Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Garfield 1 & 2: Fat Cat Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
The Man with No Name Trilogy 4K Remastered Edition (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #1

Oct 2012
Default Need some help please!

Hey everyone,
I was looking into getting a region free blu-ray player but I don't know whats a good one. I want it to be on amazon.com and I don't need it to be a 3d player. Any suggestions on which one I should get? Please help and thanks to all those in advanced if you do!
Thanks!
Wanted Blu-ray Slipcovers:
☠Silent Hill (UK black)
☠ Stand By Me
One Missed Call (Lenticular)
☠ My Bloody Valentine (HMV clear Slipcover)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Expert Member

Feb 2013
WV

I've got a thread open on the same thing asking for feedback on the one I'm thinking about:

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/LG_...g_bd640_rf.htm

I've got a few LG devices and owned a few in the past and I've never had one fail. I wanted a PAL>NTSC convertor built in and Wifi. This has both and the price is reasonable.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #3

May 2010
Canada

Hi:

I can only tell you about the experiences I have had. Like you I wanted to start purchasing some Region B titles, so then I needed a Region B player, my only
caveat was I did'nt want to break the Bank. Now I have two players, and my out of pocket cost was $100 bucks. The two I own are the Seiki BD-660, $45
dollars from walmart, and an insignia NS-WBRDVD2-CA, about the same from Ebay. I can tell you I'm happy with both, the Seiki will play everything, both
play Region B discs without any problems. The Insignia sometimes is a little fussy. But for the price I cannot complain, I refuse to spend $200 bucks for what is just a software issue. Do these players perform like a high end Oppo, I think not, but I don't expect them to. There is a great thread from Detroit Squirrel talking about the insignia, check it out. Also there are some wonderful region B films that are not available yet in North America, and are worth owning!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

Jun 2008
San Diego, CA.

I was in the same boat as you. Looked at several different region free blu ray players, and at the time ( about 1 1/2 years ago ) none of them looked like decent quality machines for what I would be paying. I had seen many, many people who either converted their own players, or companies who have per-converted players.

I went with converting my Oppo BDP-83 into a region free player. Just by simpley un-connecting a few wires and placing the new part inline with the existing wiring, I now have a region free player. The part, which many people on various forums have bought and installed was about $35.00 including shipping.

While somewhat nerve wracking as I did it, after all, it is a $500.00 blu ray player, everything went smoothly and took about 5 minutes to do. In fact it took me longer to un-hook my player and take it out of the rack stand than to install the chip.

My Oppo has played numerous region A blus as well as 20-25 region B blus without any problems what so ever. I have also updated my Oppo with newer firmware without any problems.

I'm looking to get the new Oppo BDP-103 for my livingroom ( Oppo BDP-83 is in movie room ) and if there is a region free chip for this model, I'll convert it too. So, in short, I would do this mod again. Works great, and cheap to convert an excellent player.

Last edited by Ferrari Fan; 02-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Tags
blu-ray player, region free player