Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces (Blu-ray)
$49.36
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.69
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The BFG (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Pan's Labyrinth (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Banshee: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$25.21
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-18-2016, 04:19 AM   #1701
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
It isn't listed on Movie-Censorship. Can you provide details? My first time seeing the film at all was the Blu-ray.
I am not sure. However, it is showing 80 minutes on the JP disc when the DVD is 87 minutes.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #1702
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I am not sure. However, it is showing 80 minutes on the JP disc when the DVD is 87 minutes.
Oops. Didn't realize you were referring to the older film. Rookie mistake.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #1703

Jun 2014
Finland

Here`s what dvdcompare says:
The cut version was released on VHS video tape in the U.S. with a running time 79:45. It is missing several scenes including the scene between Kenneth Tobey and Margaret Sheridan where Hendry "allows" Nikki to tie his hands behind his back. When she tries to give him a drink he slips free, grabs her and kisses her.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4131
Old 05-19-2016, 03:11 AM   #1704
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

No bloody video games or comics are canon. All that matters is the movies, and the ambiguity of the ending is the whole damn point.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 AM   #1705
Power Member

Sep 2011
USA

Any hint of this in 4k?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #1706

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbymonkeys View Post
Any hint of this in 4k?
No but someone on here said they saw of 4k DCP of They Live at the cinema recently. I'd imagine most of Carpenter's films will follow Halloween with a 4k remaster at some point...
Old 05-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #1707

Jun 2010
Westbury, NY

The Thing 1951 was cut for re-issue. Here are the details as compiled by Robin Brunet and posted by Glenn Erickson on DVDTalk:
The first restored scene is Captain Hendry's briefing at General Fogarty's headquarters. The restored part is less than a minute long. It includes a messenger who enters with a weather report, and Fogerty's pithy remark that, for all he cares, Hendry can "maroon" newspaperman Scott at the North Pole.

The second, third and fourth restored scenes were the biggest cuts to The Thing when it was released in '53, and represent a major shift in the tone and narrative of the movie. The second restored scene runs several minutes and consists of Hendry enjoying a shave in the barracks. Ned Scott voices growing frustration over his inability to transmit his story to the outside world and there's more banter between Hendry and his-co-pilot.

The third restored scene occurs immediately after the barracks sequence and involves dialogue between Hendry and Nicki in the mess room (Nicki: "What does that bogey man in the cake of ice really mean?"). The scene culminates in Nicki inviting Hendry to her office and he promising that she can tie his hands together for decorum's sake.

The fourth restored scene is the longest: it is the pivotal 'drinking scene' between Nicki and Hendry in her office. It is a typically Hawksian touch reminiscent of his finest films and adds a romantic undertone to the film that the truncated version only hinted at.

Without these three scenes, The Thing was essentially an action film, jumping from the point where the block of ice is stored away directly to the moment when the electric blanket is thrown over it. Film historians such as Leonard Maltin have long warned fans to avoid the edited version of The Thing, but up until the DVD release there has been little if any opportunity to view the film in its entirety.

To confuse matters further, some historians have argued that edits to The Thing were an urban myth. This is because the film was long said to have included a scene during its initial run in which the creature's victims were shown hanging upside down in the greenhouse. In fact, that scene was never shot. Since journalists over the years mistakenly claimed this scene was 'edited out' for the re-release, historians have countered that no such cuts were made for the re-release - oblivious to the fact that major chunks of the narrative were dropped for the sake of trimming the film's already lean running time.

Warners has also restored some minor 'lost' shots, including a location shot of Hendry's crew and dogsleds climbing across a ridge towards the buried saucer; and a half-minute of dialogue restored to the scene in which the scientists gather around an exhausted Dr. Carrington (who mentions his 'minor' skirmish between himself and Hendry).

Hope this is of interest to your readers - Robin Brunet
Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #1708
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpeden2000 View Post
No but someone on here said they saw of 4k DCP of They Live at the cinema recently. I'd imagine most of Carpenter's films will follow Halloween with a 4k remaster at some point...
That was me. My local Alamo Drafthouse showed They Live in 4K.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #1709
Special Member

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABaglivi View Post
The Thing 1951 was cut for re-issue. Here are the details as compiled by Robin Brunet and posted by Glenn Erickson on DVDTalk:

To confuse matters further, some historians have argued that edits to The Thing were an urban myth. This is because the film was long said to have included a scene during its initial run in which the creature's victims were shown hanging upside down in the greenhouse. In fact, that scene was never shot. Since journalists over the years mistakenly claimed this scene was 'edited out' for the re-release, historians have countered that no such cuts were made for the re-release - oblivious to the fact that major chunks of the narrative were dropped for the sake of trimming the film's already lean running time.

Hope this is of interest to your readers - Robin Brunet
Both my older brothers long spoke of seeing that scene on local TV when I was little. I never saw it of course and remember seeing this film on TV from the age of 5 in the NYC area. Yet, (now one has since died) both always spoke of this scene.
Truthfully, I think it's just excellent movie making, like writing, where the visual image is inserted by the view by strong description, or in this case dialog. Like people who to this day that they saw Rosemary's "baby". I even met someone that swore the original PSYCHO was in color stating "all that bright red blood on the tile".
Samsung 65" UHD JS9500
Marantz SR7009,
Oppo BDP-103
7.3.4 Atmos System - Orb Audio Speakers
ADX Maximus Tactile Bass Shaker (2)
Axiom Subwoofer EP600 & EARTHQUAKE MINI ME P8 Subwoofer (2)
X-Box One, WiiU
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #1710

May 2015

Scream Factory just announced a 2 disc collector's edition for September release.

*fingers crossed*
My Wishlist: The Return of Swamp Thing, Psycho IV, Fright Night II, Paradise, Multiplicity
Old 06-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #1711
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskwerl View Post
Scream Factory just announced a 2 disc collector's edition for September release.

*fingers crossed*
Yeah. Saw that news article.
We'll keep this thread going and updated as we learn about it
Thanks given by:
tskwerl (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:34 AM   #1712
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Here's a dedicated thread for Scream Factory release http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=278213
Thanks given by:
eiknarf (06-01-2016), tskwerl (06-01-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America