Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Continuum: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Homeland: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
American Horror Story: Asylum (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Rose (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Continuum: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole / Hugo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kung Fu Panda / Kung Fu Panda 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
American Horror Story: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #1581

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
I like the blu-ray's color timing except for the exorcism. I know it was color timed by Roizman and Friedkin but the color of the exorcism on the 1997 DVD is the color I grew up with. They did, however, tone down the blue vs the 1998 25th anniversary and the 2000 version you've never seen. Its now an aqua color vs the heavy blue color it was in those 2 editions. The blu-ray would be perfect if it had the natural color timing during the exorcism scene IMO.

I had just put this in my previous post when I saw yours, so I plopped it in here instead:

The blu-ray represents the first time the revised color timing clicked for me in those scenes; it's now subtly surreal--not over-cranked as with the previous releases--almost as if the battle is being fought on another plane. Not being overdone, it doesn't clash with the groundedness of the rest of the film.

The precision and control of digital color grading and blu-ray has opened up the can of worms of whether directors should use the tools at their disposal to create versions of their films that might be more in line with their original intent than the original releases.

Controversy averted, I guess, as long as the original versions are made available. Which is why we have a minor one with the blu-ray, as faithful as it looks in other departments.

Last edited by AllOuttaBubbleGum; 01-25-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
Dylan34 (02-04-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #1582
Special Member

Nov 2008
In the Home Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOuttaBubbleGum View Post
Thanks; I envy your chance to talk with "The Friedkin." Did the Paul Bateson situation come up? A most uncanny tie-in to the themes of Cruising, which I've never actually seen.

My VHS is in line with the '97 disc, albeit for a bit of a red push, so I'm glad to have it as a reference of another stage in The Exorcist's evolution.
Interesting you mention him, because that was a big topic of discussion.

Cruising was a murder mystery set in the S&M world and it was based on a series of murders that had happened. There's a scene in The Exorcist where there's an arteriogram. They're trying to determine if the arteries of Regan's brain are damaged and it was done at NYU Medical Center by an actual neuropsychiatric surgeon and his assistant. The assistant was a guy named Paul Bateson.

About two or three years after The Exorcist came out, Friedkin was reading The New York Daily News and sees Paul Bateson's picture in the paper and there's a long story of how he's suspected of having murdered eight or nine people in the S&M clubs in downtown New York. His lawyer's name was in the article and Friedkin called his lawyer - Bateson was at Riker's Island, which is a holding facility where he was awaiting trial and he asked his lawyer if Bateson would see him.

He went to Riker's and saw Paul Bateson. He asked him if he had murdered these people and he said, "I remember murdering this one guy Addison Burrell", who was the theater critic for Variety. Bateson picked him up in a place called The Mineshaft in lower Manhattan, took him home, they took a lot of drugs, and he wound up hitting him over the head with a frying pan and then cutting him up and putting the parts of Burrell's body in body bags that were found in the East River. Though Bateson worked with a brain surgeon, he himself was not a brain surgeon because the body bags all had little indications that they were from the NYU Medical Center and that's how the police tracked him.
Police offered him a deal, if he would confess to eight to twelve of these murders, they would shorten his sentence, he was released from prison about eight years ago.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore so if you have any questions shoot me a PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #1583

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
Interesting you mention him, because that was a big topic of discussion.

I wondered if that might come up, what with it informing the later film, at least from a research standpoint (according to what I read). So weird to have Bateson become a fixture of discussion, baked right into those frames of The Exorcist; haunting.

I appreciate the reply; if I think of anything else you might have had a chance to pick Friedkin's brain about, I'll fire off that PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #1584

Jun 2013

I'm looking to pick one of three versions of this up, as they are all priced about the same. I have to choose between the steelbook, the digibook, and the 40th anniversary edition. First and foremost, I'm a steelbook collector, but I have to admit I love the packaging for the 40th edition as well, so I'm torn. It appears all editions share the same disc/transfer, so would it be worth spending $5 more the 40th edition, just for slightly preferred packaging? Are the couple of extras worth it?
Hates people who have a home theater gallery with zero photos of an actual home theater!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #1585
Power Member

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
I'm looking to pick one of three versions of this up, as they are all priced about the same. I have to choose between the steelbook, the digibook, and the 40th anniversary edition. First and foremost, I'm a steelbook collector, but I have to admit I love the packaging for the 40th edition as well, so I'm torn. It appears all editions share the same disc/transfer, so would it be worth spending $5 more the 40th edition, just for slightly preferred packaging? Are the couple of extras worth it?
I have the digibook and the 40th Anniversary. The couple of extras are nice to have but the digibook is simply awesome. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Plus, it's getting harder to find.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #1586
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
I have the digibook and the 40th Anniversary. The couple of extras are nice to have but the digibook is simply awesome. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Plus, it's getting harder to find.
I agree, the DigiBook is hands down the nicest packaging.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #1587

Aug 2010
Uranus

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
I agree, the DigiBook is hands down the nicest packaging.
I agree also.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #1588

Jul 2014

Quote:
I like the blu-ray's color timing except for the exorcism. I know it was color timed by Roizman and Friedkin but the color of the exorcism on the 1997 DVD is the color I grew up with. They did, however, tone down the blue vs the 1998 25th anniversary and the 2000 version you've never seen. Its now an aqua color vs the heavy blue color it was in those 2 editions. The blu-ray would be perfect if it had the natural color timing during the exorcism scene IMO.
That was my reaction too. Film looked great all up until the exorcism then it crossed over into cartoon land and I was completely taken out of the moment. It's such an affectation and it's jarring (not in a good way)to suddenly see it go this hyper stylized when everything before had been more or less 'natural'.

Although I saw the film in re-release in '79, I can't remember the characteristics of that final act, but I suspect given how prevalent the color purple was in all the key art, that if it was timed to be slightly (key word- slightly) stylized in the exorcism, it would have leaned towards violet rather than aqua. But then again every time I see them impose aqua/teal coloring on a '70-'90's film it invariably looks unnatural and ridiculous to me.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #1589

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mose Harper View Post
That was my reaction too. Film looked great all up until the exorcism then it crossed over into cartoon land and I was completely taken out of the moment. It's such an affectation and it's jarring (not in a good way)to suddenly see it go this hyper stylized when everything before had been more or less 'natural'.

Although I saw the film in re-release in '79, I can't remember the characteristics of that final act, but I suspect given how prevalent the color purple was in all the key art, that if it was timed to be slightly (key word- slightly) stylized in the exorcism, it would have leaned towards violet rather than aqua. But then again every time I see them impose aqua/teal coloring on a '70-'90's film it invariably looks unnatural and ridiculous to me.
The color timing of the film changed from the 25th Anniversary on. It never had that look previous. The tone was natural throughout. Friedkin ruined the color in hope to jump on the train of popularity which was inherent to more "modern" film being produced. Films, especially from the 70's didn't use that style. Back then any tints if not applied were done either by filter or done later in the lab. Since SOUTH PACFIC major studios tended to stay away from that style. Tints applied though labs processing increased the budget and were avoided. This is before photoshop and digital editing.

Although the color has been slightly corrected during the exorcism sequence it still isn't back to the way it was originally.

The color purple on the poster art was chosen to relate to the purple stole worn my the priest.
Samsung 55" OLED KN55S9C
Marantz SR7009,
Oppo BDP-103
11.2 System w/Clark Synthesis TST429 Platinum Tactile Transducer, Mirage Speakers (7) OMD-5, (2) Nanosat® Prestige for Atmos
Axiom Subwoofer EP600
X-Box One, WiiU
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America