Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$88.85
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.29
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #841

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicguy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw "Ryan's Daughter" on Blu-ray soon through the Archive.
I do hope you're right. That would be awesome.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #842
Power Member

Nov 2008
Texas

Warner Archive released a video concerning BD-R. Great to know!

http://youtu.be/2d3V7CxuY8g

Last edited by BluPat; 10-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #843

Jul 2014

I just contacted Twilight Time and they said they didnt have Crime and Punishment from Sony or more specifically they said "We don't have any info on it at this time". Does anybody know who else to contact about trying to get it released?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #844

Jul 2010
Mercer Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPat View Post
Warner Archive released a video concerning BD-R. Great to know!

http://youtu.be/2d3V7CxuY8g
Great stuff, but there should really be at least twice as many releases on that table by this point. Well, I guess I can cut them some slack as they've really stepped up their game on both title selection (more 'classic' era) and quantity recently. Here's to more success, and (hopefully) even more titles per month.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #845

May 2013
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
I dunno. Twilight Time's business model doesn't suggest that they are only interested in titles that sell out quickly. Otherwise, they'd be in serious trouble, as only about 20% of their titles have sold out. But really, it's the three-year exclusivity that's key. What would be the point of ensuring that they have a license for three years if they're hoping it sells out in three months? All the King's Men has been out only a tad over six months.

(Also keep in mind that the advantage of Crime and Punishment over All the King's Men -- or a number of other Sony titles -- is that it was never released on DVD, so it's been in limbo since the VHS and LD went OOP.)

I'm sure that the quick sellers help subsidize the slow sellers, but there's certainly no indication from their recent releases and announced/forthcoming titles that they're focusing only on "hot" or cult titles.
OK, somehow I thought that All the King's Men had been out longer. Better examples would have been Roots of Heaven or Picnic. In any case, my point was that Twilight Time is not getting rich off of older catalog titles, wiith the exception of genre or cult titles. I don't how their business works, but I expect that they would be very happy to have zero inventory of a title by the time the three years' exclusive distribution deal is up, and sooner is better than later when it comes to ROI. Yes, Crime and Punishment was not released on DVD, so that does give it a leg up, but I still think that Criterion would be a better fit. If Twilight Time does release Crime and Punishment and it does sell out in less than three years, I will eat my shoe. On YouTube.
Current pre-orders:
11/04/2014: Man of the West
11/11/2014: The Sands of Iwo Jima, Christmas in Connecticut
11/18/2014: It Happened One Night
11/25/2014: Tootsie, The Long Goodbye, Thieves Like Us
12/02/2014: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
12/09/2014: The Missouri Breaks, Buffalo Bill and the Indians
02/03/2015: Diner
Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 AM   #846
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
Reading the review of Possessed over at HTF, Warner went back & scanned the original negative
I'm certainly no expert, but watching it even with my untrained eye I suspected that - the qualities of the picture are feel very different than the DVD. Not the quality of the picture (that's a given), but the look of the film itself. It's been awhile since I spun the DVD, but I was instantly surprised during just the opening scene that the picture just had a completely different light/dark contrast, beyond just a higher definition picture.

I really hope to see more like this, I highly suspect Mildred Pierce will hit next year for the anniversary - I bet it will look spectacular.
If you have to whip out a microscope to decide if you like a Blu-ray or not, you are missing the point.

ESSENTIAL STAR WARS READING:
How Disney Bought Lucasfilm
The Special Edition Restoration Process
Old 10-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #847

Dec 2013

Also, it would be great to see some classic war titles among the future releases... Air Force and Objective Burma! are the first that come to mind, but I'd love to get especially Merrill's Marauders by the legendary Sam Fuller...
Thanks given by:
oildude (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #848
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicguy View Post
I believe what is selected for archive release has to do with what films are available without major restoration required, if a DCP exits or the film elements are in excellent condition. I have ten archive blu-ray releases and all look better than what gets released by a lot of the other companies

Alternatively, they can spend the money on the major restoration and then release it on DVD only - as was the case with The Lusty Men (yes, I'm still a bit bitter about that!).
Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #849
Special Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Alternatively, they can spend the money on the major restoration and then release it on DVD only - as was the case with The Lusty Men (yes, I'm still a bit bitter about that!).
Or they put in HD only on their Instant service, like they did with Brewster McCloud. It's like... aww man.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #850

May 2013
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
You and me both. I still hold out hope that it will see a WAC blu ray upgrade some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
Or they put in HD only on their Instant service, like they did with Brewster McCloud. It's like... aww man.
I've been binge watching Warner Archive's streaming service lately. From what I can tell with my eyes, most of these titles haven't had much if any restoration work done. Yes, they're 1080p, but that's 1080p of noise and grain. For instance, I watched Crime Wave with Sterling Hayden and Conflict with Bogart and Sydney Greenstreet. The PQ on Crime Wave was very good, except in a few spots while Conflict was noisy as hell and definitely not blu ray ready. That may also be the case with Brewster McCloud, I haven't seen it. Anyway, HD on Warner Archive streaming seems to mean 1080p; it doesn't necessarily mean remastered.
Current pre-orders:
11/04/2014: Man of the West
11/11/2014: The Sands of Iwo Jima, Christmas in Connecticut
11/18/2014: It Happened One Night
11/25/2014: Tootsie, The Long Goodbye, Thieves Like Us
12/02/2014: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
12/09/2014: The Missouri Breaks, Buffalo Bill and the Indians
02/03/2015: Diner
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors