Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #1061
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamneedle View Post
teal teal city.

compared to the japanese hdtv version - these were posted on originaltrilogy dot com's forum

I can't get over how bad it looks- and i am already cringing at the inevitable review that says that it looks fantastic.

The teal doesn't look that bad in those screencaps.

There's far worse uses of it out there.

If that's what the BD transfer will look like then I'm not complaining.

After all most of the film is set underwater and the new colour palette goes well with those scenes imo.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #1062

Dec 2009

All I can say is that I've seen the showing on Cinemax and the word "teal" didn't even enter my mind while watching the film which I've seen a half dozen times or so on DVD. Looked excellent to me and I'm not going to go back and watch it again from my DVR just to assess how "teal" or "not teal" it may look compared to the DVD. Grow tired of discussions regarding screenshots. Jury is always out for me until I see the actual footage in motion firsthand, all preconceived notions set aside. Anyway, can't wait to own this on Blu-ray and would be perfectly happy with the theatrical cut and DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, no extras. If additional content is offered so be it. Not a deal breaker for me either way.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #1063
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Does anyone know if the new transfer of True Lies is on Cinemax as well?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #1064

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Does anyone know if the new transfer of True Lies is on Cinemax as well?
Appears to be a new transfer to me. Have it on my DVR. Watched the opening scene only so far which was just as impressive as The Abyss transfer. Will be watching it from start to finish this evening. Will report back if there's anything of interest to share.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #1065
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
It seems forever waiting for these 2 films!
Will this be the year? I wonder!

Though I'm not so happy about the teal too.

By the way: I heard they have re-done some effects in True Lies? Is this true?
Where did you hear about the effects being redone? That is the first I have heard about it. I know there will be some sort of new extras on the upcoming release.
"I'm going to destroy them." - John 'Breacher' Wharton - Sabotage (2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #1066
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Appears to be a new transfer to me. Have it on my DVR. Watched the opening scene only so far which was just as impressive as The Abyss transfer. Will be watching it from start to finish this evening. Will report back if there's anything of interest to share.
Thanks for the info.

I think the best way to tell if it's the new transfer is the colour timing because it'll probably look like most of his other films on BD.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 AM   #1067

Oct 2009

Quote:
All I can say is that I've seen the showing on Cinemax and the word "teal" didn't even enter my mind while watching the film which I've seen a half dozen times or so on DVD. Looked excellent to me and I'm not going to go back and watch it again from my DVR just to assess how "teal" or "not teal" it may look compared to the DVD. Grow tired of discussions regarding screenshots.
some people just can't perceive the fine differences in quality. sometimes I wish my palate would be less particular with films.

anyways, in this case the teal is an issue and its bad, but the crushed blacks are a bigger problem- taking a movie that is already dark and making it darker was not a good call-

Last edited by teamneedle; 04-19-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #1068

Dec 2009

Quote:
some people just can't perceive the fine differences in quality. sometimes I wish my palate would be less particular with films.

anyways, in this case the teal is an issue and its bad, but the crushed blacks are a bigger problem- taking a movie that is already dark and making it darker was not a good call-
Oh please. What are you going on about? Have you even seen the showing on Cinemax? None of your prior replies indicate that you have. Is your only point of reference those crappy looking screenshots you linked to? Not to mention the fact the Blu-ray isn't even out yet.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 04-19-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #1069

Oct 2009

Quote:
Oh please. What are you going on about? Have you even seen the showing on Cinemax? None of your prior replies indicate that you have. Is your only point of reference those crappy looking screenshots you linked to? Not to mention the fact the Blu-ray isn't even out yet.
I've absolutely seen it- I would agree that those crappy screen shots would not be enough reference but the actual broadcast is and it doesn't look good.

And its not just because it is teal now. Aliens went teal and it looks fine, maybe even great at times. The problem with Aliens is that it's new color palette changes the tone and atmosphere of the film for me. I can still watch Aliens despite these problems-

This new grading of the Abyss is a disaster though- Its like Cameron was going for the same look as Aliens but he didn't want to pay the same team of color grading technicians. The Benthic Explorer scenes are so merky that they make the graded shire scenes in Fellowship look like a masterpiece. It also reminds me of the terrible grading done for Jurassic Park 3D.

Last edited by teamneedle; 04-20-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #1070
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
I've absolutely seen it- I would agree that those crappy screen shots would not be enough reference but the actual broadcast is and it doesn't look good.

And its not just because it is teal now. Aliens went teal and it looks fine, maybe even great at times. The problem with Aliens is that it's new color palette changes the tone and atmosphere of the film for me. I can still watch Aliens despite these problems-

This new grading of the Abyss is a disaster though- Its like Cameron was going for the same look as Aliens but he didn't want to pay the same team of color grading technicians. The Benthic Explorer scenes are so merky that they make the graded shire scenes in Fellowship look like a masterpiece. It also reminds me of the terrible grading done for Jurassic Park 3D.
I know this is slightly off topic but the Jurassic Park 3D's colour palette was confirmed to be more or less the films original colour palette.

Just sayin'...

About the Abyss' new colour timing though, it suites the film from what I've seen so far and the lighting doesn't look that bad imo.

If anything the old HD transfer looks a wee bit too bright and has a slight magenta push too it which is very common for a lot of older transfers.

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 04-20-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #1071
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

I can't wait until the actual Blu-rays release when we see 100+ pages of people talking about the teal just like on The Terminator thread.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #1072
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill_Be_Back View Post
I can't wait until the actual Blu-rays release when we see 100+ pages of people talking about the teal just like on The Terminator thread.
They'll probably be calling it The Tealbyss.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #1073
Special Member

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
*bum bum tiss*
"Funny how sometimes you just find things" - How I Met Your Mother [2005 - 2014]

Favorites Of 2013: The Great Gatsby, The Wolf Of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, Philomena, Disney's Frozen, Prisoners, Her, and Gravity.
Honorable Mention: Jurassic Park 3D
Old 04-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #1074
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowiko96 View Post
*bum bum tiss*
Old 04-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #1075
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Quote:
*crickets*

[Show spoiler]
Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #1076
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill_Be_Back View Post
*crickets*

[Show spoiler]
Old 04-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #1077

Oct 2009

I remastered the temp cover art to match up with the movie new grading

Old 04-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #1078

Oct 2009

Quote:
I know this is slightly off topic but the Jurassic Park 3D's colour palette was confirmed to be more or less the films original colour palette.

its confirmed that we were told that. we were also told that the new colour palette of Raiders of the Ark was the original (which it isn't) and Peter Jackson confirmed nearly the same thing for Fellowship of the Ring.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #1079
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
its confirmed that we were told that. we were also told that the new colour palette of Raiders of the Ark was the original (which it isn't) and Peter Jackson confirmed nearly the same thing for Fellowship of the Ring.
I'm not sure about the other two films you mentioned but if you look at the original trailers for Jurassic Park, the colour timing looks very similar to the 3D BD and nothing like the 2D BD.

But this is a thread for The Abyss & True Lies, let's leave it at that.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM   #1080

Oct 2009

Quote:
I'm not sure about the other two films you mentioned but if you look at the original trailers for Jurassic Park, the colour timing looks very similar to the 3D BD and nothing like the 2D BD.

But this is a thread for The Abyss & True Lies, let's leave it at that.
trailers on youtube from who knows what source?

seriously though, trailers are a terrible source to use for grading reference- outside venders create trailers for studios - why would they adhere to the directors desired color scheme? This is one of the reasons why Fincher always tries to get control of all marketing and advertising on his films. Look at Die Hard 4 - the trailer footage had tons of color and looked great and then by the time the movie came out it was desaturated and looked like death.

Last edited by teamneedle; Yesterday at 03:48 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists