Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Spectre (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Marvel Animated Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Sisters (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #1301
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
If his point is "prime directive may have changed after TOS era" though,...
Not may have changed, did change. You don't want to address (or even acknowledge) The Paradise Syndrome but it's really hard to look at that episode and believe the Prime Directive prohibited diverting that asteroid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I must point out that Enterprise episode where the doctor has to let millions of people die because it's a natural genocide and there is another race on the planet intended to take over. That's way before TOS in the timeline, and Enterprise is canon to the movies. So... there ya go.
I liked Enterprise well enough but wasn't a devoted viewer so I'm not sure which episode you're referencing here. But if it's 'Dear Doctor' I'm not sure your synopsis jibes with wiki's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Doctor

Archer, meanwhile, is debating whether to provide the Valakians with Warp drive, ultimately deciding against it. Upon further investigation, Phlox learns that the illness is because the Valakian's gene pool has reached a "dead end" and that the Menk are undergoing an "awakening process." He also finds that the Valakians have been stifling and underestimating the Menk. He has found a cure, but does not believe it would be ethical to administer. Archer considers how a "primary directive" would be helpful, and provides the Valakians with medicine that will diminish the symptoms for a decade, anticipating the Menks' natural evolution and new levels of understanding between them.

Sounds like Archer intervened. Assuming this is the episode you were talking about I have to wonder exactly whose case you were trying to bolster.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 11-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #1302
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
HD-DVD: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
That's a pretty far bend of the Prime Directive since that society was destined to die from the natural processes of their planet.
I like that episode for the development on Data, and his touching relationship with Sarjenka. But upon forcing myself to analyze the series of events (both via what you describe, and by refreshing my memory on Memory-Alpha's episode summary) I can only conclude that the writers of that episode had no grasp on what they were trying to make the Prime Directive represent, they just wanted to write a few ill-conceived debate scenes. Sounds like the only reason Picard changes his mind is because he has to personally listen to her "whisper in the dark," as he refers to it. So, we are obligated morally to let nature run its course (for pre-warp civilizations, that is)...unless Picard has to hear one of them screaming in terror/agony and then we are obligated morally to save them? What an ass, by any measure.

And as far as pre-vs-post-warp civilizations, either one could end up turning into a galactic menace so why would people following their logic decide that we should help either of them?
Y'know, for kids.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #1303

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
(though having a portable version goes against the originally scripted concept that you need industrial strength transporters to be able to do it, but whatever)
Somewhere, I think it's the novelization, they work around this by saying that he didn't really transport from outside Daystrom directly to Kronos. It's indicated that a relay of some kind was used, that he first transported to a ship or something in orbit.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #1304
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Sounds like Archer intervened. Assuming this is the episode you were talking about I have to wonder exactly whose case you were trying to bolster.
My recollection of Dear Doctor was that they sided with the Doc at the end, but maybe I am wrong. Either way the moral message of that episode was "it's not our right to interfere with the natural evolution of this world," which is the whole point of the prime directive, which is what I keep trying to make clear.

Anyway, you're very focused on TOS examples only (one specific one actually) and I am not a TOS guy at all, so like I said before I will bow out. Agree to disagree. Into Darkness is still a piece of shit for many other reasons either way.
Thanks given by:
eastx (11-12-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 02:25 AM   #1305

Oct 2012

Nobody's mentioned here that the box is on sale at Amazon for $63.57?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-The-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 12-01-2015, 03:01 AM   #1306
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnohighball View Post
Nobody's mentioned here that the box is on sale at Amazon for $63.57?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-The-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Why is season 3 always missing the slipcover?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #1307
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawq View Post
Why is season 3 always missing the slipcover?
Because reds never last on Classic TREK.
Thanks given by:
eastx (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #1308
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

This person would have words with you:

Looking for the following:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
- DigiBooks of the following: Exorcist, 300, Willy Wonka, Alexander, The Bridge ot River Kwai, Falling Down, Alien Anthology, Goodfellas, Cinderella, Dark Knight Rises
- Star Wars: Episodes 2 & 3's DVD Bonus Disk
- Star Wars: A Musical Journey Bonus DVD
- 2004 DVD Return of the Jedi (WideScreen)
Selling Thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=268977
Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #1309
Power Member

Nov 2013
-
-
-

Does this still come with season 3 with the slip? I know the pic shows it slipless but every unboxing I've seen has it. Anyone order it recently and not receive season 3 with the slip?
~RANKING 2016 FILMS~

Last edited by Firecrackker; 12-15-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #1310

Dec 2014
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecrackker View Post
Does this still come with season 3 with the slip? I know the pic shows it slipless but every unboxing I've seen has it. Anyone order it recently and not receive season 3 with the slip?
I honestly think these are starting to be made without slips. If true whatever in stock supply with slips will slowly dry up. You can find actual pictures of sealed sets on ebay with the sticker and all 3 seasons are slipless.

That said I recently got season 1 from Barnes & Noble and season 3 from DeepDiscount, both had slips. My season 2 is slipless but I got it used from goHastings.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #1311
Special Member

Jan 2011
OH-IO

I found this thread because I just received my Star Trek TOS "complete collection" set. Morelike the individual seasons bundled together. BUT ... relevant to recent discussion here, I did receive minty slips on all 3 seasons ! Surprised because the set was wedged in to a tiny cardboard box barely big enough, with no packing material either. Early on in it's journey the package was also re-routed due to weather, and it was visually obvious it had had a tough journey.

Anyways, it appears that if you want the set with all the slips, the "complete collection" may be the route to go. I got mine from Blowitoutahere via Rakuten. $62.66 - $16.72 Rakuten Pts = $45.94 + get another $12.53 promo (for Pts) on next Rakuten purchase.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #1312

Jul 2014

I just bought all 3 seasons brand new for an absolute steal (NZ$55 - about US$30). As I've only ever watched a handful of episodes when I was a kid, but have been very keen to watch the show for years.

Can anyone recommend which version I should start with - the enhanced or original?
Thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #1313
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongozoid View Post

Can anyone recommend which version I should start with - the enhanced or original?
Thanks
I go always with the original!
I cannot possibly watch a 60s show with updated SFX, even if they tried to be faithful to the originals.
First of all, there isn't any consistency.
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look and colors (with grain), Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, No Mercy, Runaway, Mayerling, Supergirl, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines, The Philadelphia Experiment (1984), Who's that Girl, Madonna Blond Ambition Tour
Foreign films: Sissi Trilogy, Death in Venice, Raise the Red Lantern, Cyrano, Indochine, Cavafy (1996)
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #1314

Sep 2010
Durham, NC

I am a long -time Trek fan and I love the enhanced versions. These enhancements are appropriate (NOT like Lucas' heavy touch) and make it a more enjoyable watch for me.
The top of my BD Wish List: The Changeling (1980), Ali (Director's Cut), Proof of Life, The Contender, Waitress, The Freshman (1990).
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016), Petra_Kalbrain (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #1315
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I prefer the original FX but the Remastered versions don't ruin the episodes like that other series of movies set in space. Too bad they didn't change the FX in the credits for the remastered episodes because it is kind of weird to see the new Enterprise in the episode and then when the credits come up the old one, especially for newer viewers.
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #1316

Jan 2016

Quote:
I just bought all 3 seasons brand new for an absolute steal (NZ$55 - about US$30). As I've only ever watched a handful of episodes when I was a kid, but have been very keen to watch the show for years.

Thanks
Myself having watched them all my life the original way , I now prefer the newer versions .
Didn't ruin anything and looks great
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016), HarcourtMudd (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #1317
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyank View Post
I am a long -time Trek fan and I love the enhanced versions. These enhancements are appropriate (NOT like Lucas' heavy touch) and make it a more enjoyable watch for me.
They aren't over the top as far as being revisionist, but sometimes they popped out as too fake looking or even cartooney. Which I thought was the point of redoing them in the first place (along with the fact some of the optical might have been SD... but they looked fine to me).

The original effects, of course, are also going to be inconsistent. HD is going to reveal them more. But at least they are the original effects. I thought it was a bit unnecessary to redo them. But can't really complain, as we got the choice of both.
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #1318
Blu-ray Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I don't much like the CG. They kinda treated it like it's still a model, if that makes sense, and there's just no sense of weight or scale or proper lighting to the ship. Yeah, the old opticals look like ass but then the new CG ship really does look very cartoony to me, so I'll stick with the old VFX.

Thank **** we were given the choice! That's all we would ask for in the case of any other shows with altered VFX, aspect ratio changes, new sound mixes etc.
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016), Breather (02-18-2016), CouncilSpectre (02-17-2016), HeavyHitter (02-17-2016), octagon (02-17-2016), solaris72 (02-17-2016), StingingVelvet (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #1319
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Thank **** we were given the choice! That's all we would ask for in the case of any other shows with altered VFX, aspect ratio changes, new sound mixes etc.
Never a truer word said Geoff - I don't actually mind the new effects, but I'd have been narked not to get the original versions.
I aim to misbehave....
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016), BouCoupDinkyDau (02-26-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #1320
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:

Thanks
Honestly, either way is fine. The enhanced effects are well done and relatively unobtrusive. But after a while I found myself gravitating back to the original effects.

I would just sample a few of each.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (02-18-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America