Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
33 min ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
7 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #221
Power Member

Dec 2009
Pacific NW

Quote:
Originally Posted by format916 View Post
it doesnt need discussion..in no way shape or form did sinister remind me of the original texas chainsaw massacre...except that ive should have watched that instead of sinister.
+1
Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #222
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

This was one of the scariest / creepiest movies I've seen in a while. Was in total darkness in my HT with a 7.1 system and it can really creep you out.
Epson 5020UB, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver, NAD M25 amp, Oppo bdp-93, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm ADP-590 v5, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #223
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

I also watched this movie with 5.1 surround sound pumped up to the max and it was very creepy.
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/COD Advance Warfare/The Evil Within/Sunset Overdrive/The Master Chief Collection/Assassin Creed Unity/Far Cry 4
Old 08-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #224
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Swords View Post
+1
Don't you just hate reading a book halfway through? You tend to miss those pesky relevant parts. Like the part where no one was talking about the movie as a whole, just a part of it that applies to the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy24la View Post
He was talking about the Super 8 films inside the movie, which I agree, had a raw, documentary style like the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
See, this guy gets it!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #225
Special Member

Sep 2012
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post

it has one of the best soundtracks for a horror movie. very creepy music.
You're 100% correct. I thought about that when I first watched the movie.

Did you love Boards Of Canada at the end? I did.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #226

Mar 2014
Mississippi, usa

Does anyone have the uv code for this?
Momma to 5 & Wife to an awesome Army Veteran!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #227
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
SoCal, CA

Try here

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220953
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #228
Special Member

Sep 2012
Manchester, Uk

Was a real letdown for me when i saw it on cinema (if your searchin for an intruder in your house you would turn the light switch on behind you instead of prancing around in the dark, not this guy) been thinking of giving it another go soon though.
" Steve Gerrard Gerrard, he slipped on his ******* arse, he gave it to Demba Ba, Steve Gerrard Gerrard"

Manchester City -2014 Premier League Champions.
2014 League Cup Winners.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #229

Jun 2014
Canada

Rented and streamed this tonight off the PSN store. I thought it would be a lot better. It relies to much on sudden, annoyingly loud jump scares which are more annoying than anything. Plus the whole kids doing the "shhhhhhh" finger to lips gesture was hilarious.

As for the home video aspect, I didn't find them all that disturbing. Maybe it's because I'm used to gorier films a la Fulci and Argento???

Even Bagul was a letdown. He reminded me of a guy in a Slipknot-esque mask.

Last edited by takeasneededforpain; 09-05-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #230
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Its not brilliant but it is good and a lot better than the overrated The Conjuring.
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 09-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #231

Jun 2014
Canada

Actually I found the first half (give or take) of The Conjuring (when it was still plotwise a haunted house film) to be more atmospheric and genuinely creepier than this.

Well before it turned into a hilariously shitty Exorcist-esque ripoff...
Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #232

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Its not brilliant but it is good and a lot better than the overrated The Conjuring.
Both movies are very overrated and not remotely scary IMO.

The Conjuring, while it had good acting and decent direction, the scares were pretty telegraphed and the entire change of supernatural subgenre type during the last act was a little silly.

Sinister, on the other hand, was a complete bore aside from the home videos Ethan Hawke watched and all of the crime investigation stuff, which were well done. Then again I had the same problem with Scott Derrickson's previous film in that the courtroom drama parts were fantastic but the exorcism movie parts were complete crap, though Jennifer Carpenter should be applauded for trying her hardest while playing her role. Just wish she sported the makeup she had during her last scene in more sequences. I did like Deliver Us from Evil though, which was alright.

Last edited by GasmaskAvenger; 09-05-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #233
Power Member

Jul 2014

The Conjuring lives up to the hype for me because James Wan is a horror master and he came at the old and tired at a very interesting angle.

Sinister had formulaic structuring, telegraphed jump scares and the way the whole thing unravels into pure stupidity at the end really frustrated me all round, considering how great the premise of the film was and that initial build up.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #234
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeasneededforpain View Post
Rented and streamed this tonight off the PSN store. I thought it would be a lot better. It relies to much on sudden, annoyingly loud jump scares which are more annoying than anything. Plus the whole kids doing the "shhhhhhh" finger to lips gesture was hilarious.

As for the home video aspect, I didn't find them all that disturbing. Maybe it's because I'm used to gorier films a la Fulci and Argento???

Even Bagul was a letdown. He reminded me of a guy in a Slipknot-esque mask.
I was not terribly impressed either, when I watched it in the cinema. However, in subsequent viewings it has grown a bit on me. I still don't think it's very good, but I find the sound design and soundtrack rather creepy.

Could have done without the
[Show spoiler]ghost children
, though. I had a hard time seeing what the director was going for there. I didn't find them even remotely disturbing - perhaps on the account of the over-use of slow-motion in the scene.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, L'avventura, Don't Look Now (remaster), The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979), Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, Don't Go in the House.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America