Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.27
Star Wars: Episodes IV-VI (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Green Room (Blu-ray)
$18.32
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
War & Peace (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Gods of Egypt 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Catch Me If You Can (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #581
Blu-Benny Blu-Benny is offline
Michael Bay's #1 Fan
 
Blu-Benny's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny
39
433
108
135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatauhobbit View Post
There's plenty of people who hate Bay movies. I think they actually tend to be more vocal on forums than those who enjoy his movies so it's probably the minority that defend him. I'm certainly one of the defenders, I've enjoyed all of his films with the exception of Pain & Gain. He makes shut-off-your-brain-and-eat-popcorn flicks which is fine with me, plenty of other people left to make deep in thought films.

The Rock still remains his best film though.
Bad Boys is right up there w/The Rock for me.

but i also love all of his movies w/the exception of Pearl Harbor.

haven't sat down to watch Pain and Gain yet.
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb PS4 500 gb• Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Winter is Coming"
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #582
Ripley18711 Ripley18711 is offline
Member
 
Ripley18711's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
633
311
Default

Is the AQ that good on this version then? I confess to not having heard the blu ray version, but both DVD and HD I found pretty poor, bass-wise at least.
I really enjoyed the film, but have always been put off getting it due to the sound.
Quite tempted to get it now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #583
AaronJ AaronJ is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
AaronJ's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Michigan
249
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatauhobbit View Post
There's plenty of people who hate Bay movies. I think they actually tend to be more vocal on forums than those who enjoy his movies so it's probably the minority that defend him. I'm certainly one of the defenders, I've enjoyed all of his films with the exception of Pain & Gain. He makes shut-off-your-brain-and-eat-popcorn flicks which is fine with me, plenty of other people left to make deep in thought films.

The Rock still remains his best film though.
I like Bay's films in general. They're fun and mostly silly. I have yet to see Pain & Gain though. I just haven't gotten around to it. I've also never seen Bad Boys II or the most recent Transformers movie. Otherwise, I've seen all of his features, and I've enjoyed most of them.
Best movies last 10 years: Carol, Birdman, Her, The Master, Melancholia, The Social Network, Inglorious Basterds, The Dark Knight, Assassination of Jesse James, The Prestige
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #584
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
807
114
3
292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley18711 View Post
Is the AQ that good on this version then? I confess to not having heard the blu ray version, but both DVD and HD I found pretty poor, bass-wise at least.
I really enjoyed the film, but have always been put off getting it due to the sound.
Quite tempted to get it now.
Got a 4.5 AQ in the review!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Island-Blu-ray/22605/

I'm not a bass-head, but I've got a fair system and don't recall any cutoff problems or whatever.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, it’s what I do for a living. There’s gotta be a method to it. It’s psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. It’s a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****in’ legs, he’ll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ripley18711 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #585
Ripley18711 Ripley18711 is offline
Member
 
Ripley18711's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
633
311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Got a 4.5 AQ in the review!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Island-Blu-ray/22605/

I'm not a bass-head, but I've got a fair system and don't recall any cutoff problems or whatever.
Thanks for the link It looks like the US version has better VQ & AQ than the UK release.
I've noticed it with a few of Bay's films. From what I remember Bad Boys II was weak on the bass as were the first 2 Transformers. He definitely made up for it on the Age of Extinction though
LG 55LM640T | Sony BDP S790MR | Sony BDP S5200 Region A | Sony STR DH820 | Boston Acoustics Soundware XS SE 5.1 | Q Acoustics 2020 |
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #586
Pieter V Pieter V is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pieter V's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Netherlands
14
Default

Too bad the disc is Region A locked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #587
tylergfoster tylergfoster is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Seattle, WA
836
593
742
5
151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Guess I'm in the minority here as one who can pretty much stand The Rock and absolutely nothing else from Bay.
You are indeed in the minority of people who hate The Island (as one of Bay's non Rock movies) in the thread for The Island.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #588
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
807
114
3
292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley18711 View Post
Thanks for the link It looks like the US version has better VQ & AQ than the UK release.
I've noticed it with a few of Bay's films. From what I remember Bad Boys II was weak on the bass as were the first 2 Transformers. He definitely made up for it on the Age of Extinction though
According to HD’s “List of International BDs with Better PQ, AQ, and/or More Extras” thread, the German one has the best PQ - but it’s region B locked:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...48&postcount=6

Island, The (1980)
US - AVC 20000 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 3361 kbps 24-bit, English subs (Region A locked)
DE - AVC 34994 kbps, DTS-HD MA 2.0 1571 kbps 16-bit, better compression, English subs (Region B locked) Best PQ

However, it would appear that the US release has the better sound.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, it’s what I do for a living. There’s gotta be a method to it. It’s psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. It’s a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****in’ legs, he’ll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ripley18711 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #589
Ripley18711 Ripley18711 is offline
Member
 
Ripley18711's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
633
311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
According to HD’s “List of International BDs with Better PQ, AQ, and/or More Extras” thread, the German one has the best PQ - but it’s region B locked:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...48&postcount=6

Island, The (1980)
US - AVC 20000 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 3361 kbps 24-bit, English subs (Region A locked)
DE - AVC 34994 kbps, DTS-HD MA 2.0 1571 kbps 16-bit, better compression, English subs (Region B locked) Best PQ

However, it would appear that the US release has the better sound.
I think that's the wrong Island. Isn't that the Michael Caine film?
LG 55LM640T | Sony BDP S790MR | Sony BDP S5200 Region A | Sony STR DH820 | Boston Acoustics Soundware XS SE 5.1 | Q Acoustics 2020 |
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #590
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
807
114
3
292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley18711 View Post
I think that's the wrong Island. Isn't that the Michael Caine film?
Could be, I'll ask (I wish release years or links were added to the list).

P.S. Crikey, you're right! Thanks! It said 1980, what the hell was I thinkin'?
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, it’s what I do for a living. There’s gotta be a method to it. It’s psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. It’s a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****in’ legs, he’ll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.

Last edited by Early Memphis; 01-19-2015 at 08:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #591
Rinzler Rinzler is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Rinzler's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
465
132
2
1
Default

Can't thank all of you enough for checking! My order is in... can't believe I've not yet seen this one. I need to watch The Rock as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #592
AaronJ AaronJ is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
AaronJ's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Michigan
249
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Can't thank all of you enough for checking! My order is in... can't believe I've not yet seen this one. I need to watch The Rock as well.
Bay's two best films, AFAIC.
Best movies last 10 years: Carol, Birdman, Her, The Master, Melancholia, The Social Network, Inglorious Basterds, The Dark Knight, Assassination of Jesse James, The Prestige
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #593
Gold Ranger Gold Ranger is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Gold Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY
874
37
15
35
Default

I have the Paramount Spine with Warner Barcode, I just picked it up from Target fo $5.oo
Is there any difference between the releases?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #594
steve_dave steve_dave is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Nov 2008
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
I have the Paramount Spine with Warner Barcode, I just picked it up from Target fo $5.oo
Is there any difference between the releases?
Nope.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #595
Gold Ranger Gold Ranger is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Gold Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY
874
37
15
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Nope.
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #596
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dec 2011
1
Default

I just picked up the Target version for $5.00. Was there a remastered version of this or is this it? I want to make sure I got the right one before I open it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #597
Filmmaker Filmmaker is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Filmmaker's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)
1169
608
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I just picked up the Target version for $5.00. Was there a remastered version of this or is this it? I want to make sure I got the right one before I open it.
This is it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #598
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dec 2011
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
This is it.
Thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 PM.