Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Pocketful of Miracles ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$5.96
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.01
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Default Super Mario Bros. 3

Is this the best Mario game ever?

I dont think Super Mario 64 stands the test of time very well. After playing it again on the DS Super Mario 64 just seemed dated. All 3D Marios just dont have the feel the 2-D Marios had. I think part of it is the 3-D Marios ventured far away from the Mushroom Kingdom and that made them lose the feel.

Super Mario World is great but I dont think its paced as well as Super Mario Bros. 3. World may have more challenging puzzles etc but I prefer 3's sleek simplicity
4K > 1080p
Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post

I dont think Super Mario 64 stands the test of time very well. After playing it again on the DS Super Mario 64 just seemed dated. All 3D Marios just dont have the feel the 2-D Marios had. I think part of it is the 3-D Marios ventured far away from the Mushroom Kingdom and that made them lose the feel.

Super Mario World is great but I dont think its paced as well as Super Mario Bros. 3. World may have more challenging puzzles etc but I prefer 3's sleek simplicity
As far as replay and fun factor goes, I gotta say, it probably is. I can sit there and play SMB3 for hours. They did do a fantastic job on Super Mario Bros. Wii though.
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player:Sony BDP-S590 / Sony BDP-S6500(Region Free)
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360 / PS4

King of Heavy Metal
Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Banned

May 2010
Send a message via AIM to Ite

Quote:

I would say Super Mario 3, Super Mario 1, or Super Mario 64.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

I remember coveting "Super Mario World" a lot as a kid; that one might be my favorite.

But I definitely spent more time on "SM3." I used to spend my Saturday mornings playing it through and beating it within three hours or so. After a few weekends, I beat it many times and uncovered a lot of secrets.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Super Mario World is the best Mario game of all time. Super Mario 3 is up there though and great itself. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is pushing right at the top also. Here are my Mario adventure game rankings:

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Super Mario Bros. 2
6. New Super Mario Bros. (Wii)
7. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
8. Super Mario 64
9. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
10. Super Mario Bros.
11. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
12. Super Mario Sunshine

Got Em!!
If My Auntie Had Nuts, She Would Be My Uncle!"

Last edited by CZAR; 08-02-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2010

To me, SMB3 is the best Mario game. [PERIOD] :-D Mario World was really fun indeed but doesn't top SMB3. Could be the from the nastalgic flickering on screen (NES) version to the never ending ways to play this game. Don't get me wrong. Mario World is awesome too but I think that Mario World to me felt like an upgrade of SMB3. No offense to anybody who disagrees. Besides, aren't there like a million + 1 Rom hacks for SMW that offer different changes to SMW? Kaizo MW being a really fun one :-D

SMB3 all the way :-D
Slipcovers Needed: Polar Express 3D, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, BS Dracula, Crank, POTC Trilogy Box, & Bad Boys
For Trade: Narnia: Prince Caspian 3-Disc & Near Mint Underworld Trilogy Slipbox
Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

I remember playing Super Mario Land with the first monochrome gameboy for insanely many hours..Loved that game.

I guess i must really suck at mario because i never really finished that one...SMB3 neither.
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Receiver/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B

Last edited by spaceape; 08-02-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
I remember playing Super Mario Land with the first monochrome gameboy for insanely many hours..Loved that game.

‪Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)‬‏ - YouTube

I guess i must really suck at mario because i never really finished that one...SMB3 neither.
Super Mario Land was a good one!

------

I never really understood how SMB3 has always kind of been the "runaway" or "obvious" best of the series. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I just don't see it as the best — at least in terms of unequivocally the best and without any question. I actually have a game save of that one in progress right now on my Wii. It is a great game and I love playing it, so make no mistake about it!

I think when Super Mario World came out for the SNES, that pretty much took every element of the original three SMBs, and made a phenomenal Super Mario game. It had pretty much everything that you could imagine, and more. I wish they would have retained a couple elements from the "disgraced" SMB2, most notably the ability to choose characters who each had different performance attributes. I actually REALLY liked that aspect of SMB2, and I also think that SMB2 gets a ton of unfounded negativity, for what it's worth. I think it's a great game, and I always found it kind of puzzling how people say "it's OK, but it's not like any of the others" as if they've been saying this the whole time since it came out. Well at the time it came out, yes it was different from the first, but there was no way to know that it would be different from the rest that would follow it. Kinda weird. Anyway, it's also a great game and one I go back and play relatively regularly.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center Polk CS-1 / Fronts Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

I disagree that MArio 64 doesn't stand the test of time. Yes it's easy but still very fun and expertly designed. You need to play it on the N64 at least before final judgment. I almost feel as if the N64 controller was specifically designed around Mario 64.

That said, yes the 2D Mario's still rule the day. Mario 3 was/is brilliant and such a step up from Mario 1 and 2 (2 as in lost levels, not Doki Doki Panic replaced with selectable Mario characters) which are still good games in their own right. Super Mario World is good to but Mario 3 is easily the best.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Power Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
Super Mario Land was a good one!

------

I never really understood how SMB3 has always kind of been the "runaway" or "obvious" best of the series. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I just don't see it as the best at least in terms of unequivocally the best and without any question. I actually have a game save of that one in progress right now on my Wii. It is a great game and I love playing it, so make no mistake about it!

I think when Super Mario World came out for the SNES, that pretty much took every element of the original three SMBs, and made a phenomenal Super Mario game. It had pretty much everything that you could imagine, and more. I wish they would have retained a couple elements from the "disgraced" SMB2, most notably the ability to choose characters who each had different performance attributes. I actually REALLY liked that aspect of SMB2, and I also think that SMB2 gets a ton of unfounded negativity, for what it's worth. I think it's a great game, and I always found it kind of puzzling how people say "it's OK, but it's not like any of the others" as if they've been saying this the whole time since it came out. Well at the time it came out, yes it was different from the first, but there was no way to know that it would be different from the rest that would follow it. Kinda weird. Anyway, it's also a great game and one I go back and play relatively regularly.
I would love it if they had the multiple characters again! I think that is really the only way to make SMB fresh again. SMG2 was stale and felt like "been there, done that" and got me thinking how the next 3D Mario game would be great if you could chose between different characters, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi, each with different play styles to where certain stars would be easy/hard depending on the character. And the twist I want to see: a fifth playable character - Bowser! Yes, Bowser. Have the plot be some new villian captured some Toads and Bowser Jr, so Mario and Co must team up with Bowser

Anyhoo, on topic. I love SMB3! I think it is up there with SM64 (my personal favorite Mario game) and SMW (a solid title!). I loved the world and power-up variety of SMB3, and the game was huge for the time! I also remember the hype leading up to its release, fun times Plus, I still have the music from that game running around in my brain after all of these years
Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Kinda unrelated but still pretty cool. http://pica-pic.com/
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Receiver/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
I wish they would have retained a couple elements from the "disgraced" SMB2, most notably the ability to choose characters who each had different performance attributes. I actually REALLY liked that aspect of SMB2, and I also think that SMB2 gets a ton of unfounded negativity, for what it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Marius View Post
I would love it if they had the multiple characters again! I think that is really the only way to make SMB fresh again. SMG2 was stale and felt like "been there, done that" and got me thinking how the next 3D Mario game would be great if you could chose between different characters, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi, each with different play styles to where certain stars would be easy/hard depending on the character. And the twist I want to see: a fifth playable character - Bowser! Yes, Bowser. Have the plot be some new villian captured some Toads and Bowser Jr, so Mario and Co must team up with Bowser
Yes! I too was a fan of the multiple characters and Nintendo really needs to bring that quality back to the series. Plus, much as I love the gameplay of every Mario platformer to date, they've got to stop with the Peach kidnappings already; it got old really fast. 'Sides, her playable appearances make for good cartoon humor: regarding what she does just before setting out on a day full of running, jumping, throwing, fighting, and daring stunts.

Quote:
I think it's a great game, and I always found it kind of puzzling how people say "it's OK, but it's not like any of the others" as if they've been saying this the whole time since it came out. Well at the time it came out, yes it was different from the first, but there was no way to know that it would be different from the rest that would follow it. Kinda weird. Anyway, it's also a great game and one I go back and play relatively regularly.
SMB2 was built not as a Mario game at first, but rather, as a new standalone game. The Japanese game Doki^2 Panic! Dream Factory was re-sprited into a Mario game for its US release. The game called 'Super Mario Bros. 2' in Japan wasn't release for the NES in America back in the 80s, but was released on the SNES as 'Lost Levels'.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Yes! I too was a fan of the multiple characters and Nintendo really needs to bring that quality back to the series. Plus, much as I love the gameplay of every Mario platformer to date, they've got to stop with the Peach kidnappings already; it got old really fast. 'Sides, her playable appearances make for good cartoon humor: regarding what she does just before setting out on a day full of running, jumping, throwing, fighting, and daring stunts.

SMB2 was built not as a Mario game at first, but rather, as a new standalone game. The Japanese game Doki^2 Panic! Dream Factory was re-sprited into a Mario game for its US release. The game called 'Super Mario Bros. 2' in Japan wasn't release for the NES in America back in the 80s, but was released on the SNES as 'Lost Levels'.
I do remember this history, so yeah there is that aspect to it. I have played and beaten both SMB2s that were released, and they're both good. The SMB2 for Japan is much harder than the original (it's also way harder than the US version of SMB2). I like both games quite a lot, actually. I wish they would have released the Japanese version here, though. Then, the USA version could've just been SMB3, and SMB3 as we know it could've been SMB4. Problem solved! I should work for Nintendo.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center Polk CS-1 / Fronts Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
I disagree that MArio 64 doesn't stand the test of time. Yes it's easy but still very fun and expertly designed. You need to play it on the N64 at least before final judgment. I almost feel as if the N64 controller was specifically designed around Mario 64.

That said, yes the 2D Mario's still rule the day. Mario 3 was/is brilliant and such a step up from Mario 1 and 2 (2 as in lost levels, not Doki Doki Panic replaced with selectable Mario characters) which are still good games in their own right. Super Mario World is good to but Mario 3 is easily the best.
Good points about Mario 64. Playing it for the first time on the N64 was an awe inspiring moment. But after taking an over 10 year break from it then playing it again on the DS was a disappointment. Alot had to do with the fact 3D didnt blow me away anymore for obvious reasons. But I wasnt playing with the N64 controller. But I do believe Mario 64 and Ocarina of time = Citizen Kane, great for advancing the medium but slightly overrated

My biggest gripe with the "Galaxy" games are how they feel like a collection of puzzles and mini games not one large fluid gameplay experience. The levels that "float" midair ruin the atmosphere.

My top 10 mario games, listing only the ones I played

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario Bros. 2
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario 64
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Super Mario Sunshine
7. Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
8. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
9. Super Mario Bros.
10. New Super Mario Bros DS
4K > 1080p
Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

I dont know how many people have played SMG 2 but trust me it is pretty close to the ones mentioned and could be argued as the best Mario game also. Got Em!!
If My Auntie Had Nuts, She Would Be My Uncle!"
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #16

Apr 2008

1. SMB3
2. SMW
3. SM Sunshine (totally underrated)
galaxy 2 looks good but haven't played it yet. also galaxy 1 is overrated like crazy
Old 08-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

anyone remember this version of Mario?

Game & Watch Super Mario

Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #18
Special Member

Dec 2009

I love Super Mario 3!

My List
1) Mario 3
2)Original Mario
3) Mario World
4) Mario 64
5) Mario Galaxy
6) Mario Lost Levels
7) Super Paper Mario

I love them all though!
Who is more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
Banned

Feb 2012

I'd say Super Mario Bros. 3 is the closest you can come to being, objectively, the best video game ever made.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #20

Jan 2012
Massachusetts

It's a tough call because there's so many good Mario games, but I would give it to 3 as well. Like any old game I grew up with playing the hell out of, it's going to get major points because of nostalgia. I think you can play it now and it still holds up and it is a great game, but it definitely helps when you can remember counting down the days until it came out and then having to wait for it until Christmas. Christmas of 1990, almost 6 years old....definitely good times.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming