gotta admit that they look identical.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #1022
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Is the Italian Blu-Ray just a better encoded version with a higher bit rate of the HD master broadcast? Because even though I haven't seen or own the Italian Blu-Ray, I do have the Umbrella Entertainment Australian release which is pretty much identical PQ wise to the Shout Factory U.S release, and the contrast/brightness of the Shout Factory/Umbrella Entertainment Blu-Rays is much much higher then the HD broadcast/Italian Blu-Ray. The Shout Factory/Umbrella Entertainment look the same in the same way the HD broadcast/Italian Blu-Ray look the same.

FYI I have the HD broadcast recorded and made back and forth comparisons between the HD broadcast itself and the Umbrella Entertainment Blu-Ray..
Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #1023

Dec 2009
Chicago, IL

I'm assuming this movie still comes with the slip?
Am I the baddest, mo-fo, low-down, around this town?......Sho'nuff!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #1024
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Is the Italian Blu-Ray just a better encoded version with a higher bit rate of the HD master broadcast? Because even though I haven't seen or own the Italian Blu-Ray, I do have the Umbrella Entertainment Australian release which is pretty much identical PQ wise to the Shout Factory U.S release, and the contrast/brightness of the Shout Factory/Umbrella Entertainment Blu-Rays is much much higher then the HD broadcast/Italian Blu-Ray. The Shout Factory/Umbrella Entertainment look the same in the same way the HD broadcast/Italian Blu-Ray look the same.

FYI I have the HD broadcast recorded and made back and forth comparisons between the HD broadcast itself and the Umbrella Entertainment Blu-Ray..
It's possible, (I haven't seen the HD broadcast). The Italian version has pretty much been slapped onto a disc, with no digital cleanup whatsoever. The source is pretty battered, but even with all its flaws and having purchased copies of SHOUT! and Umbrella's releases, the Italian is the only one I've kept.

It looks like film. Dirty, gritty film. The others don't, IMO. They look like video, as they've been filtered that much.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #1025
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-Nuff View Post
It's been out for a year so I wouldn't count on it.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #1026
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Spartanburg, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho-nuff View Post
i'm assuming this movie still comes with the slip?
50/50.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #1027
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
It's possible, (I haven't seen the HD broadcast). The Italian version has pretty much been slapped onto a disc, with no digital cleanup whatsoever. The source is pretty battered, but even with all its flaws and having purchased copies of SHOUT! and Umbrella's releases, the Italian is the only one I've kept.

It looks like film. Dirty, gritty film. The others don't, IMO. They look like video, as they've been filtered that much.
Yep it sounds like we have a match going from your observations of the Italian Blu-Ray and my observations of the HD broadcast version. The broadcast didn't look digitally sharpened or filtered in any shape, way or form, and the print had many more scratches, grit and other imperfections which popped up from time to time. I have to say though that the HD broadcast did look more natural in terms of colour and contrast then my Umbrella Blu-Ray which as you said has been deeply tinkered with, although even with the blown contrast and EE halos of the Umbrella Blu-Ray, its still more detailed, cleaner and has more stability then the HD broadcast.

However I must mention that in the HD broadcast version the opening 5 minutes of the movie where Roddy Piper's character is walking around the city are of slightly lower picture quality and almost seem to be pillow boxed with small black bars on the left and right. The majority of the film as soon as he enters the employment office retains the correct aspect ratio with much improved PQ, but those first 5 minutes surely don't. Does the opening 5 or so minutes of the Italian Blu-Ray have this problem?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #1028

Feb 2009
Green River

Those shots of the bank are really really close to each other. I hardly see a difference at all
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #1029
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Yep it sounds like we have a match going from your observations of the Italian Blu-Ray and my observations of the HD broadcast version. The broadcast didn't look digitally sharpened or filtered in any shape, way or form, and the print had many more scratches, grit and other imperfections which popped up from time to time. I have to say though that the HD broadcast did look more natural in terms of colour and contrast then my Umbrella Blu-Ray which as you said has been deeply tinkered with, although even with the blown contrast and EE halos of the Umbrella Blu-Ray, its still more detailed, cleaner and has more stability then the HD broadcast.

However I must mention that in the HD broadcast version the opening 5 minutes of the movie where Roddy Piper's character is walking around the city are of slightly lower picture quality and almost seem to be pillow boxed with small black bars on the left and right. The majority of the film as soon as he enters the employment office retains the correct aspect ratio with much improved PQ, but those first 5 minutes surely don't. Does the opening 5 or so minutes of the Italian Blu-Ray have this problem?
The Italian release does exactly that.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #1030

Oct 2011

So, the italian release sounds like the old UK DVD from Momentum Pictures.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #1031
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Confirmed it is then. The Italian Blu like I said is probably better due to the encoding and bit rate vs the HD broadcast, but clearly they are both exactly the same in many ways.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #1032

Aug 2012
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-Nuff View Post
I got mine this week from Amazon when the price dropped, it has a slip.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #1033
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
As does the 2003 Region-1 Universal DVD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-10 View Post
So, the italian release sounds like the old UK DVD from Momentum Pictures.
Yes it does...or at least like the same source was used. Interestingly, I found that the Universal DVD I have, actually shows a little bit more frame than the Italian Blu...and while I can't make a substantial claim to it, from what I'm seeing on my screen, the colors of the DVD look a little better than those of the IT Blu as well, but not at all as overcooked as they do on the Shout! disc...obviously, the DVD can't match the HD resolution, but I'm quite happy with how it looks on my 51", and am glad I got rid of the Blu...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America