Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Mr. Brooks (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.97
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Attenborough's Life Stories (Blu-ray)
$4.96
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$4.88
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$63.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 05-20-2015, 04:33 AM   #3361
Power Member

Jul 2014

Nah, GT was not even remotely good.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #3362
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
Well since it isn't based on a manga, there should be no filler.
There will be a manga adaptation so the anime version will possibly differentiate from the comic books slightly but nothing too important, hell, back then people watched DBZ and only later became aware there was a comic book version of it. It felt strange that Kai and the comics didn't have the Garlir Junior arc as I grew fond of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
I say it it will be more like a GT length series but without being 100% filler and better. (Not that GT was a bad series or anything, but it didn't feel as good of a series as Dragonball and Z.)
I'd bet that Super's going to last for 4-5 seasons or at max 7 seasons that being 23 eps per season and honestly, just like any show if it runs for too long it's bound to become mediocre *cough* Parks and Rec *cough*.

And yeah, GT wasn't a bad show it's just that people probably expected it to be just like Z but instead it turned out to be a remake of Dragon Ball in space. I like GT a lot and would love to watch it remastered on Blu-ray.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #3363

Apr 2013

I never understood why Funimation never picked up the 90's Dr. Slump series? Goku even makes a cameo appearance in that series.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:10 AM   #3364
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
I never understood why Funimation never picked up the 90's Dr. Slump series? Goku even makes a cameo appearance in that series.
Dr. Slump's 90's series was a trainwreck so I'm glad they never did it, however, if they were to then it should be the original 80's version.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 AM   #3365
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
There will be a manga adaptation so the anime version will possibly differentiate from the comic books slightly but nothing too important, hell, back then people watched DBZ and only later became aware there was a comic book version of it. It felt strange that Kai and the comics didn't have the Garlir Junior arc as I grew fond of it.

I'd bet that Super's going to last for 4-5 seasons or at max 7 seasons that being 23 eps per season and honestly, just like any show if it runs for too long it's bound to become mediocre *cough* Parks and Rec *cough*.

And yeah, GT wasn't a bad show it's just that people probably expected it to be just like Z but instead it turned out to be a remake of Dragon Ball in space. I like GT a lot and would love to watch it remastered on Blu-ray.
But Garlic Jr. saga is still filler no matter how entertaining it may be and Kai's job was to remove all of that filler.

Personally I don't think there is really much to tell in Dragonball Super unless it's just going to keep coming up with a bunch of random new enemies.

The way I see GT is that they tried to make a show that uses some of Dragonball's strong points and DBZ's strong points on what made them popular and trying to use those to make a new series that is trying to act like a sequel to DBZ based on the ending they used in DBZ. Not the awesome show they wanted it to be, but GT was still a fun watch.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #3366
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
Probably thought that it wouldn't sell that well outside of Japan and that a big series like that it is a gamble. Though there are some cameo appearances of Dr. Slump characters in Dragonball.

Discotek released Dr. Slump movies on DVD.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #3367
Power Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
It felt strange that Kai and the comics didn't have the Garlir Junior arc as I grew fond of it.
Because that piece of garbage saga was filler. Not to mention it featured a movie only character with another movie only character (Haiya Dragon).

Quote:
No, GT is a bad show. It completely shit over Toriyama's characters and all fo the development they had. Piccolo didn't even show up for like 30 episodes and when he did, he got his ass beat. Then he dies. Then he does other stupid shit in Hell. It was insulting to a Piccolo fan.

Add on top that Bra is now 16 while Pan is 9, even though Bra is a year younger than Pan, Bulma is suddenly the only child of the Briefs (even though an episode of DB said she was the youngest), and they royally dumbed down Gohan, Trunks, and Goten. Finally, they repeated the same plot points that the series already covered, but did it better. Baby was just Space Cell and Dr Mu was Space Gero.

Oh yeah, it also insulted Toriyama's ending.

Quote:
But Garlic Jr. saga is still filler no matter how entertaining it may be and Kai's job was to remove all of that filler.
Unfortunately, Kai still failed at that as things like Bulma and Frog Ginyu switching bodies were still present.

Quote:
Personally I don't think there is really much to tell in Dragonball Super unless it's just going to keep coming up with a bunch of random new enemies.
Hopefully Super will be more story driven ala Dragon Ball than just countless battles like Z. Basically the way Battle of Gods was.

I'd love to see them tackle this multiverse Beers talked about in BoG.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #3368
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Garlic Jr. arc was filler but a really good one at that which gave us variety and didn't have Goku to be the hero to save 'em all as he'd usually do.

Quote:
It's probably what'll happen. There's just no way around it.

Quote:
The way I see GT is that they tried to make a show that uses some of Dragonball's strong points and DBZ's strong points on what made them popular and trying to use those to make a new series that is trying to act like a sequel to DBZ based on the ending they used in DBZ. Not the awesome show they wanted it to be, but GT was still a fun watch.
True. I love GT despite that it gets a lot of hate.

Quote:
Probably thought that it wouldn't sell that well outside of Japan and that a big series like that it is a gamble. Though there are some cameo appearances of Dr. Slump characters in Dragonball.

Discotek released Dr. Slump movies on DVD.
There was a Spanish DVD of Dr. Slump which consisted of 5 volumes but since the sales were absolutely terrible they had to cancel it. To my surprise they made a new re-release of it but after sending them an email I got the confirmation that's all there'd ever be from them.

As for Discotek.. still waiting for volume 2 of Dr. Slump: The Movies.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #3369
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:

Hopefully Super will be more story driven ala Dragon Ball than just countless battles like Z. Basically the way Battle of Gods was.
Agree. I like seeing trunks and vegeta talk more, him and bulma, and his relationship with goku... That's not bad filler to me personally. Same with piccalo and gohan, that training and bonding in season 1 was awesome.

I personally don't want to see stuff like boo eating ice cream for two weeks, or mini garlic jr series where people turned into zombies and its up to 1 or 2 of them to save the day [I always skip that part of Z], but I'd take filler where we're learning more about the characters and their bonds, rather than taking driving classes, or sayaman kinda stuff stopping bank robberies.

Quote:

It's probably what'll happen. There's just no way around it.
Again there is a lot that was left on the table character development wise and opportunities for interaction throw that kind of stuff in-between battles with frieza's brothers sister mother or whoever they come up with and I'd say it would create quiet the meaningful show.

But you're correct if its driving school and then new androids come and then peace for two episodes and some dinners at the house and some training and poof new bad guy... It'll be awfully redundant
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #3370
Special Member

Apr 2011

Considering that Resurrection of F completely ignored the existence of Coola whom is Freeza's brother all the non-manga/canon stuff might not be brought up. I frankly couldn't care less about whether it's true to the comics or filler just as long as it's entertaining.

Now keep in mind Battle of Gods happened 4 years after the Majin Boo arc so it's understandable they didn't bring up Goku's Super Saiyan 4 form but then again even if it were after GT they wouldn't.. probably. GT was 5 years later according to Wiki (it's the only time I ever bothered to look up the years' differentiation between the shows/movies) because I'm a fan of the anime version so I'm used to the filler characters than just canony stuff.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #3371
Power Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Now keep in mind Battle of Gods happened 4 years after the Majin Boo arc so it's understandable they didn't bring up Goku's Super Saiyan 4 form but then again even if it were after GT they wouldn't.. probably. GT was 5 years later according to Wiki (it's the only time I ever bothered to look up the years' differentiation between the shows/movies) because I'm a fan of the anime version so I'm used to the filler characters than just canony stuff.
Not quite. GT is technically 15 years after Boo was defeated. Or is that what you meant?

Quote:
Garlic Jr. arc was filler but a really good one at that which gave us variety and didn't have Goku to be the hero to save 'em all as he'd usually do.
So you liked them turning Krillin into a shallow minded individual who didn't mind going out with someone who was only interested in him for his money and was as bright as coal?

Or how much of a joke they made Kami into? How about the poor animation? Oh yeah, and a plot that makes absolutely no sense when you start to think about it?
Old 05-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #3372
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Not quite. GT is technically 15 years after Boo was defeated. Or is that what you meant?
That's what they meant on Wiki.

Quote:
So you liked them turning Krillin into a shallow minded individual who didn't mind going out with someone who was only interested in him for his money and was as bright as coal?
Kuririn has always been a sad joke so seeing them turn him into a father figure and more serious was welcome.

Quote:
Or how much of a joke they made Kami into? How about the poor animation? Oh yeah, and a plot that makes absolutely no sense when you start to think about it?
I don't think too deep into it because Dragon Ball's a light-hearted franchise so as such, you're overthinking it. I do see your point that some characters did have some bad animation such as Freeza and Cell.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #3373
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

I never imagined seeing these characters again especially Dr. Wheelo from The World's Strongest movie.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...assists/.88435

Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #3374
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
I don't think too deep into it because Dragon Ball's a light-hearted franchise so as such, you're overthinking it. I do see your point that some characters did have some bad animation such as Freeza and Cell.
Yeah most cartoons when you try to apply logic don't make sense lol
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #3375
Special Member

Apr 2011

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - Original Soundtrack Digital Edt.

It's for sale on Amazon France: http://www.amazon.fr/Dragonball-Z-Ka...dp/B00SR19TYC/

Features over 33 tracks and as you'd imagine it only included the theme songs from the international version. Unfortunately it's MP3 quality only.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #3376
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
An image of Goku from Toyotarō's manga version of the upcoming Dragonball Super television anime series debuted on Thursday.

Toyotarō will launch the manga in the extra-large August issue of V Jump on June 20. Dragonball manga creator Akira Toriyama is credited with the manga's original story. Toyotarō previously drew the three-chapter manga adaptation of the recently released Dragonball Z: Fukkatsu no F (Dragonball Z: Resurrection 'F') film.

Dragonball Super will premiere on Fuji TV and other channels in July on Sundays at 9:00 a.m. This will be the first new Dragonball television series since Dragonball GT, which aired from 1996 to 1997. The story of the anime is set a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu, when the Earth has become peaceful once again.

Toriyama is also credited as the original creator of the new anime, as well as for "original story & character concepts." Toei Animation's Kimitoshi Chioka (Hakaba Kitarō, Kamisama Kazoku) is the series director, and Naoko Sagawa (Yomiko Advertising, Inc.) and Atsushi Kido (Toei Animation) join Nozaki as producers. Kido entered Toei just as the company was animating the Dragonball Z anime's Frieza arc.

A new film taking place after the Majin Buu Saga, Dragonball Z: Resurrection 'F', premiered in Japan last month. The film will eventually screen in 74 countries worldwide. Funimation hosted the North American premiere of the film on April 11 in Los Angeles. The company plans to release the film in more theaters with an English dub this summer.

Although V Jump is using this art of Goku by Toyotarō to promote the Dragonball Super manga, it also appeared in the Dragonball Z: Fukkatsu no F promotion.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nveiled/.88411

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #3377

Apr 2013

Quote:
Dr. Slump's 90's series was a trainwreck so I'm glad they never did it, however, if they were to then it should be the original 80's version.
I would prefer the 80's series too, but lets face it most Americans wouldn't watch it because it looks too old and that series is too long for a direct to video release. Just like most will not watch Dragonball despite it being a better series than Dragonball Z. What was so bad about the 90's Dr. Slump series?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime