Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast (Blu-ray)
$159.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Fairy Tail: Part Twenty Two (Blu-ray)
$42.99
Cat's Eye (Blu-ray)
$9.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #161
Power Member

Dec 2011
The Room of Space and Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPod View Post
My budget is around $200 for a new Multi-Region player. I'm just not sure which one to purchase. Recommendations would be great!
I just got the s1500 new from their eBay store for 110.00 but you can get a refurbished one for 70 using the best offer option on eBay.
"I guess we were all just hungry"- Joe Toy
"good will always triumph"- Kai
“Cause thats what real brothers do whether their blood relatives or not they look out for each other. Those guys may have been related, but they weren't brothers there's a difference.”-Tom Mason
Old 01-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #162

Aug 2014
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarez468 View Post
I just got the s1500 new from their eBay store for 110.00 but you can get a refurbished one for 70 using the best offer option on eBay.
Oh really? I might check that out when I get home. Could you please provide a link or more details about the s1500? I'm writing this from the Google app and I'm somewhat low on reception due to the area I'm currently in.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #163
Power Member

Dec 2011
The Room of Space and Time

Refurbished unit - http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sony-BDP-S1500...478?nav=SEARCH

New unit

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sony-BDP-S1500...261?nav=SEARCH
"I guess we were all just hungry"- Joe Toy
"good will always triumph"- Kai
“Cause thats what real brothers do whether their blood relatives or not they look out for each other. Those guys may have been related, but they weren't brothers there's a difference.”-Tom Mason
Old 03-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #164

Apr 2013

I received my new s6500 from them today and I'm blown away by how much faster load speeds are compared to my old Insignia NS-WBRDVD2. Everything works perfectly and they got it to me in a week.

Last edited by Bandit Tajomaru; 03-01-2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:10 AM   #165
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Have decided I will get one of their $200 4K 3D region free players as my first major investment after a car.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #166

Jun 2009

Hi,
Can decide which region free blu-ray to buy. either the SONY BDP-S1500 or the SONY BDP-S5200

Will either of these players work ok with an LG 42LF580V Smart tv?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:47 AM   #167

Apr 2015
Toronto, Ontario

Has anyone bought from Multi-System Electronics: http://www.multisystem-electronics.com ? Good / bad shopping experience? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #168

Oct 2014
RVA

Hi all,

I'm deciding between 3 players... I want to go with 220 Electronics I think, based on reviews I've read of the company, their warranty, their guarantee, their service, their pride in their product, etc.

So, I'm deciding between Sony BDP S5500 and S6500, or the Oppo BDP 103. I want an all region blu-ray player, obviously. It also must support 3D playback. I am heavily leaning towards the Sonys because I love cinema and music, etc, but I have rather poor vision & hearing and I'm not sure I'd actually have the video/audiophile chops to recognize any difference in PQ/AQ that the Oppo apparently brings. But maybe I'm wrong? I don't have any personal experience seeing one in action so I couldn't say for sure if it's noticeable for my personal vision/hearing or not. What other features does Oppo offer to make it worth about 3x the price of the higher end Sony?

The two Sonys are my only options because I like the features of the Sonys vs Samsun/Panasonic/LG, and also because I require the 3D playback and the lower end Sonys don't offer that.

I DO have a 4K TV, but I'm not sure how important the 4K Upconversion feature is, so I don't know that the higher end Sony (let alone the Oppo) is necessary for me? My home theater runs through a Denon AVR-S900W, which has its own 4K upconverter built-in, although I don't even personally use it actually. I used to use it, but lately I've experimented with my video settings and discovered that I might actually prefer the picture quality as it comes pure from the blu-ray player, currently just using a PS4, passing through the AVR into my Sony XBR65X800B (65" 4K TV, but no high dynamic range unfortunately), and I let my TV video settings do all the work on the pure signal coming through rather than process it before it gets to the TV. I don't know for sure if I'm missing out by not using features of my AVR to process the video, but I like it as it is now. Perhaps it could be better? I'm always open to advice on how to set up things and get the best quality. So, anyway, given that my AVR can upconvert to 4K, is it important to have the Sony 6500 which an upconvert (does it have any benefits over the 5500 besides that?)? Is the Oppo a necessary triple expense?

What's the best options, pros and cons for my needs? Appreciate any advice!
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 AM   #169

Aug 2009

**callahan09** See if you can borrow any of them to make up your own mind. Oppo have a customer friendly product try out arrangement
Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #170

Oct 2014
RVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
**callahan09** See if you can borrow any of them to make up your own mind. Oppo have a customer friendly product try out arrangement
Interesting.

What exactly should I be looking for with the Oppo, things it can do that the Sony cannot and therefore makes it worth 3x the money?

I'm still interested, conceptually speaking, if a 4K Upscaling player is necessary for me given my 4K Upscaling AVR unit (and if using a 4K Upscaler is even considered to produce a better picture, or is it better to just view in native 1080p?)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:51 AM   #171

Aug 2009

What I am saying is that by borrowing each player you can then experience each one your self and make an informed choice
Old 07-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #172

Oct 2014
RVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
What I am saying is that by borrowing each player you can then experience each one your self and make an informed choice
I'll have to look into the Oppo borrowing program that you're describing, I don't know much about that, so I need to research it. I don't think that's a possibility on the Sony's, though, I won't be able to compare them.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:06 AM   #173

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
Hi all,

I'm deciding between 3 players... I want to go with 220 Electronics I think, based on reviews I've read of the company, their warranty, their guarantee, their service, their pride in their product, etc.

So, I'm deciding between Sony BDP S5500 and S6500, or the Oppo BDP 103. I want an all region blu-ray player, obviously. It also must support 3D playback. I am heavily leaning towards the Sonys because I love cinema and music, etc, but I have rather poor vision & hearing and I'm not sure I'd actually have the video/audiophile chops to recognize any difference in PQ/AQ that the Oppo apparently brings. But maybe I'm wrong? I don't have any personal experience seeing one in action so I couldn't say for sure if it's noticeable for my personal vision/hearing or not. What other features does Oppo offer to make it worth about 3x the price of the higher end Sony?

The two Sonys are my only options because I like the features of the Sonys vs Samsun/Panasonic/LG, and also because I require the 3D playback and the lower end Sonys don't offer that.

I DO have a 4K TV, but I'm not sure how important the 4K Upconversion feature is, so I don't know that the higher end Sony (let alone the Oppo) is necessary for me? My home theater runs through a Denon AVR-S900W, which has its own 4K upconverter built-in, although I don't even personally use it actually. I used to use it, but lately I've experimented with my video settings and discovered that I might actually prefer the picture quality as it comes pure from the blu-ray player, currently just using a PS4, passing through the AVR into my Sony XBR65X800B (65" 4K TV, but no high dynamic range unfortunately), and I let my TV video settings do all the work on the pure signal coming through rather than process it before it gets to the TV. I don't know for sure if I'm missing out by not using features of my AVR to process the video, but I like it as it is now. Perhaps it could be better? I'm always open to advice on how to set up things and get the best quality. So, anyway, given that my AVR can upconvert to 4K, is it important to have the Sony 6500 which an upconvert (does it have any benefits over the 5500 besides that?)? Is the Oppo a necessary triple expense?

What's the best options, pros and cons for my needs? Appreciate any advice!
Build quality wise there is no comparison. Oppo is much much better.

As regards streaming, Sony's streaming has amazon prime while Oppo does not have amazon prime without a roku stick.

Video quality is very close. I do not have a 4k TV. But usualy it is best for the TV to do the upscaling.
As regards audio - if you use HDMI connections - there is no difference really.

Pricewise - Oppo is very expensive. You are paying for a great player with a great build and support. Sony's players are flimsy in comparison.
Video and audio(hdmi) quality differences are probably not significant to most.

However a cheaper way to buy the Oppo region free is to buy the player ($500) from Oppo and then buy the region free kit from ebay ($60).
The kit I got did not need me to open the player. It just uses the USB port and the RS232 port. No soldering needed.
Bluraychips.dk has another mod which retails for over $150. I do not have that so cannot comment.
I do not know which mod 220-volt electronics uses.
Thanks given by:
callahan09 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #174

Jul 2010
Nazareth, PA

I have 2 Sony S6500s I bought from 220 Electronics and have been very pleased with them. No problems playing any imported Blu-ray/DVDs on my two home theater systems.

220 Electronics uses a hardware mod for the region-free capability. I've installed several firmware upgrades from Sony on both units without an issue.

Saved quite a bit by using the "Make an offer" option on 220-Electronics eBay store.
Thanks given by:
Hedji (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #175

Oct 2014
RVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post
I have 2 Sony S6500s I bought from 220 Electronics and have been very pleased with them. No problems playing any imported Blu-ray/DVDs on my two home theater systems.

220 Electronics uses a hardware mod for the region-free capability. I've installed several firmware upgrades from Sony on both units without an issue.

Saved quite a bit by using the "Make an offer" option on 220-Electronics eBay store.
Out of curiosity, how much was your accepted offer?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #176

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

Just remember never to upgrade via USB. I did that and I had to send my S6500 back to them to fix it.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #177

Jul 2010
Nazareth, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
Out of curiosity, how much was your accepted offer?
Since my purchase was over 6 months ago, the offer probably wouldn't apply today.

With my "Make an offer" purchases, I usually start with a low-ball offer that I know they probably won't accept.

The companies usually respond with a counter-offer that's higher than my offer but lower than their normal price.

Is some cases I've been able, to make a counter-offer to their counter-offer that they accept.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #178

Jan 2012
Madison, WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelYYZ View Post
Has anyone bought from Multi-System Electronics: http://www.multisystem-electronics.com ? Good / bad shopping experience? Thanks.
I purchased a refurbished player from them a little over a year ago. They shipped it out fast, and I've had no problems at all with my player, which I use multiple times daily. They sent me a standard 'how was your shopping experience?' email a few months after my purchase, but other than that I've had no reason to contact them. So I can't really comment on customer service, returns, or anything of that nature.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #179

Feb 2011
Southern NH

I was about to buy one from them, the Sony BDP-S6500. I like it's features and it has 3D playback which is essential to me. But they sell it for $239 with the all region MOD in it. I end up finding one on Ebay $64 cheaper with the MOD included.
TVs: Mitsubishi WD65C9 + 3DC-1000 Kit (Bedroom), Mitsubishi WD82738 (Living Room)
HT: Onkyo HT-S9400 THX 7.1
Bluray/DVD: Sony BDP-S6500(Multi region), Oppo DV-980H
Gaming: PS3 60GB 1st Gen., PS4 Launch Edition
Other: LG Super Multi Blu external recorder
Streaming: ChromeCast (Living Room), Roku 2 XS (Bedroom)
Old 08-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #180

May 2011
Bay Area, CA

Thank you for posting that. Got a Refurbished S1500 for $86 (Shipped).

My Curtis Mathes finally died after 7 years over the weekend.
R.I.P DVDSpot
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders