Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Pokémon: Season 1 - Indigo League (Blu-ray)
$57.05
Pretty Woman (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #3281
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Isn't VuDu Doby Vision just another form of 4K streaming?
I was talking about being able to stream Atmos from the Vudu app on XBOX ONE.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (06-28-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #3282
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
I was talking about being able to stream Atmos from the Vudu app on XBOX ONE.
What's interesting is that the Atmos demos available on VuDu do play in atmos crom my BD player VuDu app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
The world looks better through 4K Oled TV
WANTED: BOSS BABY (3D or 4K)
FOR SALE: GRAVITY-DIAMOND DELUXE EDITION LIMITED EDITION!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #3283
Power Member

Oct 2008

Good news: I had my most noticeable/impressive Auro 11.1 experience yet at The Dark Tower.

Bad news: That means I noticed the height or ceiling speakers were doing something, oh, three or four times total.

On the other hand I saw Dunkirk with IMAX's 11.1 system recently and it was a lot more impressive. Obviously it's apples to oranges because I wasn't comparing the same movies, but when Auro's been so consistently underwhelming and the IMAX system was such an obvious difference I'm pretty sure the speaker layout has something to do with it.

Auro's publicity insists they're the best because they have a three-layer system... but none of the layers have rear surrounds, the top layer is only a single mono channel for the entire ceiling, and frankly, I don't find the height speakers, which are maybe 5-10 feet above the standard speakers on the wall, make any meaningful difference in most content. That entire second layer seems superfluous to me and the compromises made with channel/speaker layout to accommodate it seriously hurt the "immersiveness" of the sound.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #3284
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

55" Sony SXRD KDS-55A2000 1080P
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #3285
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Good news: I had my most noticeable/impressive Auro 11.1 experience yet at The Dark Tower.

Bad news: That means I noticed the height or ceiling speakers were doing something, oh, three or four times total.

On the other hand I saw Dunkirk with IMAX's 11.1 system recently and it was a lot more impressive. Obviously it's apples to oranges because I wasn't comparing the same movies, but when Auro's been so consistently underwhelming and the IMAX system was such an obvious difference I'm pretty sure the speaker layout has something to do with it.

Auro's publicity insists they're the best because they have a three-layer system... but none of the layers have rear surrounds, the top layer is only a single mono channel for the entire ceiling, and frankly, I don't find the height speakers, which are maybe 5-10 feet above the standard speakers on the wall, make any meaningful difference in most content. That entire second layer seems superfluous to me and the compromises made with channel/speaker layout to accommodate it seriously hurt the "immersiveness" of the sound.
I've only heard one impressive Auro demo and that was their own in-house field recording of a field and a tractor. The rest were completely underwhelming.

Auro3D IMHO is a whole lot of nothing.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-11-2017), UFAlien (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #3286

Aug 2017

I have a Xbox One S and an Onkyo TX-NR646. I recently purchased a Yes album mixed in surround. To get the uncompressed audio, it appears that I have to use PCM out of the Xbox. Otherwise, it would have to use DTS.

So, it seems like it would be best to keep my Xbox on PCM and let it do the decoding. However, in the next year, I'd like to add some Atmos speakers. If so, it seems like I would need to manually switch the Xbox audio output from PCM to bitstream when switching between an uncompressed surround mix and an Atmos mix. Is that correct?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #3287
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
I have a Xbox One S and an Onkyo TX-NR646. I recently purchased a Yes album mixed in surround. To get the uncompressed audio, it appears that I have to use PCM out of the Xbox. Otherwise, it would have to use DTS.

So, it seems like it would be best to keep my Xbox on PCM and let it do the decoding. However, in the next year, I'd like to add some Atmos speakers. If so, it seems like I would need to manually switch the Xbox audio output from PCM to bitstream when switching between an uncompressed surround mix and an Atmos mix. Is that correct?
If it works like any other Blu-ray player after certain promised firmware updates, if you leave the XBox One S on bitstream and turn off Secondary Audio then PCM and compressed audio codecs will be output via HDMI untouched.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #3288

Jun 2017

Guys I'm thinking of getting either two or four of these Onkyo SKH-410 speakers to enable atmos.
I'm wondering how these will compare to my Monitor Audio set-up,should I be concerned of any quality difference?

And since they're not in-ceiling speakers,I assume fixing them pointing down will be fine?

These seem a better option,Imagine XA Dolby Atmos Speaker.
Sapphire 106" screen,Benq W1070 3D projector.
Samsung Ps64E8000,Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1
Denon X3300W,PS3 & Sky 1TB.

Last edited by Bullitt; 08-11-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #3289
Special Member

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
If it works like any other Blu-ray player after certain promised firmware updates, if you leave the XBox One S on bitstream and turn off Secondary Audio then PCM and compressed audio codecs will be output via HDMI untouched.
I was in communication with Microsoft and although they told me an update would allow the XBOX ONE S to decode Dolby Atmos & DTS X - that update still has not been given. I was also told that it be know when it was by the menu. There is still no mention of it within the XBOX Menu - as of yet, even though its been months. ...at lest here in the U.S.
Sony 75" UHD XBR75X940E
Marantz SR7009,
Oppo BDP-103, Oppo UDP- 203
7.3.4 Atmos System - Orb Audio Speakers
ADX Maximus Tactile Bass Shaker (2)
Axiom EP800, EARTHQUAKE Subwoofer
MINI ME P8 Subwoofer (2)
X-Box One, WiiU
Old 08-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #3290
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
I was in communication with Microsoft and although they told me an update would allow the XBOX ONE S to decode Dolby Atmos & DTS X - that update still has not been given. I was also told that it be know when it was by the menu. There is still no mention of it within the XBOX Menu - as of yet, even though its been months. ...at lest here in the U.S.
Then you're screwed. They want you to buy their next console. I would pick up a regular player instead.
Thanks given by:
ditcin (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #3291
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Guys I'm thinking of getting either two or four of these Onkyo SKH-410 speakers to enable atmos.
I'm wondering how these will compare to my Monitor Audio set-up,should I be concerned of any quality difference?

And since they're not in-ceiling speakers,I assume fixing them pointing down will be fine?

These seem a better option,Imagine XA Dolby Atmos Speaker.
I would get some SVS Prime Elevation speakers with ceiling brackets if you aren't doing in-ceiling's. Aim the angled drivers toward the main listening position.

Those Onkyo speakers are junky and they're not designed for what you have in mind. They're for pseudo Atmos by bouncing sound off the ceiling when set on top of your main Left and Rights... not a good way to experience immersive audio.

Your receiver must have Dolby Atmos and DTS: X decoding on board too.

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 08-11-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bullitt (08-11-2017), Scarriere (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #3292
Power Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
I would get some SVS Prime Elevation speakers with ceiling brackets if you aren't doing in-ceiling's.

Those Onkyo speakers are junky and they're not designed for what you have in mind. They're for pseudo Atmos by bouncing sound off the ceiling when set on top of your main Left and Rights... not a good way to experience immersive audio.

Def agree with you but if he has no other choice to use a bounce style speaker i would go with the pioneers. From reviews they sound better than the onkyo's but it will will take some dialing in to get them to sound right, may have to increase fronts and decrease the rears etc. Not the best way but will add some to the overall sound.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #3293

Jun 2017

Quote:
I would get some SVS Prime Elevation speakers with ceiling brackets if you aren't doing in-ceiling's. Aim the angled drivers toward the main listening position.

Thanks for the reply,yeah good point,I think those kinda speakers you mentioned would be better since I don't think I'll be going in-ceiling.

My Denon is atmos and X enabled.
Sapphire 106" screen,Benq W1070 3D projector.
Samsung Ps64E8000,Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1
Denon X3300W,PS3 & Sky 1TB.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion