Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #561
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Me too. I was 10 years old and since I was a big madonna fan at that time I loved the film and all the aesthetics which reminded me a bit of Tim Burton.
I love those times.. I wish I could be a kid again, and watch for the first time all these movies..
I saw it as well in the movie theater. Strangely I can't figure out when I saw it, because I had a date, and it couldn't have been in 1990, as I didn't take dates to movies when I were 14. So I think it premiered in my country, Finland, a few years later.

I ordered the Steelbook from Zavvi yesterday as it is was on offer for only 6.99! Can't wait to see the film after all these years!

Last edited by Leterface; 06-29-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #562

Jan 2013

Can't believe this didn't get an extras like a retrospective documentary or even the original making of's that were released at the time. There were tons. Not even a trailer. I know it wasn't a blockbuster on the level of Batman but it was still pretty big compared to other films of that era.

Last edited by HomerThompson; 06-29-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #563
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerThompson View Post
Can't believe this didn't get an extras like a retrospective documentary or even the original making of's that were released at the time. There were tons. Not even a trailer. I know it wasn't a blockbuster on the level of Batman but it was still pretty big compared to other films of that era.

Dick Tracy (1990) - Original Theatrical Trailer - YouTube
Thanks for sharing that. Haven't seen that trailer in ages. Almost gave me a headache
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #564

Oct 2013

Dick Tracy was really nothing like Burton's work. It is only really the Elfman score which brings it to mind. Dick Tracy is more colourful and very much influenced by the pop art movement.

Getting Elfman to score all of those films back then was a bad idea. If you turn the sound off 'Darkman', for example, you don't really get a Batman vibe at all.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #565
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Dick Tracy is one of those films that was a huge deal at the time, but seems to be sadly overlooked today. I think the studio wanted it to be as big as Batman, and pretty much threw it to the wolves when it wasn't (see also: The Rocketeer). But it's a perfect screen translation of the world of Chester Gould's comic strip, and it deserves to be more widely seen than it is.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #566

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Dick Tracy is one of those films that was a huge deal at the time, but seems to be sadly overlooked today. I think the studio wanted it to be as big as Batman, and pretty much threw it to the wolves when it wasn't (see also: The Rocketeer). But it's a perfect screen translation of the world of Chester Gould's comic strip, and it deserves to be more widely seen than it is.
That is my impression of it too. It underperformed so it was kind of forgotten. But they were being unrealistic if they thought it was going to compete with Batman in terms of box office. Who was aware of Dick Tracy under the age of 40 back then? Only the boomers would have known Dick Tracy. Madonna was probably brought in to attract the younger crowd, but the decision to cast her was a big mistake. She looks right for the part but she can't act, and i think that really hurt the film in the long run.

Anyway, I would have loved to have seen more Dick Tracy films and special editions dvd's and blu-rays but unfortunately we have to settle for bare bones for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromet1990 View Post
I always wondered why Dick Tracy got shit on, It's a damn good film.
It has a bit of a reputation problem because it wasn't a huge hit and the fact that Madonna is in it doesn't help either. Much of the negativity you hear surrounding the film today is the result of received opinions that haven't been revised over the years. It's now seen as the corny old comic book film, the 'Madonna' film(i.e crap by association), the box office failure. Even most of the blu-ray reviews I saw just regurgitated the same tired old views. There has been very little real effort to reappraise the film, even in the era of home video.

If you take the film for what it is, and don't go expected some Nolan inspired comic book film, it's a damn good example of that kind of film making.

I was hoping that after Sin City there might have been renewed interest in Dick Tracy but it never happened.

Last edited by malakaheso; 07-05-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #567
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

I've definitely described Dick Tracy as a kind of proto-Sin City in the years since the latter film's release. Obviously, it's not a panel-by-panel reconstruction of a specific Tracy story or stories, like Sin City was...but in terms of bringing a world to life in a way that is completely stylized in keeping with the look and tone of the source material, and "realism" be damned, Dick Tracy was far ahead of its time. Long before Sin City, long before 300, Dick Tracy sought to bring a comic-strip image to life in live action, in the most "comic strip" way imaginable. The "Sunday Edition" color palette is a stroke of production design genius, the matte paintings were fantastic, and the make-up that brought Gould's grotesque rogues gallery to life was first-rate. Not to mention the all-star cast. People tend to forget that Al Pacino was nominated for an Oscar for his role in Dick Tracy...and that the film actually won more Oscars than any comic-based film before or since.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #568

Sep 2011

Beautiful to look at but it does drag at times.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #569

Sep 2014

Does anyone know if the Digital Copy on this is still valid?
If anyone has a spare copy, please PM me, we could trade!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #570
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN3000 View Post
If anyone has a spare copy, please PM me, we could trade!
It's one that requires the disc.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #571
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN3000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's one that requires the disc.
True, but that's not what he asked. The packaging says "subject to expiration" but doesn't give a date; I haven't found one either. More than likely it's still valid; Disney codes so far usually haven't expired.

The downside: You're still limited to iTunes or Windows Media in SD; Disney has not yet extended DMA to Touchstone/Hollywood titles.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, TMT 6, PDVD 11)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; Galaxy Tab 3 Lite; Moto G; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #572
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
True, but that's not what he asked. The packaging says "subject to expiration" but doesn't give a date; I haven't found one either. More than likely it's still valid; Disney codes so far usually haven't expired.

The downside: You're still limited to iTunes or Windows Media in SD; Disney has not yet extended DMA to Touchstone/Hollywood titles.
Well since he wants to trade for it I thought he should know it would be worthless without the disc, as far as I know. I tend to give away my single movie codes but I didn't bother with Dick Tracy because it needs the disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America