Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Sandlot (Blu-ray)
$7.21
Inception 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.49
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lords of Dogtown (Blu-ray)
$8.11
The Dark Crystal (Blu-ray)
$14.12
Hammer Films Double Feature: Never Take Candy from a Stranger/Scream of Fear (Blu-ray)
$8.11
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Hammer Films Double Feature: Maniac/Die! Die! My Darling! (Blu-ray)
$8.11
Justice League (Blu-ray)
$24.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi
Default Help. Audio Problems, Audio dropping out.

Been having my bluray player, surround sound system for a bit now and never a problem till now.

Ok, I rented the bluray 'THE IMPOSSIBLE' and while watching it, suddenly, the audio just cut out, then back on. It did this several times then quit. Then, about every 20 minutes or so, it did it again, for several times. Each drop off lasting from 2-5 seconds.

I figured it was a defected disk from RedBox. Ended up LOVING the movie so i went out and bought it. Invited some friends over and guess what? SAME THING and right in the same spots.

Then I wondered if it was a bad batch of disks, but no one else has complained anywhere. I've watched several other movies since then, no problems....UNTIL....

I just tried to watch Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier and it started doing it again.

So, I don't know if this is my bluray player or my surround receiver and I don't know how to check. Can anyone suggest what I should do?

My bluray player is SONY Blu-ray Disc / DVD Player

http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyS...set-287426.pdf

and my surround receiver is RCA - RT2911

http://www.meijer.com/s/rca-rt2911-1...rg&kpid=RT2911
Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #2

Sep 2008

I'm having the same problem with The Last Stand from the same company as The Impossible (Lionsgate/Summit) I have a Panasonic bluray player bitstreamed to a Yamaha receiver oved HDMI. Something tells me its a pressing problem at a factory somewhere.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Try a firmware update on the player.

Do you have it set to bitstream or PCM? Which ever you have it set to, try the other.
-Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RS8's, RSLCR, RSFX, Dual Epik Empires
-Powered by: Dual XPA-5's & MMC-1
-TV: Samsung 52" A750
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
-Cables: Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, DIY Cat5, Belden, DNM
Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz View Post
Try a firmware update on the player.

Do you have it set to bitstream or PCM? Which ever you have it set to, try the other.
I looked for a firmware update, but there wasn't one available.

I'll look and change the bitstream/PCM setting and see if that helps. (even though I have no idea what that is, LOL) Thanks for the suggestion. I'll report if it helped or not.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

OK, I just checked and it's set on Bitstream because the Surround receiver has a built-in Dolby Digital. The manual tells me to use this setting when connecting to an audio device with Dolby Digital.

But I'll recheck that firmware for updates again.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
OK, I just checked and it's set on Bitstream because the Surround receiver has a built-in Dolby Digital. The manual tells me to use this setting when connecting to an audio device with Dolby Digital.

But I'll recheck that firmware for updates again.
If you have PCM as an option, you may still want to try it. If the receiver is the issue, this may remedy it. Even though the manual says to use bitstream, PCM should work if it is an option.
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz View Post
If you have PCM as an option, you may still want to try it. If the receiver is the issue, this may remedy it. Even though the manual says to use bitstream, PCM should work if it is an option.
Thank you, I will go ahead and try it then. I will report back.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

sad to say, that didn't help.

Let me ask ONE more question.

I recently noticed that some of my blurays are just a tad behind in synch. The audio is not lined up with the picture. Audio is just a tad ahead of the picture.

Is there a setting to help change THIS?

I noticed this BIG time in Fiddler on the Roof and now I just noticed it in Grease.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Quote:

Let me ask ONE more question.

I recently noticed that some of my blurays are just a tad behind in synch. The audio is not lined up with the picture. Audio is just a tad ahead of the picture.

Is there a setting to help change THIS?

I noticed this BIG time in Fiddler on the Roof and now I just noticed it in Grease.
Typically it is called lipsync or delay and should be a setting in your AVR.

Last edited by jlafrenz; 05-27-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
How are you connected? HDMI? Are you saying you get the same dropouts with both the bitstream and PCM settings?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
How are you connected? HDMI? Are you saying you get the same dropouts with both the bitstream and PCM settings?
Yes, HDMI and yes to continual drop-outs in same exact spots.

I played the same disk on my daughters bluray player and it doesn't drop out, so I know it has to be my system. However, I kinda wonder if it could me my surround system, but I doubt it is.

I think I'll just take my player back and get anther brand.
Also, I can't find any setting for lipsync or delay. Pardon my ignorance, but what is my AVR?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

OH YEAH....I JUST found my setting for audio sync. I was expecting it to be in teh audio settings, but it was under another group of settings called options. (whew) 1 problem down, one to go. LOL.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Try swapping players with your daughter. If the disc plays fine using her player with your receiver, you'll know the problem is with your player. If it has the same problem, then it's likely your receiver.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Try swapping players with your daughter. If the disc plays fine using her player with your receiver, you'll know the problem is with your player. If it has the same problem, then it's likely your receiver.
I might be perceived as a bit dim if I confessed to not thinking of that before. I am a rather intelligent person......

....but I confess......I have not thought of that before.

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Sure thing.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #16

Feb 2009
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Been having my bluray player, surround sound system for a bit now and never a problem till now.

Ok, I rented the bluray 'THE IMPOSSIBLE' and while watching it, suddenly, the audio just cut out, then back on. It did this several times then quit. Then, about every 20 minutes or so, it did it again, for several times. Each drop off lasting from 2-5 seconds.

I figured it was a defected disk from RedBox. Ended up LOVING the movie so i went out and bought it. Invited some friends over and guess what? SAME THING and right in the same spots.

Then I wondered if it was a bad batch of disks, but no one else has complained anywhere. I've watched several other movies since then, no problems....UNTIL....

I just tried to watch Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier and it started doing it again.

So, I don't know if this is my bluray player or my surround receiver and I don't know how to check. Can anyone suggest what I should do?

My bluray player is SONY Blu-ray Disc / DVD Player

http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyS...set-287426.pdf

and my surround receiver is RCA - RT2911

http://www.meijer.com/s/rca-rt2911-1...rg&kpid=RT2911
I've had the same problem with Star Trek V, during the prison assault scene when the rock firing machine gun starts up. Essentially, it's too loud! Your receiver can't provide the required power to properly play the passage at its current volume without clipping. Try turning it down and playing the same passages. If it makes it all the way though, there's your problem. Besides turning the volume down, you could also turn on DRC.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000
AVR: Sony STR-DG1200
BDP: Sony BDP-S350
DVR: Tivo Premiere
Gaming: Xbox360 (Falcon), Wii
Sound Stage: Three(3) Paradigm Reference Millenia 20
Surrounds: Two(2) Sony SA-VE??? Sats
Real-Sub: One(1) Hsu VTF-2 MK3
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy_2002 View Post
I've had the same problem with Star Trek V, during the prison assault scene when the rock firing machine gun starts up. Essentially, it's too loud! Your receiver can't provide the required power to properly play the passage at its current volume without clipping. Try turning it down and playing the same passages. If it makes it all the way though, there's your problem. Besides turning the volume down, you could also turn on DRC.
The only common thing each place the sound drops is when there is hardly ANY sound being heard at all. Like when no one is talking and the noise is very quiet.
The characters will start talking and the sound will pop back on in mid sentence, or after a sentence or two. It isn't happening during loud scenes.

What is the DRC? I can look into that one and check.

EDIT: OOOO, Dynamic Range Compression. I wonder if mine is on and needs to be turned OFF? When I get home, I will check into this. Thank you for the lead on this one.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

DRC shouldn't have anything to do with this issue. DRC boosts the volume of the quietest parts and lowers the volume of the loudest parts. It can only be applied to Dolby sources and you've already said this problem occurs with PCM as well.

Of course, it never hurts to change various settings. But, it's unlikely this will be a fix.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

OMG, I have FINALLY figured it out. It's NOT my bluray player, it's a certain setting on my surround system, all I have to do is switch it from Dolby to Stereo. It's still in surround sound, but that stopped the sound from dropping out.

Strange. Does this sound normal, or more like a defect?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Stereo is not surround. It's just 2 channels.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion