Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Eastbound & Down: The Complete… $7.99 (46% sold out)
Soon: Raiders of the Lost Ark $3.99 ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$7.99
16 hrs ago
Captain Phillips (Blu-ray)
$5.99
10 hrs ago
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$7.99
8 hrs ago
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Blu-ray)
$3.99
9 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie (Blu-ray)
$8.99
15 hrs ago
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$3.99
19 hrs ago
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
The King's Speech (Blu-ray)
$3.99
15 hrs ago
Noah (Blu-ray)
$9.00
48 min ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
You're Next (Blu-ray)
$5.99
13 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.99
 
Shaun of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #401
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
572
129
3
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
My current player cannot be modified, which at the time, I didn't look in to it enough.

But, I am not going to buy a cheap arse player just to get region free playback.

When I get round to purchasing a new player (when I have the appropriate funds) I will then make sure that it is region free, possibly an Oppo player.
I wouldn't trade my Oppo for a watered down region-free player - and reliable quality reports on RF players are hard to find (and/or trust ). You can buy a physical hack for Oppos on eBay for $60, but it voids the warranty and I've never been willing/able to trust trying it since I couldn't afford to replace my unit at present ... Sorry, I had to go hug my Oppo.
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.


Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #402
Tech-UK Tech-UK is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Tech-UK's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
UK
81
349
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I wouldn't trade my Oppo for a watered down region-free player - and reliable quality reports on RF players are hard to find (and/or trust ). You can buy a physical hack for Oppos on eBay for $60, but it voids the warranty and I've never been willing/able to trust trying it since I couldn't afford to replace my unit at present ... Sorry, I had to go hug my Oppo.
There are some really good RF mods for the Oppo players, plenty of threads and posts about them in the BD player section.

I am holding off buying any HT kit for now, until 4K kit becomes available. But I have a soft spot for Pioneer kit, so it will depend on if they release any 4K players. If not, Oppo it may be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #403
Rory Rory is online now
Active Member
 
Rory's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
2
Default

I've held off buying a region-free player for one reason, the sure and certain knowledge that the day after I buy the player, the titles I buy it for will be released in my region and in superior transfers. There's only a few titles that I'd get a region-free player for and they're really not that important.

To get back to PATTON.... I bought the original DNR heavy release, then bought it again for the digibook (and gave away the first disc), then I bought the remastered version, put it in the digibook and threw away the older disc. On top of that, I bought PATTON twice on LD (pan & scan then letterboxed), and twice on VHS. That's just one story on one of my favorite films. I have similar multi-purchase histories with many other titles. I should start a thread for stories from others on how many times you've "dipped" for a certain movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #404
Blu-21 Blu-21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Blu-21's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Australia
61
1
Default

At the risk of going OT, what makes Oppo Blu-Ray players so good? I remember Oppo DVD players being the standard back in the prime of the DVD era also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #405
Tech-UK Tech-UK is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Tech-UK's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
UK
81
349
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
At the risk of going OT, what makes Oppo Blu-Ray players so good? I remember Oppo DVD players being the standard back in the prime of the DVD era also.
Build quality, feature set, support, reference video and audio output. The whole bit.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-21 (09-15-2014), Early Memphis (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #406
Blu-21 Blu-21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Blu-21's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Australia
61
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
Build quality, feature set, support, reference video and audio output. The whole bit.
Fair enough about build, feature set and support, but I was under the assumption that in terms of pure video and audio output quality that pretty much all BD players were created equal. I mean I can understand different players giving different results for better or for worse with analog video formats like VHS and Laserdisc, but in the digital age of DVD and BD I was under the understanding that apart from upscaling, there isn't a whole lot in it when it comes to the consistory and stability of video and audio from player to player especially via HDMI.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #407
Tech-UK Tech-UK is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Tech-UK's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
UK
81
349
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Fair enough about build, feature set and support, but I was under the assumption that in terms of pure video and audio output quality that pretty much all BD players were created equal. I mean I can understand different players giving different results for better or for worse with analog video formats like VHS and Laserdisc, but in the digital age of DVD and BD I was under the understanding that apart from upscaling, there isn't a whole lot in it when it comes to the consistory and stability of video and audio from player to player especially via HDMI.
Every Blu-ray player should output what's on the disc. Key word being 'should'. The Oppo guarantees reference output. As long as you do not alter the image settings or use any DVP.

With regards to audio, it depends where in the chain the digital to analog conversion occurs. The Oppo players that end with a 5, have extremely good DAC's/audio stages in which case, beat most A/V receivers and other players with analog outputs.

Outputting audio digitally i.e. over HDMI should again be the same across all players, but feature set depending, dictates the feature set supported. i.e. some players do not support TrueHD decoding (rare these days, but cheap players may not support TrueHD), in which case if you're decoding within the player, lossy DD is used.

Last edited by Tech-UK; 09-15-2014 at 12:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #408
Blu-21 Blu-21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Blu-21's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Australia
61
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
Every Blu-ray player should output what's on the disc. Key word being 'should'. The Oppo guarantees reference output. As long as you do not alter the image settings or use any DVP.

With regards to audio, it depends where in the chain the digital to analog conversion occurs. The Oppo players that end with a 5, have extremely good DAC's/audio stages in which case, beat most A/V receivers and other players with analog outputs.

Outputting audio digitally i.e. over HDMI should again be the same across all players, but feature set depending, dictates the feature set supported. i.e. some players do not support TrueHD decoding (rare these days, but cheap players may not support TrueHD), in which case if you're decoding within the player, lossy DD is used.
Informative and interesting as usual, Tech-UK. Thanks for the detailed response.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Tech-UK (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #409
Early Memphis Early Memphis is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
572
129
3
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
At the risk of going OT, what makes Oppo Blu-Ray players so good? I remember Oppo DVD players being the standard back in the prime of the DVD era also.
I've got a BDP-103 and besides everything Tech mentioned, my player has never failed to play any disc. I'll see threads where this problem & that made discs unplayable for this & that player - no problems here!

Tech : Oppos ending in 5, pardon? And DVP (digital video processors)?
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.


Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #410
Tech-UK Tech-UK is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Tech-UK's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
UK
81
349
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I've got a BDP-103 and besides everything Tech mentioned, my player has never failed to play any disc. I'll see threads where this problem & that made discs unplayable for this & that player - no problems here!

Tech : Oppos ending in 5, pardon? And DVP (digital video processors)?
Hehe. Certainly the Oppo's ending in three, 83, 93, 103, do have very good DAC's, but the 83 (Nu-force edition), 95 and 105 go that extra bit, in terms of analog audio.

DVP - Digital video Processing, or in reference to the 10xD models, Darbee Visual Presence.

Both meaning's of DVP will alter what's on the disc.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (09-15-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 AM   #411
UseY0ur1llusi0n UseY0ur1llusi0n is offline
Special Member
 
UseY0ur1llusi0n's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
676
10
2
Default

Patton - Remastered (2012)

The Longest Day - Remastered (Never)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Donat96 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #412
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Suspended
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
915
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
The Longest Day - Remastered (Never)
Yep, sadly that's still the case. According to Fox Japan that was actually a 4K transfer, but some moron destroyed it with noise reduction.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #413
anthonyls anthonyls is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2008
Berkeley, CA
5
Default

Can anyone tell me if the BD of Patton in this box set is the 2012 Remastered version? I can't seem to figure it out.
The BD was released in 2014.



Last edited by anthonyls; 11-21-2014 at 01:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #414
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->90 SteelBooks™--------->146 UV-------->284
39
1736
137
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyls View Post
Can anyone tell me if the BD of Patton in this box set is the 2012 Remastered version? I can't seem to figure it out.
The BD was released in 2014.

[Show spoiler]
I'm not 100% sure which disc it is, but you could always email Fox the ISBN number of the set and they should be able to tell you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.