Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray)
$98.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Fast & Furious 1-6 Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Book of Life (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Whiplash (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Defiance: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Thunderbirds: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.97
Duck, You Sucker (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Predestination (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.89
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #16341
jayembee jayembee is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire
783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I think some people are taking my post as an insult and getting defensive, but it wasn't intended that way.
Well, to be perfectly honest, it was the following comment that I found off-putting:

Quote:
However I know some people collect labels and buy films they don't love just to complete a collection, and I hope that person isn't doing that. Not healthy behavior.
Categorizing someone who chooses to "complete a collection" as exhibiting "non-healthy behavior" can be insulting. I consider strapping two pieces of polished wood to your feet and throwing yourself down the side of a mountain at high velocity to be "unhealthy behavior" -- quite literally, if you end up breaking bones in the process -- but I know several people who are (otherwise) fairly sane and well-adjusted who like to ski. That's their lookout.

Quote:
All I am saying is if your compulsions and re-watchable movies span far and wide enough to get 100 Twilight Time titles, well... that's a lot. I don't know whether I envy that or am scared of it but either way more power to you, do what you like.

Me personally, I can't re-watch a movie like Heaven and Earth over and over again, despite loving it, and I can't afford to buy movies I won't re-watch. I wouldn't think anyone would buy a movie they know they only want to watch once or twice in a lifetime, but maybe they do.
I don't buy movies because I want to re-watch them over and over, just as I don't buy books because I want to re-read them over and over. With both, there are some cases in which I do and some in which I don't. The reason I buy them is because I want to have them directly to hand if I should have a hankering to watch them. And it might not even be the entire movie. I've probably watched The Little Mermaid only five or six times straight through from beginning to end, but have watched selected scenes/musical numbers dozens of times.

And the real question is not whether I have an interest in watching something over and over again, but whether I have the time to watch something over and over again. But when I do have the time, I have the disc over there on the shelf.

It's not just that other people might have different tastes than you, it's also that other people have a different sense of priorities than you.
"He sits there in his house watching the same stupid movie over and over again."
"Bad taste in films is not a criminal offense."
"Wait till you've seen it."

List of Twilight Time signed promotional titles.

List of Twilight Time Out of Print titles, with dates they went OOP

Last edited by jayembee; Yesterday at 10:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu Titan (Today), bruceames. (Yesterday), CRSearle (Today), DvdClon (Today), nitin (Today), octagon (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #16342
Blu Titan Blu Titan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Blu Titan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
21
1706
2
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
Well, to be perfectly honest, it was the following comment that I found off-putting:



Categorizing someone who chooses to "complete a collection" as exhibiting "non-healthy behavior" can be insulting. I consider strapping two pieces of polished wood to your feet and throwing yourself down the side of a mountain at high velocity to be "unhealthy behavior" -- quite literally, if you end up breaking bones in the process -- but I know several people who are (otherwise) fairly sane and well-adjusted who like to ski. That's their lookout.



I don't buy movies because I want to re-watch them over and over, just as I don't buy books because I want to re-read them over and over. With both, there are some cases in which I do and some in which I don't. The reason I buy them is because I want to have them directly to hand if I should have a hankering to watch them. And it might not even be the entire movie. I've probably watched The Little Mermaid only five or six times straight through from beginning to end, but have watched selected scenes/musical numbers dozens of times.

And the real question is not whether I have an interest in watching something over and over again, but whether I have the time to watch something over and over again. But when I do have the time, I have the disc over there on the shelf.

It's not just that other people might have different tastes than you, it's also that other people have a different sense of priorities than you.
Some people have more disposable income then others...or others might not have much income but have few expenses. Thus, their disposable income is higher. I would be the last to brag...I am not rich, but spending a couple of hundreds in movies is really not a big deal for me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bruceames. (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #16343
joey cusack joey cusack is offline
Member
 
joey cusack's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
Philly, PA (really) drinking a Genny Cream Ale as Tom Stall (not really)
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Well, she is a very impressive woman...



"Never hit a man when he's down. He may get up."

Despite the enduring popularity of George Macdonald Fraser's novels, the exploits of Harry Flashman, the school bully who made Tom Brown's schooldays such an ordeal and whose subsequently chronicled military career saw him popping up across the globe at historically propitious moments, didn't have much luck with the big screen. An attempt to film Flashman, the first novel, with John Alderton as the bounder and Richard Lester directing was cancelled only days before shooting was scheduled to start in 1970 and even after Lester and Macdonald were coming off the success of The Three and Four Musketeers, 1975's Royal Flash came almost as close to being cancelled before a last-minute change of studios saved the day only for the film's box-office failure to kill off all hope of sequels. Which is a shame, because it's a wonderful comedy adventure spin on The Prisoner of Zenda (the novel's conceit is that it was Anthony Hope who stole the idea after Flashman told him of his exploits) which just happens to involve real historical figures like Otto Von Bismarck (a coldly pompous Oliver Reed), Lola Montes (Florinda Bolkan), King Ludwig of Bavaria and even bare-knuckle boxer-turned-Member of Parliament John Gully (`Our `Enry' Copper, dubbed by Norman Rossington).

Flashman's certainly a wonderful comic hero for an increasingly cynical and disillusioned age. The hero of Afghanistan is almost the British Empire incarnate in all its self-righteous self-serving cynicism, a shamelessly xenophobic exploiter who wraps himself up in all the great British values he doesn't hold but who still constantly ends up doing some good by complete accident and bad luck while trying to fill his boots. He's not exactly a complete coward, though he always tries to manipulate the odds in his favour ("Come on down and fight like a man." "Don't be ridiculous!"), he's certainly a braggart and a bigot and the kind of person who is always absolutely guaranteed to let you down and steal your girlfriend and your last five pounds in the process, yet, as Big George Webley says in one of the DVD and Bluray's accompanying featurettes, you still want to be his mate.

While Fraser's first choice for the role, Errol Flynn, was too dead and his second, David Niven, too old, Malcolm McDowall makes a very pleasing and surprisingly acrobatic substitute even if the surface emphasis shifts from charm to selfishness, and he's surrounded by an excellent supporting cast - Alan Bates on wonderfully witty form and an excellent foil for McDowall in the Rupert of Hentzau role, Britt Ekland cast against type as a frigid duchess, Alastair Sim (not given much to do in one of his last roles), Lionel Jeffries, Tom Bell, Joss Ackland, Christopher Cazenove (who could have made a decent Flashman himself had his profile been higher), Michael Hordern, Bob Hoskins and David Jason. It's given top notch production values too, from cinematography by Geoffrey Unsworth to production design by Terence Marsh and some excellent location work in Bavaria. All of which would just be window dressing if it weren't for the film's wickedly entertaining sense of fun that at once manages to debunk period swashbucklers while celebrating them, with Lester throwing in some wonderful sight gags (one with a bored maid washing the floor at an especially dramatic moment in the story is a particular gem) without losing sight of the story. As the TV spot included on the disc says, it's `A terribly funny film with absolutely no redeeming social value,' and one which definitely seems to have improved with age.

Like Fox's DVD release, Twilight Time's limited edition region-free Blu-ray of the general release version doesn't offer any of the deleted scenes (the film was trimmed after previewing badly, losing Arthur Lowe and Roy Kinnear's scenes) but does have the same satisfying extras package, pride of place going to an enjoyable audio commentary with McDowall affectionately looking back on the film (he's particularly good on his warm relationship with Bates and how they had to rewrite the script to appeal to his admitted vanity and on Sim's tendency to sputter his lines causing him to despair of having to dub his lines). Also included are two featurettes featuring Fraser and both his admirers and some of those who worked on the film, one on the making of the film, the other on the Flashman books, and isolated music and effects track and a booklet (a different one to that included on Fox's DVD). The impressive transfer is a noticeable improvement over the DVD version, though like many 70s films it does occasionally have a deliberately diffused look.
I'm a fan of the Flashman books having read most of them after I read about George MacDonald Frasier and the character after GMDF's death. That being said I think this is definitely a case of the books being better than the movie especially with all the historical references to real events and people in the books (in Royal Flash - Otto Bismarck, Lola Montez, etc) and explanations in the books' indices. I do think Malcom Mcdowell plays a pretty good Flashman and I think it's worth a view ( Maybe a double feature with Criterion's Lola Montez ) but I don't know if it's worth more than one view unless you're a fan of the character who is quite a scallywag or Mr. Mcdowell.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:03 AM   #16344
Mughi Mughi is online now
Member
 
Mughi's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
222
Default

Very nice review, Aclea! I was less taken with Royal Flash myself, having enormous expectations for it given my appreciation of both Malcolm McDowell and the novels...the slapstick falls oddly flat for me. But since I was first drawn to the novels by the movie connection, I can't complain too much!

While many attempts have been made to bring more Flashman to the screen over the years, the latest sounds very promising indeed, having none other than Ridley Scott attached to it. He has the chops for the period setting and the action...I just hope the humor doesn't elude him.

This conversation brings something else to mind...while most of the major gaps in tentpole cinema releases have been filled in by Blu-Ray at this point, The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers are still oddly missing. Now that I realize that, I want them badly...
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:09 AM   #16345
polterclown polterclown is online now
Member
 
Sep 2014
Default

agh the musketeer films are available here in europe ( not sure if they locked )
and lets not forget the third one in the series :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ilmPoster.jpeg
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #16346
CRSearle CRSearle is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2010
3353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboree View Post
I don't buy movies because I want to re-watch them over and over, just as I don't buy books because I want to re-read them over and over. With both, there are some cases in which I do and some in which I don't. The reason I buy them is because I want to have them directly to hand if I should have a hankering to watch them. And it might not even be the entire movie. I've probably watched The Little Mermaid only five or six times straight through from beginning to end, but have watched selected scenes/musical numbers dozens of times.

And the real question is not whether I have an interest in watching something over and over again, but whether I have the time to watch something over and over again. But when I do have the time, I have the disc over there on the shelf.

It's not just that other people might have different tastes than you, it's also that other people have a different sense of priorities than you.
jamboree your explanation nails exacly why I collect.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 AM   #16347
tcdrek tcdrek is online now
Active Member
 
tcdrek's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
USandA
1
2
Default

Does anyone know what brand of blu-ray case that twilight time uses for most of their releases? I have one twilight time bd (Sexy Beast) that came in a Viva Elite case, but all of the others I've ordered come in a case that has more squared-off corners (especially on the spine) and feels heavier and sturdier than a Viva Elite, but has a blu-ray insiginia that seems more cheaply applied to the case. Unfortunately, there is no writing on this type of case which makes locating a vendor that might sell them difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #16348
Deep Deep is online now
Active Member
 
Deep's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdrek View Post
Does anyone know what brand of blu-ray case that twilight time uses for most of their releases? I have one twilight time bd (Sexy Beast) that came in a Viva Elite case, but all of the others I've ordered come in a case that has more squared-off corners (especially on the spine) and feels heavier and sturdier than a Viva Elite, but has a blu-ray insiginia that seems more cheaply applied to the case. Unfortunately, there is no writing on this type of case which makes locating a vendor that might sell them difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
Older releases used Viva Elite cases but early last year they switched to the cases with squared-off corners (which Olive Films have always used). These are generic cases made by Octave Systems (I think).

-D
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu Titan (Today), tcdrek (Today)
Old Today, 01:02 AM   #16349
Sho-Nuff Sho-Nuff is online now
Member
 
Sho-Nuff's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Chicago, IL
96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
It's somewhat of a recent phenomenon, really. Amazon is the first I recall adjusting the price on the fly automatically, but that only applies if the item hasn't shipped. If it's already shipped, not so much. (their CS would almost certainly do it after the fact, but they consider it a negative customer service event). Now some big box retailers give you like 14 days, and they do this to compete with Amazon, but I'd hardly say it's "customer service 101".

Most businesses will just laugh at you if you say you want a price adjustment AFTER you already agree and paid for a deal. Big Box Retail is really the only place it happens IMO.
Just about every store I've purchased from tells me to bring in that receipt for a price adjustment or call the customer service number if I purchased online and they will adjust the price if it's within their return policy.

I'm not sure what businesses you shop at where "they laugh at you" AFTER you agree and paid for the price at the time...... I've been shopping many many years and NEVER experienced that....as long as if you have the receipt and its within their return policy......even during a big sale the price is usually adjusted..... excluding black Friday sales

So I completely disagree.....It's basic customer service 101.
Am I the baddest, mo-fo, low-down, around this town?......Sho'nuff!!
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:38 AM   #16350
nitin nitin is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2010
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
Well, to be perfectly honest, it was the following comment that I found off-putting:



Categorizing someone who chooses to "complete a collection" as exhibiting "non-healthy behavior" can be insulting. I consider strapping two pieces of polished wood to your feet and throwing yourself down the side of a mountain at high velocity to be "unhealthy behavior" -- quite literally, if you end up breaking bones in the process -- but I know several people who are (otherwise) fairly sane and well-adjusted who like to ski. That's their lookout.



I don't buy movies because I want to re-watch them over and over, just as I don't buy books because I want to re-read them over and over. With both, there are some cases in which I do and some in which I don't. The reason I buy them is because I want to have them directly to hand if I should have a hankering to watch them. And it might not even be the entire movie. I've probably watched The Little Mermaid only five or six times straight through from beginning to end, but have watched selected scenes/musical numbers dozens of times.

And the real question is not whether I have an interest in watching something over and over again, but whether I have the time to watch something over and over again. But when I do have the time, I have the disc over there on the shelf.

It's not just that other people might have different tastes than you, it's also that other people have a different sense of priorities than you.
good post. All I would add is that rewatching the same stuff over and over isnt exaclty everyone's cup of tea either.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 AM.