COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #381
Power Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
Prom Night is no great shakes either, but it is at least a more competently made film than Sleepaway Camp.
Very true! I did a Prom Night/Terror Train double feature a few years back. A perfect slasher double feature on a crisp October weekend night.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #382

Mar 2014
São Paulo, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden10 View Post
I felt the same way about Sleepaway Camp. Kept reading about how great it was and I blind bought it recently. It was so laughably bad that I'm beginning to question maybe all of my nostalgic movies are really that bad if you remove childhood memories!

Anyway, never got around to seeing this, but I'm a fan of young Jaime Lee Curtis & Leslie Nielson. So will be giving this a go. Hope it doesn't turn out the same as Sleepaway Camp!
I'm right there with you. Saw Sleepaway Camp last year and it felt like a bad Friday the 13th. The only cool thing about it was the ending. Just didn't do it for me.
Maybe I'd feel different if I had childhood memories with it
Please sign my petition for the release of Wes Craven's DEADLY FRIEND Director's cut:

http://www.change.org/petitions/shou...-blu-ray-dvd-2

Last edited by JackForrester; 09-18-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #383
Power Member

Nov 2008
Texas

Prom Night has great atmosphere and the instrumental music score is fantastic. It really adds to the suspense of the dramatic scenes and the 'who is the killer' aspect.
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #384
Power Member

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by szagski13 View Post
I'd classify it as one of the more underrated slashers of that period. I loved the atmosphere and characters. If you enjoy this movie I'd also recommend Terror Train and maybe Final Exam
Those are 2 slashers I've been meaning to check out for awhile too.

Quote:
I felt the same way about Sleepaway Camp. Kept reading about how great it was and I blind bought it recently. It was so laughably bad that I'm beginning to question maybe all of my nostalgic movies are really that bad if you remove childhood memories!

Anyway, never got around to seeing this, but I'm a fan of young Jaime Lee Curtis & Leslie Nielson. So will be giving this a go. Hope it doesn't turn out the same as Sleepaway Camp!
Sleepaway Camp was a movie I had been eager to see for quite awhile, and with the new Blu-ray, I finally took the plunge. While not one of the better slashers of the time, I still very much enjoyed it.

And yeah the pairing of JLC and Nielsen is a major reason I'm looking forward to Prom Night. One, 1980 Jamie just looks hot, and two, I like the idea of Nielsen in a horror movie (I've seen Creepshow, I'm aware he was in that) and the first screen cap of him in the review makes the movie look serious and dramatic. Does this movie have some of that or is it all camp? (to anyone in the forum)
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #385
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
And yeah the pairing of JLC and Nielsen is a major reason I'm looking forward to Prom Night. One, 1980 Jamie just looks hot, and two, I like the idea of Nielsen in a horror movie (I've seen Creepshow, I'm aware he was in that) and the first screen cap of him in the review makes the movie look serious and dramatic. Does this movie have some of that or is it all camp? (to anyone in the forum)
Leslie Nielsen plays it straight in Prom Night, and it's oddly refreshing to see him in such a role, even if I still have a difficult time keeping a straight face whenever he's onscreen.

Jamie Lee Curtis looks gorgeous in Prom Night. I personally prefer Mary Beth Rubens in this movie (She's the one that someone earlier in this thread compared to a dopey Scarlett Johansson.), but only by a slight margin. All of the actresses are quite lovely here.

Terror Train is a solid movie as well, and I loved watching the Scream Factory Blu-ray a few weeks ago. I'd probably rank Prom Night and Terror Train equally, but they're effective horror movies for different reasons.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #386

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPat View Post
Prom Night has great atmosphere and the instrumental music score is fantastic. It really adds to the suspense of the dramatic scenes and the 'who is the killer' aspect.
I remember reading a review a while back where someone mentioned that it was pretty obvious who the killer was from the start. I'd like to see it again with fresh eyes because I can't remember if I guessed who it was at the time since I saw it so many times over the years.

[Show spoiler]I might have thought it was the father because I saw it on tv with those extra scenes and one was of the father with the axe. I also thought they were trying to make you think it was the mother. Anyone here who watched it for the first time know it was the brother all along?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #387
Expert Member

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
This is one slasher I have never gotten around to seeing, and after reading the review and seeing those screen caps, I'm buying this. Synapse delivers.

Btw how does this stack up against other slashers? One of the better ones?
its great. cool late 70's or 1980 high school atmosphere. Disco dancing. mystery as to who the killer is. you'll like it if you like slashers
Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #388
Expert Member

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by szagski13 View Post
I'd classify it as one of the more underrated slashers of that period. I loved the atmosphere and characters. If you enjoy this movie I'd also recommend Terror Train and maybe Final Exam
i have Final Exam but i've been saving it to watch for months. i've heard its very good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
Very true! I did a Prom Night/Terror Train double feature a few years back. A perfect slasher double feature on a crisp October weekend night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goremeister100 View Post
I remember reading a review a while back where someone mentioned that it was pretty obvious who the killer was from the start. I'd like to see it again with fresh eyes because I can't remember if I guessed who it was at the time since I saw it so many times over the years.

[Show spoiler]I might have thought it was the father because I saw it on tv with those extra scenes and one was of the father with the axe. I also thought they were trying to make you think it was the mother. Anyone here who watched it for the first time know it was the brother all along?
i forget to.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #389
Expert Member

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:

Sleepaway Camp is great BECAUSE it's so laughably bad! If Ricky's profanity-laced rants and the "Baldies" guy and most of Judy's scenes don't brighten your day, I feel bad for you son.

I'm going to buy this, even though I didn't like it at all on previous viewing. I just really love Synapse and the work they do and I'm curious to see this movie looking amazing since I remember distinctly thinking the entire time I watched the DVD of this that it looked awful. The movie might have been much better than I remembered! I also really like that Jamie Lee Curtis. 15 bucks at Barnes and Noble seems to be the best deal (with the free shipping for members), right? I see it's 13.98 at importcds/blowitoutahere but the shipping would put it over 15.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #390
Expert Member

Mar 2011

17.99 at movie stop.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #391
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

$13.99 at Family Video. For whatever reason, I've never seen this so I snagged a copy. Should go well with my JLC marathon this year.
For sale:

Star Trek Into Darkness UV Full Code (From Compendium Set) - $3
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #392

Feb 2014
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
$13.99 at Family Video. For whatever reason, I've never seen this so I snagged a copy. Should go well with my JLC marathon this year.
Wow that's cheap, good for you! I'm lucky enough to have a friend who owed me a little money so he just ordered this to settle up
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America