Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #341
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOfOwnage View Post
The Paramount release had a slipcover? That's news to me, because I received mine on release day, and it didn't have one. I had no idea until now.
Guess you got screwed then.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS FAN FOR LIFE!
Vizio 50" (M501d-A2R) LED 1080p 240Hz Smart 3D HDTV
Sony 160gb Slim PS3
Microsoft 160gb Xbox 360
Sony (STR-KS370) Home Theater System
Letterboxd
Old 10-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #342

Aug 2009
London, Ontario, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to GuyOfOwnage Send a message via AIM to GuyOfOwnage Send a message via MSN to GuyOfOwnage Send a message via Yahoo to GuyOfOwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Beautiful Tragic View Post
Guess you got screwed then.

Well, shit. Looks like I'm headed over to the slipcover thread to rectify this
Old 10-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #343
Power Member

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOfOwnage View Post
Well, shit. Looks like I'm headed over to the slipcover thread to rectify this
While I didn't see this title in many stores until a month or 2 past release date, I have never seen the slipcover in person either. I'm pretty sure it's a scarce one as I have no problem seeing the BD at most places now (everywhere but Best Buy has had or still has it).
Old 10-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #344
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Colorado, USA
-

My copy from Amazon finally showed up on Thursday....oddly enough the office cat that has been hiding (due to too many customers/strangers being around) did as well. Coincidence?
Looking for a Twilight Zone Season 3 Blu Slip! Hook me up!!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #345
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011

Church is the real star of this movie.
Money is the anthem of success. So before we go out, what's your address?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JULFqMqRE
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #346

May 2011

Nice BD with decent PQ and SQ.

I saw this movie in theaters when i was 7 3 times and became one of my fave King movies then i read the book when i was 8 and loved it.

Would anyone consider this movie and it's sequel and the book to be "zombie" or "ghoul" stuff? i mean Gage, Timmy, Rachel, Gus, that punk, the star mom etc. are they zombies or ghouls or are they dead bodies reanimated by evil spirits/demons and possessed and are more in the tradition of the REC creatures and the Deadites?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #347
Power Member

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenOfEarth View Post
Nice BD with decent PQ and SQ.

I saw this movie in theaters when i was 7 3 times and became one of my fave King movies then i read the book when i was 8 and loved it.

Would anyone consider this movie and it's sequel and the book to be "zombie" or "ghoul" stuff? i mean Gage, Timmy, Rachel, Gus, that punk, the star mom etc. are they zombies or ghouls or are they dead bodies reanimated by evil spirits/demons and possessed and are more in the tradition of the REC creatures and the Deadites?
I consider the sequel to be comedy, the first is serious. Not sure if zombie is a better description than reanimated dead or possessed (possessed is the least likely of list IMO, cuz they died first making them either zombie or reanimated). That's kinda splitting hairs.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #348

May 2011

So basically they are possessed by the Wendigo right? in the book it said that a Wendigo soured the ground and cursed it forever.

And would you compare the PS undead to the Deadites? and besides turning people into cannibals, do Wendigos also bring the dead back to life?

Last edited by DenOfEarth; 03-05-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #349
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just found a new copy of this with the lenticular slipcover!

I can't wait to check this out on Blu, one of the most unnerving films ever made.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Jurassic Park 2. Psycho (1960) 3. The Godfather Part II 4. There Will Be Blood 5. The Godfather 6. Zodiac 7. Thief 8. Blade Runner 9. Halloween (1978) 10. Drive 11. The Tree Of Life 12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 13. Her 14. Bambi 15. Mean Streets 16. Casablanca 17. Pan's Labyrinth 18. On The Waterfront 19. Paris, Texas 20. The Usual Suspects
My Letterboxd
Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #350
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDawn View Post
Sorry to bump this thread, but I just found a new copy of this with the lenticular slipcover!

I can't wait to check this out on Blu, one of the most unnerving films ever made.
Great find!

I agree. I love this movie because it isn't afraid to GO THERE.
They Live. We Sleep.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #351
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
Great find!

I agree. I love this movie because it isn't afraid to GO THERE.
Exactly, it's really unsettling and disturbing. It's one of my top 20 horror films because of it's bleak and atmospheric tone. Sure, it's cheesy and dated at points, but the scares work just as well on repeat viewings.

This is coming from a viewer who only saw Pet Sematary for the first time last October.
1. Jurassic Park 2. Psycho (1960) 3. The Godfather Part II 4. There Will Be Blood 5. The Godfather 6. Zodiac 7. Thief 8. Blade Runner 9. Halloween (1978) 10. Drive 11. The Tree Of Life 12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 13. Her 14. Bambi 15. Mean Streets 16. Casablanca 17. Pan's Labyrinth 18. On The Waterfront 19. Paris, Texas 20. The Usual Suspects
My Letterboxd
Old 03-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #352
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Sure, it's cheesy and dated at points...
Not really. It actually manages to stay away from things that would date it (like obvious 80's styles or music), and aside from the slightly goofy looking Gauge doll that gets thrown around once or twice I find nothing cheesy about it at all.

Good story.
Good script.
Good tension.
Good performances.
Likable characters.
Good F/X.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #353
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
Not really. It actually manages to stay away from things that would date it (like obvious 80's styles or music), and aside from the slightly goofy looking Gauge doll that gets thrown around once or twice I find nothing cheesy about it at all.

Good story.
Good script.
Good tension.
Good performances.
Likable characters.
Good F/X.
You know when I think about it, the only part that I found cheesy was the
[Show spoiler]noooo scene after Gage's first death. Yet, that's only as a result of how the acting was handled.

I still find some of the moments at the very beginning to be a bit hokey, but it's all really minor flaws to a stunning horror film.
My Letterboxd
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #354
Expert Member

Apr 2011
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Exactly, it's really unsettling and disturbing. It's one of my top 20 horror films because of it's bleak and atmospheric tone. Sure, it's cheesy and dated at points, but the scares work just as well on repeat viewings.

This is coming from a viewer who only saw Pet Sematary for the first time last October.
It's one of my favorite horror films as well. I had visited Maine last summer and did some location scouting from the film and went to mount hope cemetary where gage was buried and it was one cool experience!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #355
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsynth View Post
It's one of my favorite horror films as well. I had visited Maine last summer and did some location scouting from the film and went to mount hope cemetary where gage was buried and it was one cool experience!
That's amazing!

The locations were perfect in this film, everything felt so small and claustrophobic.
My Letterboxd
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #356
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Always enjoyed this movie. I saw it on opening night back in 1989 as I was in 11th grade. It was mostly high school kids in the audience and everyone was really scared. It was a a lot of fun. The movie still holds up well and has a great creepy atmosphere - respectable older transfer too especially for Paramount.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.1 gain, 2:35:1 CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Panasonic 65" VT60 plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #357
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
You know when I think about it, the only part that I found cheesy was the
[Show spoiler]noooo scene after Gage's first death. Yet, that's only as a result of how the acting was handled.
[Show spoiler]You must not have children.
I find that scene completely heart wrenching and totally believable.

I do agree on one acting point though, and that is the young girl playing the sister does overplay her part just a tad, but given how flat or annoying a lot of child actors can be, I'll take a little melodrama over an unconvincing turn any day of the week.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #358
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
[Show spoiler]You must not have children.
I find that scene completely heart wrenching and totally believable.
[Show spoiler]Sure, it's an utterly devastating and affecting scene, I just couldn't buy the "nooooo" moment. I don't laugh at it or anything, it's just a moment that rubbed me the wrong way.
My Letterboxd
Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #359
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
[Show spoiler]Sure, it's an utterly devastating and affecting scene, I just couldn't buy the "nooooo" moment. I don't laugh at it or anything, it's just a moment that rubbed me the wrong way.
Maybe it's a grieving thing. I work in medicine. People grieve differently, and I've noticed over the years that people will sometimes get annoyed with members of their family that grieve in a way they do not feel is normal. Everyone has their own internal perception of what they think is correct on this issue. Some cultures grieve very loudly and openly, others very silently and withdrawn. But regardless of the culture, there are always variances between individuals.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #360
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Maybe it's a grieving thing. I work in medicine. People grieve differently, and I've noticed over the years that people will sometimes get annoyed with members of their family that grieve in a way they do not feel is normal. Everyone has their own internal perception of what they think is correct on this issue. Some cultures grieve very loudly and openly, others very silently and withdrawn. But regardless of the culture, there are always variances between individuals.
That makes sense.

Anyways, I think I will put in this Blu-ray tonight and check out the PQ.
My Letterboxd
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America