Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Vincent Price Collection II (Blu-ray)
$59.76
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$101.18
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #121
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Channel Islands

Although City Hunter is HD, I am not that impressed to be honest!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #122
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridista8700 View Post

Oh, well. Tell me which of his other movies you like?
I already did..."The Big Brawl," "Drunken Master" (1978), and "Rumble in the Bronx" are pretty much it...everything else I've seen I haven't really cared for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
City Hunter is definitely not an upscale.
As I posted earlier, this was my initial perception as well...I keep hearing all this speculation that what Fortune Star provided Shout were not true HD masters...As I already said, and as your caps show, "City Hunter" looks similar to the HK Blu (which is HD) shots on caps-a-holic, and "Battle Creek Brawl" looks considerably better than my DVD ...that's all I can say...I'm not typing the words "City Hunter" again after this post...the film is so bad, it's not even worth spelling out the title IMO...

Last edited by kdo; 07-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #123
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Denmark
Send a message via MSN to madridista8700

While City Hunter is not the best HD presentation, it is only one of two real JC HD releases by K&R, the other being The Accidental Spy, which is an awesome movie and looks great.
What the hell is a dim mak?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #124
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridista8700 View Post
While City Hunter is not the best HD presentation, it is only one of two real JC HD releases by K&R, the other being The Accidental Spy, which is an awesome movie and looks great.
So The Accidental Spy K&R disc is worth getting then? what about the US release? I am guessing it is cut to bits. Was this film in English? noticed the K&R disc has only Cantonese audio!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #125
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgen2005 View Post
So The Accidental Spy K&R disc is worth getting then? what about the US release? I am guessing it is cut to bits. Was this film in English? noticed the K&R disc has only Cantonese audio!
The Accidental Spy HK is uncut and the original audio track is primarily Cantonese, English, and Turkish.

The US release is cut and dubbed completely in English.
[Show spoiler]supposedly the main plot point about Anthrax II was altered for a lesser and non lethal drug.

So far, I believe only HK got a Blu-ray release while Echo Bridge has only released this (countless times) on DVD in the US.

Last edited by steve_dave; 07-24-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #126
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Denmark

We should really get a Jackie Chan Blu-ray Thread

Newgen, there are three cuts of Accidental Spy. The original HK cut which is the original, the butchered US cut and then the Malaysian Extended Cut. Haven't seen the Malaysian, so I can't really comment on it.

I am glad that I saw the US version first, because then I had something really good coming with the HK version.

I hated the US version, I think I saw it back in 2004. The movie seemed pointless and really just looked like a bunch of scenes slapped together with no understandable story line. Horrible!
Then I learned of an HK cut released on Blu-ray and bought it right away when it was released and I loved it. The plot now seemed 100% clear to me, and the whole movie made sense.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #127
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
The Accidental Spy HK is uncut and the original audio track is primarily Cantonese, English, and Turkish.

The US release is cut and dubbed completely in English.
[Show spoiler]supposedly the main plot point about Anthrax II was altered for a lesser and non lethal drug.

So far, I believe only HK got a Blu-ray release while Echo Bridge has only released this (countless times) on DVD in the US.
It was also released in the UK last year. Be warned, it's the US cut, so stay away!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #128
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Channel Islands

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #129

Mar 2011
Norway

I'm not one to recommend people to buy upscales (even though I own two), but just a friendly hint that the K&R release of 'Armour of God II: Operation Condor' is 100% uncut and unedited. Being an upscale it looks far from perfect, but still much better than my DVD did and better than most upscales.

User reviews can be read here.

The HK DVDs are also uncut, but most editions have zoomed in in a couple of scenes to censor nudity. The unedited DVD has been oop for a long time and is hard to get.

In comparison the US Operation Condor BD is ca. 16 minutes shorter and is not recommended.

EDIT: And YES to a Jackie thread. Seems like we need it.

Last edited by chrisron; 07-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #130

Feb 2010
Fantasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo View Post
Bits and pieces of "Police Story," "Supercop," and "Legend of Drunken Master." Thought they were all so terrible, I never finished watching them. "Rumble in the Bronx" was ok
I'm speechless. :X With the exception of Police Story 3: Supercop( which itself has some impressive stunts), the first Police Story and Drunken Master 2( aka Legend of Drunken Master in the shorter U.S version) are classics and is considered by many as some of Jackie's best movies. Seriously the word "terrible" shouldn't even be associated with those movies! And Rumble in the Bronx was not just not "okay", it was pretty awesome especially the unedited Hong Kong version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisron View Post
but just a friendly hint that the K&R release of 'Armour of God II: Operation Condor' is 100% uncut and unedited.
Thanks for the info. I hate upscales but I'll check this one out since it's unedited. I have unedited U.K DVD and it only contain the English dub( which is not bad considering most of the actors are Caucasians)

Quote:
Although City Hunter is HD, I am not that impressed to be honest!
Better than upscales and actually looks good in motion.

Last edited by tgwtg; 07-25-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #131
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgwtg View Post
I'm speechless. :X With the exception of Police Story 3: Supercop( which itself has some impressive stunts), the first Police Story and Drunken Master 2( aka Legend of Drunken Master in the shorter U.S version) are classics and is considered by many as some of Jackie's best movies. Seriously the word "terrible" shouldn't even be associated with those movies! And Rumble in the Bronx was not just not "okay", it was pretty awesome especially the unedited Hong Kong version.
It's just my personal opinion...nothing more ...
Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #132

Aug 2011
Stem, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post
Of course I've bought the first two Chan two movie sets from Shout at Best Buy, to support them, now they release one in actual HD and my Best Buy doesn't have it!
I bought mine from their website with free shipping. Would have been nice to have it in store to do Upgrade and Save, but I used a Reward Certificate anyway, so no biggie.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #133
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy hot View Post
I bought mine from their website with free shipping. Would have been nice to have it in store to do Upgrade and Save, but I used a Reward Certificate anyway, so no biggie.
What do you think of it?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #134

Aug 2011
Stem, NC

Quote:
What do you think of it?
First time seeing both movies actually. I thought City Hunter was a terrible movie in regards to plot, acting, and those insanely goofy cartoon sound effects, but it was just so much fun I didn't mind any of the problems. Once I settled into the little cartoon world it was playing in I had a blast with it.

I absolutely loved Battle Creek Brawl. Loved that it was a period piece, but it didn't feel locked to a specific time, kind of felt timeless in the way something like Batman the Animated Series feels, if that makes any sense. Enjoyed the action a lot, and even though the hero entering the fighting tournament to save someone is pretty cliche, the tournament was different enough from the straight martial arts tourneys or death matches from other flicks that it didn't seem same old same old. It felt different enough to feel fresh to me I guess. Honestly, felt a bit like old school pro wrestling, which was cool with me. The race before that was pretty great too. Certainly something different than what we normally would see in a standard martial arts flick. Mako was awesome in this, but he was pretty awesome so that's to be expected I guess. Really had a lot of fun with it. And that theme song...so catchy. Top notch flick.

Audio quality was good, picture quality was what it was. Wasn't expecting much, and was maybe pleasantly surprised. Both looked HD to me, but Brawl looks in terrible shape and I can't imagine it looking good no matter what they would do to it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #135
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Well, after re-watching the Blu the other day, and in light of the previous comments I made here, and still being bothered with certain aspects of the audio, I decided to sit down and watch "Battle Creek Brawl" back to back to back...First, the DVD with the original mono audio track, and then the Shout double-feature Blu-ray with its two DTS offerings (one of which is supposed to be the original audio)...

At this point, all I can say is that I'm very disappointed, as it is quite clear to me now, having spent the time I did, that there is absolutely no way that either track on the Shout Blu is the original mono offering. At first, I thought the differences were subtle, but in watching them consecutively, it became annoyingly obvious just how different they really are. What we got on the Shout Blu (and I'm guessing their recently released double-feature DVD as well), is a slightly upgraded port of the crappy 5.1 remastered track (with newly added sound effects) that was done for the old DVD release. All the 2.0 mix on the Shout Blu really is, is a downsample of the 5.1 track. This is maddening. In fact, so maddening that I've decided to take a hiatus from posting here for a while...I've had enough of these screw-ups on Blu-ray to last me a lifetime, and a lot of these studios (both big and small) need to get their acts together, and start putting people in their quality control departments who know what they're doing. Sometimes, based on how poor some Blu releases I've seen have been, I wonder if the studios even use QC for every title they put out, or if it's only something they do for select releases...not only that, but who's doing it? Is it someone who actually knows the film?

There is simply no way that Shout's QC shouldn't have caught this before they put out the Blu...Due to the fact that Shout's upcoming Bruce Lee Legacy set seems to have some serious issues of its own, I'd imagine that they'll be pretty busy dealing with customer complaints for the next several months.

Considering that Shout has marketed this new "BCB" release as containing the original audio track, which it clearly doesn't, I do feel a recall is in order.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #136

Nov 2009

Agree Kdo , i am just sick of false product being promoted as the real thing. Added audio effects are my biggest bug, there is no need to add extra sound effects to anything, especially years after the film was released and all of the Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee blu rays have added sound effects just so they can say its 7.1 etc (Apart from the new Shout Lee box set which has original mono but is an upscale!!!)
When they down-mix it and say its original mono it is even more annoying and false advertising.
Will be sticking with my dvd's until such a time, if ever, a company treats these films in HD the way they deserve to be treated.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #137

Jan 2010

What about the original Warner Bros. "The Big Brawl" HD Master?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #138

Jan 2012

I much prefer the hong kong versions I don't know why they don't include the dub they are cheezy but in a good way, I love Jackie Chan dubs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America