Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hidden Figures (DVD)
$4.99
Miracle on 34th Street (DVD)
$4.99
Logan Lucky (DVD)
$9.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$16.99
The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature (DVD)
$11.49
Crocodile Dundee / Crocodile Dundee II Double Feature (DVD)
$5.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (DVD)
$16.99
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (DVD)
$13.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (DVD)
$16.99
Why Him? (DVD)
$4.99
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (DVD)
$4.99
The Emoji Movie (DVD)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #21
rexcrk rexcrk is offline
Power Member
 
rexcrk's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Not gonna be in a big hurry to buy this when it's a step back to regular DVD. I have all the existing seasons and on Blu-Ray where available, so I'll start watching those in order and then buy the DVD of season 18 only if there's no Blu-Ray out by then.
Yeah, I get what youíre saying, but please donít try to ďtake a standĒ with this.

In an ideal world, Fox would look at any lack of sales as ďoh theyíre not buying it on DVD, must mean they want Blu-ray! Start making Ďem!Ē, but Iím sure itíll be more ďoh itís not selling... I guess people just donít want The Simpsons on DVD anymore... back to using the app!Ē
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #22
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2013
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Not gonna be in a big hurry to buy this when it's a step back to regular DVD. I have all the existing seasons and on Blu-Ray where available, so I'll start watching those in order and then buy the DVD of season 18 only if there's no Blu-Ray out by then.
Good luck waiting for that Blu-ray to release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #23
ElectricPeterTork ElectricPeterTork is offline
Special Member
 
ElectricPeterTork's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
685
1074
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry the Nomad View Post
It's now $24.99 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...02deffb15a7472

Mine has yet to ship, but Al Jean got his hands on a copy and posted some really blurry photos. I can't tell how it is packaged.



Looks like it could be a slipcover over a standard DVD case, and they dropped the accordion style packaging in a cost cutting measure.
Nope.

It's not accordion style anymore, but it's still a foldout book style with the discs slipped into pockets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #24
Barry the Nomad Barry the Nomad is offline
Active Member
 
Barry the Nomad's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
Philly, PA
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
Nope.

It's not accordion style anymore, but it's still a foldout book style with the discs slipped into pockets.
Oh, okay, so like the recent Futurama releases:

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
ElectricPeterTork ElectricPeterTork is offline
Special Member
 
ElectricPeterTork's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
685
1074
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry the Nomad View Post
Oh, okay, so like the recent Futurama releases:

Not quite.

Now that I've been able to compare 17 and 18, they're mostly the same, except the way they fold out.

Season 18 opens up like a book, the way seasons 1-5 did. However, the discs are still slid inside the book and not visible, like season 17.

Season 17 opened up like an accordion.

That's about the only difference. Mostly the same horrible packaging.

Oh, and S18 is about an inch wider across than the rest of the seasons.

Last edited by ElectricPeterTork; 12-05-2017 at 04:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 PM   #26
rexcrk rexcrk is offline
Power Member
 
rexcrk's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
201
Default

Yeah Iím not saying Iím not thrilled to have this, but they definitely messed up with this a little bit.

There are no character pics on the spine, so itís just black with the logo on it and ďThe Eighteenth SeasonĒ.

And of course the discs are still stored in difficult cardboard packaging.

But what really drives me crazy is that itís wider than all the other ones, so it sticks out on the shelf. Why on earth would they do that? Nothing else is that wide. Iíd like to believe this was a mistake, because how could anyone not notice? And who would do that on purpose?

Itís still much better than nothing, but, jeez, they could have done a slightly better job.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #27
KillaCam KillaCam is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
KillaCam's Avatar
 
Oct 2014
2663
241
75
Default

Picked this up tonight from Best Buy (price matched Amazon). Did my part in supporting the release. Hope they continue with at least the DVDs...
LG OLED65C7P - LG SJ9+H7x2 (Dolby Atmos) - Oppo UDP 203
Samsung UN55JS7000 - Samsung HW J550 - Samsung UBD K8500

Digital Codes For Sale
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 AM   #28
Comicfan Comicfan is online now
Active Member
 
Aug 2016
Default

Picked this up this morning.My Best buy only got four copies one of which I got.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #29
Barry the Nomad Barry the Nomad is offline
Active Member
 
Barry the Nomad's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
Philly, PA
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
Yeah Iím not saying Iím not thrilled to have this, but they definitely messed up with this a little bit.

There are no character pics on the spine, so itís just black with the logo on it and ďThe Eighteenth SeasonĒ.

And of course the discs are still stored in difficult cardboard packaging.

But what really drives me crazy is that itís wider than all the other ones, so it sticks out on the shelf. Why on earth would they do that? Nothing else is that wide. Iíd like to believe this was a mistake, because how could anyone not notice? And who would do that on purpose?

Itís still much better than nothing, but, jeez, they could have done a slightly better job.
I don't see how they messed up. Missing two character heads on the spine does not detract from the DVD content.

It is strange how it is wider, but I assume it is because it gives the discs more room on the sides in the case. Anyway, how deep are your shelves? It is entirely possible to push it back a half an inch and they all line up.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #30
Corey31 Corey31 is online now
Special Member
 
Aug 2010
Ontario, Canada
390
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry the Nomad View Post
I don't see how they messed up. Missing two character heads on the spine does not detract from the DVD content.

It is strange how it is wider, but I assume it is because it gives the discs more room on the sides in the case. Anyway, how deep are your shelves? It is entirely possible to push it back a half an inch and they all line up.

It's an OCD collector nitpick. Every other season has two characters on the spine.

I'm not hating on him calling it that, I agree with him.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
esteban≤ (12-08-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #31
rexcrk rexcrk is offline
Power Member
 
rexcrk's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
201
Default

Yeah with the black of character heads on the spine... itís not a deal-breaker obviously, it just seems thereís no reason NOT to put them, when the previous eighteen releases had them. Maybe it was a cost-cutting measure? Though I canít imagine it saved them THAT much money.

Again, all that stuff is just nitpicky, Iím just glad to have more of the show on DVD. Now as long as they can get season 19 out, Iíll be happy (because at least we wonít have that gap between seasons 17 and 20 lol).

Did they record the commentaries for season 19 already? If they have, they really ought to release the DVD of that in a few months rather than a whole year, they kind of owe us that ;P
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #32
Rick Grimes Rick Grimes is offline
Special Member
 
Rick Grimes's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
831
10
Default

Aye carumba! Thank you Fox, but also...F*ck you too Fox!

If wasnít such a huge Simpsons fan, I would boycott this title, on general principle.
I f*cking hate DVD.
Especially since I am in a PAL country (Australia). Now I have to choose whether to go back to PAL speedup (on sale here) OR NTSC shudder (import from US).
I have a US BD player that uses 3/2 pulldown convert to 24fps, but it is not true 1080p.

With Blu I could watch The Simpsons at the right speed and pitch AND with an upscale that was top quality.
Blu-Ray was an international medium, that all could enjoy.
With Fox stuck in the dark ages, one big irony here is: The Simpsons 18th Season DVD was released the same day as the South Park S1-5 Blu-Ray.. Thank you very much Paramount. Their ordered and on their way.

Fox is notrious at dissing Blu-Ray. So, with Archer (doing only DVD from S7), I stopped buying the series.
Same with other ďLetís stop Blu/Only DVD titlesĒ like The Americans (only bought S1). The Bridge S1 etc., I would have bought Wayward Pines had it got a BD release.

So, once more with feeling F#Äk you Fox for no Blu-Ray.

I have thanked you for the DVD, but I should I take it back, as your using a medium that is 20 years old. Weíre in the day and age of TV on 4K BD for fracks sake.
Makes no f*cking sense, even if it is more cost effective.
Itís 2017, not 2014. There would be more people now that would choose Blu nowadays. You suck Fox!

Hopefully, you will see the light in 2019 (Season 21 release).
A season that was done entirely in native HD. Until then, allow me to use a phrase you should know well and I suggest you do. EAT MY SHORTS!
Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Streaming sucks!

Respect the filmmakers intentions; Respect the the OAR
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #33
Barry the Nomad Barry the Nomad is offline
Active Member
 
Barry the Nomad's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
Philly, PA
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
Yeah with the black of character heads on the spine... itís not a deal-breaker obviously, it just seems thereís no reason NOT to put them, when the previous eighteen releases had them. Maybe it was a cost-cutting measure? Though I canít imagine it saved them THAT much money.

Again, all that stuff is just nitpicky, Iím just glad to have more of the show on DVD. Now as long as they can get season 19 out, Iíll be happy (because at least we wonít have that gap between seasons 17 and 20 lol).

Did they record the commentaries for season 19 already? If they have, they really ought to release the DVD of that in a few months rather than a whole year, they kind of owe us that ;P
I hear ya. I think after the "no more DVDs" announcement, and them finally bringing them back, I've cooled on my usual OCDVD tendencies. To be honest, at most I was expecting a plastic case and static menus, so what we got is actually quite a surprise. I agree though, lack of spine heads is strange, as they could have easily put Legs and Louie on one side, and Don Vittorio and Michael D'Amico on the other.

Season 19 commentaries HAVE been recorded. So there is hope. To be honest, I think the DVDs will continue, but Al Jean just does not want to fully commit to saying "they're back from now on". I mean, what better way to push copies than the notion that if they don't sell, season 19+ is not happening.

Lest we forget, TVShowsOnDVD.com's article on how the DVD sales were actually very good: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Simpson...examined/21379

My guess is, cutting the blu-ray option, scaling back a little on the animated menus, and potentially producing less copies of season 18 than previous seasons saved them money to make it a more profitable release at lower (but still high) sales numbers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:05 AM   #34
Hardback247 Hardback247 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Mar 2013
2
Default

Could someone please do an unboxing?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #35
mzupeman mzupeman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Upstate New York
1085
169
6
Default

This set apparently once again utilizes the accordion design for its packaging, sleeves and all. Make this, sadly, an instant pass for me.
2016 disc favs: The Revenant 4K, The Peanuts Movie 4K, Pan's Labyrinth (Criterion), In A Lonely Place (Criterion), Kubo and the Two Strings, Hellraiser Scarlet Box (US), The BFG, The Thing (Scream Factory), The Jungle Book (live), Deadpool 4K, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Hateful Eight, Carol
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #36
Barry the Nomad Barry the Nomad is offline
Active Member
 
Barry the Nomad's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
Philly, PA
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
This set apparently once again utilizes the accordion design for its packaging, sleeves and all. Make this, sadly, an instant pass for me.
It's not an accordion, it folds open like the old sets, but there are still sleeves. TBH though, I don't think that is a reason to pass on the set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #37
mzupeman mzupeman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Upstate New York
1085
169
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry the Nomad View Post
It's not an accordion, it folds open like the old sets, but there are still sleeves. TBH though, I don't think that is a reason to pass on the set.


The high probability of scratched discs is reason enough for me.
2016 disc favs: The Revenant 4K, The Peanuts Movie 4K, Pan's Labyrinth (Criterion), In A Lonely Place (Criterion), Kubo and the Two Strings, Hellraiser Scarlet Box (US), The BFG, The Thing (Scream Factory), The Jungle Book (live), Deadpool 4K, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Hateful Eight, Carol
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #38
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2013
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
Could someone please do an unboxing?

I found this one.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
esteban≤ (12-08-2017)
Old Today, 05:42 PM   #39
hazelwu hazelwu is offline
Special Member
 
Jun 2011
Alhambra, CA
Default

So Disney will release Season 19 next year? If at all.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Tags
the simpsons season 18

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 PM.