Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max: High Octane Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Lifeboat (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Sully (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Woman of the Year (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Underworld: Blood Wars 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Magnificent Seven 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Pulse (Blu-ray)
$5.79
Beauty and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Trolls (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hacksaw Ridge (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (if you have actually seen it)
One Star 77 7.79%
Two Stars 156 15.77%
Three Stars 261 26.39%
Four Stars 339 34.28%
Five Stars 156 15.77%
Voters: 989. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #27641
Special Member

Jan 2014
Lipari, Aeolian Islands, Italy
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Batman v Superman: The Fundamental Flaw - YouTube

This video is pretty much it for me.
I'll never understand this backlash against stylization in movies that aren't made for the privileged few who vote at festivals.

We are getting back to the aristotelic units as dogmas instead of guidelines, and I think it's a bad thing.

Last edited by Det. Bullock; 07-28-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Thanks given by:
Arawn (07-28-2016), UltraMario9 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 AM   #27642
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
The O.C.

Yea that video sums it up pretty well.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:42 AM   #27643

Jul 2012

I watched the UC the week this came out and just revisited the TC (since I never saw it in 3D in theaters, I wanted to watch that version at home). I gotta say, while the UC is definitely a superior version of the movie, it's not a night and day difference, and the TC never deserved the bashing it received. It's still an entirely watchable and thrilling experience.

The things that were sorely missed from the UC, IMO, were
[Show spoiler]Superman saving people after the capitol explosion and Clark receiving the invite to Lex's party. They drastically altered the way I saw those respective moments play out. The latter, for example, makes it much clearer that Lex knew who Clark was, which extends to make it clearthat he knew Bruce's identity as well. Honorable mention would be Lex's extended scene with the senator in his dad's study, but it wasn't essential
. Apart from that, the TC functions just fine on its own, though I admit that a second viewing helped me adjust to the narrative style with all of the visions and dream sequences.

Also, if anybody can confirm off-hand, was the editing difderent for the Jolly Rancher scene? I think it occurred uninterrupted in the UC but was intercut with shots of Lex in the research park in the TC. If so, I would cite that as an example where I actually preferred the editing of the theatricl cut.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:11 AM   #27644
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015

I haven't seen the TC since it was in theaters but I think it's the same in both versions. The intercutting is how the scene is structured.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #27645
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
I haven't seen the TC since it was in theaters but I think it's the same in both versions. The intercutting is how the scene is structured.
No its different. In the TC there is a scene (or 2) inserted between his chat in the library with Holly Hunter and the guy and his chat with the guy in the hallway.

In the UC the 2 scenes (the library and the hallway) directly follow on from each other.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #27646
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

It's one scene in the Ultimate Edition but two in the theatrical cut, if I remember correctly. It ended with Lex doing his Blanche DuBois impression ("You don't have to depend upon the kindness of monsters"), cut to another scene entirely, and then returned to the bit where Lex tells the guy his wish list before proceeding to feed him tasty treats.
"What are the pectorals? My friends all laugh at me. They say mine are funny."
"I assure you you have... nothing to worry about."

BLADE RUNNER COLLECTION
Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 AM   #27647
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
It's one scene in the Ultimate Edition but two in the theatrical cut, if I remember correctly. It ended with Lex doing his Blanche DuBois impression ("You don't have to depend upon the kindness of monsters"), cut to another scene entirely, and then returned to the bit where Lex tells the guy his wish list before proceeding to feed him tasty treats.
Yes that is correct. Though neither of us can remember who 'the guys' character is obviously
Old 07-28-2016, 01:28 AM   #27648
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Yes that is correct. Though neither of us can remember who 'the guys' character is obviously
Mr. Not-From-Kentucky Senate Man.
"What are the pectorals? My friends all laugh at me. They say mine are funny."
"I assure you you have... nothing to worry about."

BLADE RUNNER COLLECTION
Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #27649
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Mr. Not-From-Kentucky Senate Man.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:04 AM   #27650
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Batman v Superman: The Fundamental Flaw - YouTube

This video is pretty much it for me.
It's a good analysis, and I appreciate a negative review actually backing up their conclusions with an actual argument, which is in short supply in film criticism these days.

Of course, I disagree with it, especially in regards to the Ultimate Cut, which resolves some of the issues he brings up (notably the time devoted to Clark/Superman in the story). I don't believe even the Ultimate Cut is a flawless film, but I do believe it is often a great film that will not appeal to a large contingent of the people who watch it.

Other things he highlights are not matters of problems with the text, but rather matters of taste on how to approach narrative storytelling. This is related to this (very long) article, which basically talks about how Snyder prefers Romanticism rather than Naturalism. Romanticism is based in moments, or the pushing of characters to extremes to define their morality.

Romanticism is very much out of vogue, unappreciated, and not even recognized when it's there by most film analysts/critics these days. It's not the only reason certain people seem to hate Snyder simply on principle, but it's definitely part of it.

One pet peeve with his video: why is it that the "heroes" destroy the island? I'm getting extremely tired of film critics ignoring the role of villains in the destruction we see.

http://themidside.com/real-or-ideal-...oice-of-steel/
Thanks given by:
carpanafilms (08-03-2016), Foggy (07-28-2016), kopkiwi (08-03-2016), UltraMario9 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #27651

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
His name is Senator Barrows.

He's based on the Senator Barrows of Action Comics #1. Although, in that comic he has crooked dealings with a different villain and not Lex Luthor (who didn't exist yet).
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #27652
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Portland, OR

Does anyone have that picture where on one side was a screenshot of Flash appearing from the future to warn Bruce and on the other side was someone's hilarious yet fairly accurate drawing of Ezra?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #27653
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

BvS is my favorite film this year, but that video does make some good points. But you could say the same for Only God Forgives, and I love that movie too. Also, he lost me by using the Avengers AoU ranch scene as reference. I hate that scene.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #27654
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Movies are subjective. Ones man trash is another's treasure and all that jazz.

Take Transformers etc. as guilty popcorn pleasures people love to watch but critically are flawed to heck. BvS Imo does try to deliver a balance and unfortunately for it, that didn't balance the line of expectations enough and we got the backlash we saw. That said, most are more forgiving it seems on the UC overall and that was the Snyder version and I love it. Has its flaws, but highly entertaining to me.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #27655

Mar 2012

In the scene where Clark is walking up the steps of the ferry to look at the city, there are two guys kissing in the background. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder why they did it.

Last edited by GDHickey; 07-28-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #27656

Jan 2013

I saw that mentioned somewhere online before I actually watched the Ultimate Edition, but failed to even notice it when I saw a screening in theaters. Now that I have the Blu-ray, I see the two people in question, but the shorter one looks like a woman to my eyes. She's just bundled up.
Thanks given by:
GDHickey (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #27657

Mar 2012

That may be the case,but the shorter person looks like they are wearing a stocking cap, and a Carhart jacket, the uniform of a working man ....lol.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:44 AM   #27658
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Just watched the theatrical cut again. Loved the hell out of it. Ultimate Edition tomorrow!
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (08-03-2016), mredman (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #27659
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

I only realised on my 3rd viewing a few days ago that the red "missile" that causes the Metropolis branch of Wayne Enterprises to collapse (when Jack is seen saying the Lord's Prayer) is actually Superman being thrown into the building by Zod. I thought it was a projectile from the surrounding buildings that were collapsing, or an alien thingy randomly exploding, lol. No wonder Bruce is so peed off. Gosh, I'm slow.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:13 AM   #27660
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

It's clearly Supes, you banana! Though I did see it in IMAX first of all so that may have helped me recognise him.

I do like this film a hell of a lot and even if there wasn't an extended edition I'd be perfectly happy with the theatrical cut, as I'm one of the wierdos who had no trouble piecing the story together from the breadcrumbs that were left out. I get the feeling that the UE will be more like the entire loaf rather than the crumbs, but sometimes I don't like eating too much bread. Very excited to see the UE finally, anyway.
Thanks given by:
captveg (08-03-2016), carpanafilms (08-03-2016), dgoswald (08-03-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
dark knight, man of steel