Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Special Member

Oct 2007
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
Default I just bought a Sega Saturn!

Impluse buy but totally worth it. No controller, or battery cover, but only $25. Works perfectly. Im adding the arcade stick in a few days. Never owned one originally so this is my first.

Alien Trilogy is a must have for me. Marvel vs Capcom also.

Any other owners out there? Someone must own Tomb Raider
Im all about the Ultraviolet copy
Still waiting for Timesplitters 4

Neo Geo - GREATEST GAME SYSTEM EVER!
PSN:Solomon_Kane1973
XBOX LIVE ID:JoferJeff
Follow JoferJeff on Twitter
Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2013
De Pere, WI

Used to own a Sega Saturn system back in the day, I played Tomb Raider on that one before I ever played it on the PlayStation. Great system but very much unappreciated, much like the Dreamcast was afterwards.

Definitely recommend games like the Panzer Dragoon series, Street Fighter Alpha 2, & X-Men: Children of the Atom ... also if you enjoy adventure/RPG games, there's Shining Force III & Shining Wisdom as well, although they're on the pricey side.

By the way, I would recommend replacing the battery in your Saturn with a CR2032 battery right away, they're pretty cheap ... that way you don't have to enter in the clock info each time you turn on the system.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2007
Fox Valley, Wisconsin

Swapping the battery was the first thing I did. I had a spare from my Dreamcast VMUs.

Im stuck with Croc and Black Fire for now. Theres just no selection of games up in my area. Ill just have to pick and choose off of ebay. I know I want Panzer Dragoon, I played that forever in the demo kiosk when the Saturn came out.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Shining Force 3 is wonderful. If you mod your Saturn, you can play all 3 discs in English.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
Expert Member

Jul 2013
El Paso

Get an action replay cart and start importing, some of the best games for the system never made it out of Japan
Old 03-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
Power Member

Nov 2009
KY

Which model do you have? Oval or round buttons?

I know that ST Keys (region free cart) only work on the Oval ones which are the original. I have tried using it on the round one which is model 2 and came with a smaller controller and it won't play discs. One of these days I might mod one or both but I also have a gray Japanese Model 1 which strangely won't read Virtual On so I have to play that on my first Saturn.

I was lucky to buy it at the end of its life. Somehow my machine was a refurbished model. I wish I had kept the box but I do have the NiGHTS demo disc and the 3 in 1 pack free games (Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop and Daytona)
I wished it came in a better package for all the games and demos. I love the
PS2 for having DVD cases which I thought is completely better. I did buy a demo of Panzar Dragon. Randomly saw a copy of the game at Half Price Books but I couldn't buy it since the price is very high just like Radient Silvergun. I wish I could afford all the games.

Saturn is my favorite system and I have the launch demo video. Its also where I played VF 2 and since then I have tried to have a VF collection. I enjoy VF a lot but the newer ones seem to be harder than the older releases.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Special Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

I have a white Sega Saturn (Japanese), with the action replay cartridge and a few games like dungeons & dragons, x-men vs street fighter, castlevania (Japanese version with extra character), Daytona USA. I got some others that I can't remember right now. I've been trying to buy radiant silvergun for years but it goes for more than $150.00
TVs: Mitsubishi WD65C9 + 3DC-1000 Kit, Mitsubishi WD82738
HT: Onkyo HT-S9400 THX 7.1
Bluray/DVD: Sony BDP-S6500(Multi region), Oppo DV-980H
Gaming: PS3 60GB 1st Gen., PS4 Launch Edition, PSVR Bundle, PS4 Pro
Streaming: ChromeCast, Roku 2 XS
Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Special Member

Oct 2007
Fox Valley, Wisconsin

I have the oval button version (version 1). I haven't tried a memory cartridge yet. Still building my collection. Tomb Raiders next on my list but if I come across a copy of Rayman, im in.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #9

Dec 2011
Jax, Fl

i really want to try and get Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3. i would pick up a Saturn for those games, but they're impossible to find.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #10

Apr 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

That is awesome. I always wanted to own one, but never could justify it since I was a kid on a limited budget back in the day. All I could afford to go with was the Playstation. I never had the option of having the Saturn and the N64.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtornado View Post
Impluse buy but totally worth it. No controller, or battery cover, but only $25. Works perfectly. Im adding the arcade stick in a few days. Never owned one originally so this is my first.

Alien Trilogy is a must have for me. Marvel vs Capcom also.

Any other owners out there? Someone must own Tomb Raider

I've had the Saturn since Christmas 1995. Definately a very under-rated system.

I'm not sure if Marvel Vs Capcom was ever released for it (that came out on Dreamcast), but X-Men VS. Street Fighter and Marvel VS. Street Fighter did in Japan.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the imports of them. They are damn near arcade perfect, and the Saturn controller is the ultimate controller (IMO) for playing the classic Street Fighter style games with 3 punch buttons and 3 kick buttons.

Sega got around the loading issue by creating an add-on RAM cartridge that gives the system more capacity to load more info at once. This allowed the full tag team mode to work on the system (unlike the stripped down Playstation versions of these games that came out in the US).

The official Sega RAM cart is in the spoiler tags below, but I wouldn't worry about finding one of them...
[Show spoiler]

Instead you will want to get one of these unofficial 3rd party carts. They get around the region lock issue, allowing the games released in Japan to work on the US system, AND also have the extra RAM built in.

The one that I personally highly recommend, if you can find one, is the Ultra Madness 4M Turbo Key...

Another option is the Action Reply 4M Plus.
[Show spoiler]

The Action Replay cart has the additional benefit of also being a memory card (in addition to getting around the region lock and having the 4M feature).
However, I personally recommend the Ultra Maddness cart more.

I actually have both of these carts. I got the Action Reply cart when I originally got X-Men VS. Street Fighter, and it worked fine. However I could never get it to work with Marvel VS. Street Fighter for some reason. I don't know if this was a common issue, but I ended up buying the Ultra Madness cart and it worked fine with both games. These are the only import games that I have for the system (though I've been tempted to buy more), so I can't comment on any other compatibility issues. What I do know is that the Ultra Maddness cart has a switch to be either a 4M or 1M RAM expansion. Some games came out in Japan that benefited from a 1M expansion cart (I think the Japan release of Marvel Super Heroes was one such game), so it gives you that option as well.

There are some other really good games on the system, but these are the ones that I recommend the most.

The Saturn also has the honor of having the closest thing to an arcade accurate version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 back in the day, though these days the MK Arcade Kollection download for the current systems is even better (the Saturn version suffers from loading issues when using Shang Tsung, but on the plus side there are codes and such to use as well).
Say "no" to Samsung Blu-Ray players. Say "yes" to a whole lot more.
Thanks given by:
BLMN (07-16-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 AM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2007
Fox Valley, Wisconsin

My bad, I meant Marvel Heroes.

Honestly, I think Alien Trilogy is top on my must have list.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
I've had the Saturn since Christmas 1995. Definately a very under-rated system.

I'm not sure if Marvel Vs Capcom was ever released for it (that came out on Dreamcast), but X-Men VS. Street Fighter and Marvel VS. Street Fighter did in Japan.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the imports of them. They are damn near arcade perfect, and the Saturn controller is the ultimate controller (IMO) for playing the classic Street Fighter style games with 3 punch buttons and 3 kick buttons.

Agreed. I have xmen vs street fighter and a couple other games

Another game I recommend for Sega Saturn

And here is my Saturn with the action replay cartridge for those who never seen the Japanese Saturn is a thing of beauty in white

TVs: Mitsubishi WD65C9 + 3DC-1000 Kit, Mitsubishi WD82738
HT: Onkyo HT-S9400 THX 7.1
Bluray/DVD: Sony BDP-S6500(Multi region), Oppo DV-980H
Gaming: PS3 60GB 1st Gen., PS4 Launch Edition, PSVR Bundle, PS4 Pro
Streaming: ChromeCast, Roku 2 XS
Old 07-17-2014, 01:26 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
The Sewer

I really want a Sega Saturn, the white Japanese model but I would be happy with the US version if I found it in the wild.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #15

Dec 2012
Florida

I absolutely love the Sega Saturn, I've always been a big fan of older arcadey-style games and Sega always had a pretty big emphasis on that style (with a lot of arcade-perfect ports for the Saturn and Dreamcast in particular.) Biggest problem is the price, as a lot of the games have become collector's items and are expensive to get a copy of. Guardian Heroes in particular is one of my favorite games of all time.
Thanks given by:
DuranFanWI (11-23-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 01:58 AM   #16
Special Member

Oct 2007
Fox Valley, Wisconsin

I was never a big fan of the Saturn in the beginning. I was one of the ones who got burned with the Sega CD. I just wasnt into getting a new system at that point. By the time I was ready to buy, the playstation was the clear winner.

Playing both now, Saturn is the clear choice with a better choice of games and 2D scrollers.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #17

Dec 2011
Jax, Fl

ive never had or played this system, but i just bought a copy of the disks for Panzer Dragoon Saga, so i'm really looking forward to trying this game out. Now i have to find a replacement case and a Saturn.

after some research looks like the must buy Saturn games are:

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Shining Force 3
Guardian Heroes
Die Hard Arcade
Night Into Dreams

i'll be slowly looking for the above games.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

I have a Sega Saturn and a few games. The game that stood out the most for me was Nights and because it included the controller. I remember buying this from Sears.

"and baby you can see,
that we were meant to be,
you take the shades of gray,
and make them fade away"

rainbow girl by dj s3rl 💙💚💛💜💓
Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #19

Dec 2011
Jax, Fl

finally bought a Sega Saturn! pretty excited to play Panzer Dragoon Saga.

i bought a copy of the discs on ebay a while back, still looking for a manual to buy.

i have several games now

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Area 51
Revolution X
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Die Hard Arcade
Night Into Dreams
Xmen Children of the Atom
Shining Force 3
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011

One of the few systems I very much regret selling off to fund a new generation. Panzer Saga is something special.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming