Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Logan (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Blu-ray)
$13.75
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Mountain Between Us (Blu-ray)
$13.75
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$12.99
American Assassin (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Emoji Movie (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Virgin Suicides (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Default Please help.. low volume on blu ray player-soundbar

I've researched this everywhere and cannot find an answer but there's got to be a solution.

I have a 65" SUHD Samsung 4k TV. It's got the dangly input box where everything gets connected to it... cable box, blu ray players, etc.

Recently I bought a SONY soundbar for my system. Costco model # HT CT790.

The sound is rich and pleasing but............

The volume is 2 times louder on the cable box versus my blu ray players. The volume goes to 50 on this soundbar and at 20-25 the TV volume is ultra loud... not the case on both of my blu ray players. I can MAX the volume at 50 and still there are times I would like it to be louder.

I am using the ARC connector on the input box from the soundbar. I am using a single HDMI connector as well as an optical cord (I have experimented both with the HDMI only as well as the optical only).

I have switched to every combination I can think of from PCM to DDS to DTS, etc... as well as switching HDMI cables. Nothing changed the lack of volume from the blu ray players...

It doesn't make any sense to me since everything is connected from one source (TV) to Soundbar... why would the TV have such higher volume???

Desperate for any input!!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Does the cable box have a separate volume that's maxed out? Does it clip at the top end?

Just use the HDMI ARC connection, you don't need the optical as well. You can check your TV's sound options to make sure the TV doesn't have separate volume control for different outputs (or it thinks it's outputting to headphones). But you might just have to turn down the cable box to match the players to normalize the volume.

I'll have a look at the manuals to see if there's anything else ... what model is your TV?

Try Home > System Settings > HDMI Settings > HDMI Signal Format > Standard Format/Enhanced Format
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS

Last edited by chip75; 12-27-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

SAMSUNG UN65KS800 (Costco model)

doesn't appear to be any separate volume control to the cable box...
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post

You can try:

Quote:
Home > Settings > Sound > Select Speaker
then try just selecting external speaker.

Unfortunately Samsung's on-line manuals are pretty much useless as they're so basic.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 12-28-2017, 05:14 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Soundbars (in general) are limited in sound quality overall, and a wireless audio system doesn't sound near as good as the wired counterpart. I've tried wireless headphones, and I didn't like them at all so I returned them because, they sounded distant and very weak, compared to the wired, so this may be the case with the issue that you're having with the volume, due to the fact that it being a wireless system... If you prefer a soundbar, I would return and exchange it for a wired sounbar, and I'll guarantee you it will sound much better.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-28-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:10 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

just thought I'd bump this to see if anyone else has any ideas or input?

Can a cable box put out a dramatically stronger audio signal than a blu ray player?

I just can't grasp how it literally has double the volume than not one, but 2 blu ray players
Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2017

Straight stereo can be louder,I mean if I have my receiver on and watching a show in DD,once the advert comes on the volume will go up.
Sapphire 106" screen,BenQ W1070 3D projector.
Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 Samsung PS64E8000
Denon X3300W,PS3 & Sky 1TB.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Can a cable box put out a dramatically stronger audio signal than a blu ray player?
Quote:

What model is your cable box? Does your cable box have a volume control (that's what I meant with my initial question)? If it does you should set it halfway to balance out the inputs to your sound bar.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

well, I appear to have made some progress...

I got rid of the HDMI AARC connection entirely and simply hooked up a single Optical cable from the TV to the soundbar... that's it.

I also moved the "volume" button on the soundbar to a plus 1.....

Suddenly the bass is much louder and the volume has increased from what it was. Interestingly enough the cable box now seems to balance closer to the blu ray players now as well...

I only checked out 2 4k discs so far-- Baby Driver and Kong--Skull Island. My only disappointment is with Baby Driver which for some crazy reason seems to still have lower volume.... that's impossible right?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
What model is your cable box? Does your cable box have a volume control (that's what I meant with my initial question)? If it does you should set it halfway to balance out the inputs to your sound bar.
I'm not at home to check on the cable box brand but I did go into the settings and switched the volume output to stereo from Dolby Digital.... it seemed to have a positive result based on my post above.....
Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

so, if anyone is interested I thought I'd give an update. Sound is now somewhat even between everything from cable to blu ray player. I can get good volume even at the 25 to 30 mark on the soundbar which is great.

The one piece that's still coming up short is the 4k player and after testing that out I've determined that it's on 4k discs only, not with regular blu rays on the same player.

On 4k I have the volume at 40 and can go to MAX level of 50 without it being too loud.

My conclusion is that 4k discs have ATMOS audio and most do not even give you the option of choosing "regular" DTS or DDS 5.1. For some reason this audio format is not translating the same way as other audio options to a soundbar...

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? I'm a little disappointed in this revelation but also somewhat happy that I'm at least figuring everything out... and I can live with slightly lower volume on 4k by appreciating the superior picture.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion