Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Duel in the Sun (Roadshow Edit… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2010
USA
Default Happy 10th anniversary Gamecube and Xbox!

This trip down memory lane probably won't be as nostalgic as the N64, but who here had either of these consoles?

I had both and the Gamecube was probably the beginning of the end for me with Nintendo. The N64 library sucked just as bad, but my friends and I still logged endless hours on a few select titles like Mario Kart and GoldenEye. Didn't really find that must-play game on the Gamecube. Mario Kart was a step backward and one of my friends liked to call the Zelda game Zelda Sunshine. Mario Party got some decent play, but that was still few and far between.

Xbox was okay for what it was. Mainly my friends and I would play system link Halo for hours until it got super boring and a late game of capture the flag would feature no flag-capturing. Around this time was also my sports game phase but I could never get a feel for sports games on the Xbox controller and thus got them for the PS2.

Was able to sell my Gamecube a few years ago for a surprising amount of money but there were no takers for my Xbox, which is probably worthless now despite the quality titles I have.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

we used to rock the xbox since day 1!!!

multiplayer on halo for the mutha f'ing win!!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb PS4 500 gb• Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"May the Force Be With You"
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

I bought my first Gamecube when I was in college. I was given grants to pay for my classes and textbooks, so I had about $600 left afterwards, and I'd just been placed on Supplemental Security too, so it all added up to just over $1,000. I gave about $400 to my mother, and then went to my local Gamestop. I bought a platinum Gamecube with "Metroid Prime", and a Game Boy Advance with "Metroid Fusion". I sold my Cube in 2006, when the "Superman" DVD boxset came out, but I got another one earlier this year, for $25 or so, and it works wonderfully. I don't remember what happened to my Game Boy Advance, though.
MY FLICKR PAGE - LOTS OF HQ MOVIE IMAGES!

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Old 11-30-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

I still have our original N64, Xbox and Game Cube. My wife likes to play Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 every now and then, and my kids still enjoy Mario Party, Harvest Moon and other Game Cube Games. The Xbox has been a big paperweight ever since the 360 came out, but it still works!
PSN: ricshoe64

Vizio M70-D3 | Marantz SR7010 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Samsung UBD-KM85C
APC H15 | XBox One | Sony PS4
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand

I never owned one but I have a very soft spot for the Game Cube. brilliant concept reducing the size of discs used. Super Smash Brothers Melee was a favourite (it could be played without severe eye strain). But Super Monkey Ball was just a little gem, I loved the whole concept, but appreciated the large ramp stage the most.

and then METROID PRIME, well that to me was one of the finest FPS's, my preference over Halo. awesome music and bosses, but loved the graphics most of all. Sadly never was able to play Prime3. Ethereal is a nice description (suits Halo as well I guess). Mario Tennis was a grabber too!.
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Baltimore, MD

I had both. I played the hell out of Halo, MVP Baseball 05, Timesplitters: Future Perfect and Madden 05 on my Xbox. The Gamecube was used for endless hours of Super Smash Bros. Melee and Timesplitters 2. Good times!
PS3/X360 Gamertag: Icedburden

Joe: But, you're *not* a girl! You're a *guy*, and, why would a guy wanna marry a guy?
Jerry: Security!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

I remember "pre-ordering" the GameCube and going on an exciting $500 game-shopping binge that day. The quotes are because I didn't pre-order a launch console. Rather, when a platinum color version of the system was announced, I pre-ordered that specific unit, and treated the day I got the call to come get it as my own personal launch day.

List of games in my signature; Played tons of Smash Bros. Was a fan of the Zelda and Resident Evil titles it had too.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I remember "pre-ordering" the GameCube and going on an exciting $500 game-shopping binge that day. The quotes are because I didn't pre-order a launch console. Rather, when a platinum color version of the system was announced, I pre-ordered that specific unit, and treated the day I got the call to come get it as my own personal launch day.

List of games in my signature; Played tons of Smash Bros. Was a fan of the Zelda and Resident Evil titles it had too.
I was stunned like a mullet with Resident Evil 4. Graphics and Gameplay really resurrected that franchise. Incredible effort!.
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

Metroid Prime was the best game on the Gamecube, and I enjoyed all the sequence breaking/speed runs that people experimented with afterward (e.g., remember triple-bomb jumping?).

MP2 was a great follow-up on its own right and had some seriously impressive boss fights.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

never had an xbox. back then we had playstations and gamecubes. the games i always think about for the gamecube are resident evil 4 and i cannot forget eternal darkness.
PSN: un4gvn2 LIVE: un4givn2

EI 'AANIIGOO 'AHOOT'E
"2309, there is no finer vintage!"
SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

I 1st bought a gamecube the day Resident Evil was released in 2002. I then traded my PS2 towards a brand new xbox in Jan 2003.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

Jan 2012

I enjoyed the GameCube far more than the Xbox back in the day. Xbox was basically Ninja Gaiden Black, Halo LAN parties and some sports games for me, not much. But it was a good console nonetheless. Microsoft didn't quite win me until the '360.

Even when the 'Cube didn't have too many good games, it had a bunch of classics in my book:
-Super Smash Bros. Melee (BY FAR the game that took most of my time the past decade)
-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
-Super Monkey Ball
-Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
-Metroid Prime / Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
-Resident Evil remake / Resident Evil 4 (best game of the generation, methinks)
-Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO

It was Nintendo's last decent console. I always considered the N64 better than PlayStation's, and to me, even when PS2's library was overall better than the 'Cube (and was also my favorite past-gen system), the latter had THE best games. But other than the Marios and the Zeldas, the Wii was/has been/will be remembered as pretty much a toy.
Want to Buy:
Steels
-Kill Bill Vol. 1+2 (StudioCanal)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #13

Dec 2009
Utah
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

I got a GameCube for Christmas with Metriod Prime and Super Monkey Ball. Shortly after I bought an X-Box. I still have both of them and play them from time to time.

My preference would have to be the GameCube.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
Old 11-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

The Gamecube is such a criminally underrated console. The controller is amazing, it had many awesome games and the graphics were very fine too. Like the cube design a lot.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
The Gamecube is such a criminally underrated console. The controller is amazing, it had many awesome games and the graphics were very fine too. Like the cube design a lot.
No doubt the console's great, but like the N64 prior, the Gamecube suffered from a lack of "top-tier" support outside Nintendo. Instead of going from cartridges to full-on CDs like Sony and Microsoft did, Nintendo chose a "mini-disc" format, which greatly limited how much data could be stored for a single game. That decision only furthered people's assumptions that Nintendo was "behind the times". They followed it up later with the Wii, by refusing to adopt HD support...but it looks like the Wii-U may finally reverse the negativity trend.

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Old 12-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
Special Member

Jan 2013

Execept that the Wii U is only a little bit better than the PS3.

<- Xbox One/Wii U Owner.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobolisdead View Post
Execept that the Wii U is only a little bit better than the PS3.

<- Xbox One/Wii U Owner.
Well, Nintendo's often prized themselves on creativity more than technology alone, but that hasn't been working for them very well in recent years. I loved the "Super Mario Galaxy" games, but "Twilight Princess" was hard as hell, and I still haven't tried "Skyward Sword" yet. By comparison, the NES and SNES had tons of third-party support, which is what helped tide gamers over while Nintendo was perfecting their in-house titles.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

I don't have a proper GameCube console but I use the Dolphin emulator on my self-built Windows 7 Ultimate x64 based computer. Course my only problem with it is I keep forgetting to grab the most current revision. I play console and arcade emulators with a wired XBOX 360 controller, of course with the controls mapped out properly for the layout of it.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:24 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Probably the last best generation of gaming before the online wave came along.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #20
Special Member

Mar 2008
Victorville, CA

Still love my platinum Gamecube. Occasionally fire it up and play Mario Golf and 1080.
3D Blu-ray Player/Media Center: LE Gunmetal MGS4 PS3 (upgraded to 500GB)
Gaming System:BATMAN LE Arkham Knight Gunmetal PS4 (upgraded to 2TB)
PSN ID: TurnDa643
Audio: Sony HT-SS2000 HTiB
Video: Sharp Aquos 60" 1080p 120hz lcd hdtv
DVD's: <downsizing>
Next Upgrade: Sharp Aquos 80" LCD HDTV, Pioneer/Klipsch 7.1 surround system.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming