Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Blu-ray)
$4.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Miracle (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Young Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$4.99
18 hrs ago
Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$85.62

West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Sartana Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.09

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Early Man (Blu-ray)
$17.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
Default First Men in the Moon (1964) (Limited Edition) - SOLD OUT

PRE-ORDER http://www3.screenarchives.com/title...PER-CUSTOMER!/

Release date: March 10, 2015

Quote:
Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Randall William Cook Introduces "First Men in the Moon" / Audio Commentary with Ray Harryhausen and Randall William Cook / Original Theatrical Trailer
[Show spoiler]TT has just stated over at HTF that FMitM is tentatively set for March 2015.

Last edited by Scottie; 02-28-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (09-11-2014), dsman71 (09-11-2014), Mrlovkim (12-16-2014), Page14 (09-11-2014), Supernaut (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010

Hot Damn! Finally!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Probably my least favorite Harryhausen movie, but I'll still preorder it day one!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Looks like another $30 blind-buy for me.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:12 AM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2011

Excellent news. It should look pretty good on BD if the HD broadcast that's been making the rounds for the past couple years is any indication. Really looking forward to getting the complete original score on an isolated audio track. Best non-Bernard Herrmann score of any Harryhausen film.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

Can't wait! One of my all-time favorite Harryhausen films and interpretations of H.G. Wells novels! I saw this back when I was about 10 at a kiddie matinee for some friend's birthday party at a packed theatre. All the little girls screamed when the Selenites were first shown, and then the boys laughed at the girls screaming!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

I've always loved how this film spends a lot of time on the characters before any science-fiction stuff really kicks into gear. Same with Mysterious Island. It really grounds the film in a reality that is missing from most fantasy films today.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

Sep 2011

Dammit looks like Twilight Time is going to get another $ 35 bucks from me.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Banned

Sep 2010

I didn't know about this film.
The trailer looks great, I may have to buy it too!
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwall View Post
Dammit looks like Twilight Time is going to get another $ 35 bucks from me.
Yep, same here. Love mid 60s sci-fi.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Release date: March 10
Old 12-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

That poster is so awesome. Might have to blind buy this eon as I do enjoy these types of movies.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #13

Mar 2012
Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
Excellent news. It should look pretty good on BD if the HD broadcast that's been making the rounds for the past couple years is any indication. Really looking forward to getting the complete original score on an isolated audio track. Best non-Bernard Herrmann score of any Harryhausen film.
The story goes that Laurie Johnson was an assistant to Herrmann for some time. Johnson wrote the score in the spirit of Herrmann and dedicated it to him.

It's a very fine score and I hope TT does a 5.1 remix.

BTW, I recall reading somewhere that this film was shown in a Cinerama theater in England during its initial release. That must have looked spectacular!

I hope the Gatis heavily homaged remake is included as an extra. Wishful thinking but it's not available otherwise in the US. Gosh darn it!

Ok TT. You've got another sale.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
Banned

Mar 2013

Bought the cd soundtrack for this a long time ago . One of my faves.
For anyone unfamiliar with the movie I believe its the only anamorphic Harryhausen picture so its 2.35:1 image is wider than any of his other movies.

If you've not seen it before don't be let down by the long drawn out story that takes place on earth for about 40 minutes that lead me to walk out of the cinema when I was 5.
Discovered it again 10 years later and loved it ever since.
The dvd was a 4 channel DD track so hopefully TT will improve on that.

Lionel Jeffries performance may be too OTT and comical for some but I think it grows on you.
The combo of the 2.35:1 spectacle , the very earthbound first half hour and Laurie Johnsons lovely music put this alongside Jason and the Argonauts in my personal Harryhausen list.

Anybody expecting a continuous raft of stop motion creatures should be prepared to be disappointed.

Can't wait for this
Thanks given by:
Widescreenfilmguy (02-09-2015)
Old 12-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Banned

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
You sold me on wanting to at least watch it
It could rank as possibly my favourite all time movie (alongside The Amazing Mr Blunden) but I think its the path I followed in trying to see it at its best that's part of the fascination for me.

Once I had VHS in the 80's I recorded it from ITV .
The loss of half the picture by having it in 4:3 didn't really register that far back but the 10-15 minutes of edits did. I watched it a few times but the cuts grated.

A couple of years later I re-recorded it on a saturday morning . Had to edit ads out but it was at least uncut.

No real improvement with the Columbia VHS release but as soon as I got into Laserdisc it was one of the first I tracked down.

So I was equally excited when it appeared on dvd and the surround track was great .
That seems like a long time ago.
C4 have shown it a couple of times but not in HD . By the time I had bought a Bluray recorder with this specific film in mind the film was confined to a subscription channel where you can't record the HD to disc -Film4 HD continues to air it in HD .

So I was over the moon when TT announced it .

As a newcomer you might want to treat it like 2 separate mini movies.
Its a comical kids movie with characters and performances to match while the action takes place on earth but once that sphere shoots off into space we change gear.

The landscapes of the moon are so obviously fake but that's part of the charm for me . The back projection /matte shots are also poor in some places but it really doesn't matter.

If there's one word for this movie its FUN.

Last edited by phelings; 12-06-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Thanks given by:
BrianS (02-26-2015)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #16

Mar 2012
Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
The combo of the 2.35:1 spectacle , the very earthbound first half hour and Laurie Johnsons lovely music put this alongside Jason and the Argonauts in my personal Harryhausen list.

Anybody expecting a continuous raft of stop motion creatures should be prepared to be disappointed.

Can't wait for this
Although Harryhausen's stop-motion is not in abundance, his genius for visual effects is front and center. The Cavorite sphere bursting through the greenhouse marks the beginning of non-stop wondrous sights, some animated, most not, but all contributing to a marvelous film that's more than the sum of its parts. The film was made on a relatively modest budget but all departments made this film appear bigger.

Cinefantastique's look back at and review of this Harryhausen classic is worth the read --
http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/201...ersary-review/

Here's another article detailing some of the production history and hurdles --
http://widescreenmovies.org/Articles/FirstMen/index.htm

And a well balanced review by DVD Savant --
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s444moon.html

This film is way overdue and I'm really looking forward to seeing it restored and on Blu-ray.

Last edited by f451; 12-08-2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added links.
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (12-07-2014), Interdimensional (02-23-2015), Page14 (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f451 View Post
Although Harryhausen's stop-motion is not in abundance, his genius for visual effects is front and center. The Cavorite sphere bursting through the greenhouse marks the beginning of non-stop wondrous sights, some animated, most not, but all contributing to a marvelous film that's more than the sum of its parts. The film was made on a relatively modest budget but all departments made this film appear bigger.

Cinefantastique's look back at and review of this Harryhausen classic is worth the read --
http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/201...ersary-review/

This film is way overdue and I'm really looking forward to seeing it restored and on Blu-ray.
That's a nice review, and it makes me interested to rewatch it. I think I've only seen this movie once. I remembered not being impressed, but the lack of stop motion was probably a big part of that.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
Banned

Mar 2013

I always place this film alongside the original Journey to the Centre of the Earth because both offer real studio action most of the time with real props.
Todays remakes in CGI may look polished but I wouldn't say they are any more realistic.

I've avoided the BBC reboot of First Men on purpose because I like the original so much.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

Brilliant.
Time to sell my DVD copy.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
The middle of nowhere, USA

Saw this posted on Facebook. The credit goes to "Sci Fi Bob Ekman".

Here is a very rare Columbia Pictures featurette on First Men In The Moon. See rare behind the scenes including a few with Special effects wizard, Ray Harryhausen!

http://vimeo.com/19818978
So many blurays, so little time.

First blu-ray purchase - "Jason and the Argonauts" on July 6, 2010.
Thanks given by:
dsman71 (02-08-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America