Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Mr. Brooks (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.97
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Attenborough's Life Stories (Blu-ray)
$4.96
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$63.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #4821

Oct 2011

Just got back from Tuesday pickup at my local MS with the new Hastings Overlords POS system.

The Good:
- Trade-in values have gone up. Usually way up. Things that were 0.35 qualify and usually by a lot more. Things that were in the nether area (1.90 or so) have gone up in value also. So, if you were refused before, try again after your MS changes over systems.
- Rumor that the new Passport card also works at Hastings. I haven't been to Hastings to check, but the trainer was from a hastings store and she seemed to think it would work.
- T3G1 is still active. It needs to be done separately from pickup/purchase and the order is pretty important. (see The Bad)
- Criterion retails appear to be lower (27.99) and thus qualify very legally for the T3G1 without any extra issues. Limelight and The Rose were both retail 27.99 and all of my former MS system Criterion reserves were in place. (but still see The Bad)

The Bad:
- Any T3G1 that you reserved as generic or that are not currently in the new system have been converted to a big blob of credit. Actually, all your T3G1 have been converted to a big blob of credit equal to number of reserves * ~23.89 or whatever your store has to use. Don't get excited when you see you have like $700 in credit. Some of that is spoken for as any T3G1 reserves that are in the system.
- Referencing the above point, the reserves don't go out nearly as far as before. If you reserved Aladdin, it's now in the credit blob as it is not in the system yet. If you reserved 8 place-holder Ant-Man's, it's in the credit blob as Ant-Man is not in the new system. It would be a good idea to get a printed list of your reserves before the system switch, so you can agree to "name" your credit. This brings up a difficult problem though. If you reserved a generic, knowing you wanted to apply it to a larger ticket item in the future, you will need to work with your store to make sure the ~23.89 credit from the blob gets "named" properly and prices adjusted (let's say Aladdin retails for 27.99) so you aren't shorted. And on any new T3G1, you'll need to tie it to something in the system.
- Speaking of shorted, when trading a stack of movies and you are missing the Trade 3 number by a movie or two, check the trade-in prices before executing the trade and cancel the transaction. The T3G1 function takes the trades in order of scanning and that's it, no changing order. So if you had 4 trades and one of them traded for $7 where the others were all $3, you'd want to T3 on the $3 items and keep or straight up trade the $7 item. But if you did not scan the $7 trade last, it gets scooped up as one of the T3. Not a huge deal, but when you don't know the trade values on a large stack, it could affect things.

The Curious:
- Your drivers license or valid ID is REQUIRED to enter you in the new Passport system. A dummy number won't work and one customer was ready to cry "Ruby Ridge!" and black helicopters on the request for a license number when picking up her copy of American Sniper.
- The store inventory lookup system is nothing special. Apparently it is linked to gohastings.com inventory by default, so you already know what it will say. They can search a specific store by number, but only one at a time. The idea of searching a massive web of Hastings and MS inventories for that illusive copy of Beauty and the Beast 3D is probably not going to happen
- I saw plenty of DVD trades that brought up a "too many of that in stock" window. I would imagine that will be less of an issue with blu, but expect an occasional rejection on some things simply because the inventory is to high.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I thought most would want to know.
Thanks given by:
DB5 (05-19-2015), JGIBS001 (05-19-2015), jmb1381 (05-20-2015), Joeker (05-19-2015), K i r a (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #4822
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Gotham City

Does the new system allow employees to override the trade in value? Like let say the limit to qualify is $2 but the movie you trade in is $1.50, could the employee scan the movie and then change the value from $1.50 to $2 so it qualifies?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #4823

Oct 2011

Don't think so. T3G1 still has to be 2.25 to qualify. But prices going up helps that quite a bit.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #4824
Expert Member

Jul 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDan3 View Post
- The store inventory lookup system is nothing special. Apparently it is linked to gohastings.com inventory by default, so you already know what it will say. They can search a specific store by number, but only one at a time. The idea of searching a massive web of Hastings and MS inventories for that illusive copy of Beauty and the Beast 3D is probably not going to happen
I don't miss dealing with the Hastings POS. If they're indexing your inventory, I'm sure product will now be shipped out of Moviestop stores. If that's the case, Moviestop's used selection will go way down. At my old store, we were shipping upwards of 400 orders per day, and we were a large store.

I visited my old store last year. They had a used copy of Beauty and the Beast 3D, which I was ecstatic about. There was also some discount going on that day, so it ended up being $17.xx. After I took off their stupid green used wrapper they put on used product in the store, I discovered it was still sealed The only downside is that it had a regular slip, not a lenticular one, but still - can't complain
Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #4825

Jan 2013

Wow thanks for all the info!!!

My movie stop didn't roll out the new computers yet but they are putting te new racks up Its looking good.

These movies did not work but I am excited and hoping they will once the new computers come out.

Trabsformers revenge of the fallen
Jack Ryan shadow recruit
The lucky one
Heaven is for real
New Years Eve
Won't back down anchorman 2
Air Force once/in the line of the fire combo
Rise of the planet of the apes combo pack
The call
V/h/s
Sherman and me Peabody ?!?!?!?!? It just came out
Money all
Free birds
Empire state

These worked:
Gone girl
The girl with the dragon tattoo
Edge of tomorrow
Lucy
Purge anarchy
Beethoven's treasure tail
21 jump street
Neighbors
Tmnt (2014)
million ways to die in the west
Ouija
Fury
Expendables 3
Dracula Untold
Gi Joe retaliation
Clover field
Prometheus
Bad grandpa unrated
Gi Joe rise of the cobra
Dumb and dumber to
The equalizer
Annabelle
Les miserables
Thanks given by:
JGIBS001 (05-19-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #4826

Oct 2011

A follow-up from yesterday. I checked my receipts and noticed something kind of off. All your reserves are rolled into a giant credit blob and any reserves you made via T3G1 are noted in the system. However, when checking out, those reserves came off of the credit blob at their regular BLAP price with no adjustment to the ~23.89 credit for the T3G1. So, if you reserved The Rose with a T3G1 it gets you ~23.89 credit, but retails at 27.99. The price should have been corrected to the ~23.89 price to make the item free. I'm sure I can get that handled today, but just make sure that any of your reserves cost no more than the T3G1 credit value when you settle up.

Growing pains...
Old 05-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #4827
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

I'm kind of pissed. I reserved The Rose and still had to pay $32.99 for it. the workers at the Seekonk, MA Movie Stop told me their was no sale or BLAP price for it. I somehow doubt that is true. They don't have the new computers yet so are they just gonna rape the customers with wrong prices until then? I read above the Movie Stop retail for The Rose is $27.99, not at my store it wasn't. I'm thinking of keeping my receipt and going back later this week to see if the price has changed. I have some trades but I am not even attempting them right now with the clusterfudge that is my local store at the moment.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Old 05-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #4828

Oct 2011

Yeah, I hear ya. Manager was pretty impressed that the two Criterions from yesterday were retailing for less in the new computer system. It's going to be kind of odd from here on out I think, until the T3G1 get a little better defined in the system. But honestly, unless they are on the new system, they're stuck. I would suggest returning the unopened copy and waiting until the Barnes and Noble 50% off sale in the summer if you aren't doing T3G1. Otherwise, the new prices are very weak.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #4829
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDan3 View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. Manager was pretty impressed that the two Criterions from yesterday were retailing for less in the new computer system. It's going to be kind of odd from here on out I think, until the T3G1 get a little better defined in the system. But honestly, unless they are on the new system, they're stuck. I would suggest returning the unopened copy and waiting until the Barnes and Noble 50% off sale in the summer if you aren't doing T3G1. Otherwise, the new prices are very weak.
I understand the workers have their hands tied on this and they aren't to blame. However, that is very bad business considering they advertise that reserving gives you the lowest available price. It's a blatant lie. They never price match Amazon but come on, The Rose is going for $22.99 on Amazon right now. I already opened it and watched it cause I really wanted to see it so I guess I am shit out of luck. Unfortunately, this makes me seriously reconsider any future Movie Stop reserves for the time being. This happened a few weeks ago with From A Whisper To A Scream as well. I found it odd that all Scream Factory releases get a BLAP but that one didn't. Oh well it's just money right.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Old 05-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #4830

Oct 2008

Any idea on how much the wire complete series is gonna go for ? Money is tight and i'm trying to figure some things out. thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #4831
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone blare View Post
Any idea on how much the wire complete series is gonna go for ? Money is tight and i'm trying to figure some things out. thanks.
Forget the regular price in system, but it won't street until 6/2, so if we don't see it advertised in the Target or BB ad for that week, it'll most likely be the regular price.
Looking for DVD slipcovers only: Luther Series 3. Desert Punk (DVD Repackage). PM me.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #4832

Apr 2011
by the sea

went to trade in a few Criterions and some blu rays.. no thanks, 10cents each for criterion collections. Not impressive. So don't go jumping into trades without asking what its worth. Midlo VA today.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #4833

Feb 2009
Orlando FL area

Waterford Lakes has the new system online. I had a few new releases I traded in, the real test comes later (I've got close to 100+ I've been sitting on while waiting for the new system and subsequent raises in trade value). Was happy to find I had $100 in credit on my new card
Old 05-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #4834

Jul 2011

Just went to Moviestop in Huntsville, AL where I have been doing trades there since the store first opened and got to experience the now system. I go to move American Sniper and I am told that I only have $5 on that and Kingsmen and $23 as account credit. Weird since the last time that I went in there I had 12 reserves from trade 3's left and some payoffs and I haven't picked anything up. Thanks Hastings, this whole thing is going exactly like I thought it would.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #4835
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
Florida

Qualified:

The Monuments Men
Olympus Has Fallen
The Raid: Redemption
Predestination
Ghostbusters 1&2 Digibook
After Earth
Last Vegas
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Reserved:

Mad Max: Fury Road
It Follows

They also moved my Lucy reserve (remember those? ) over to Ex Machina.

Picked up (500) Days of Summer (used) for $3.99 minus the 10% from the DC card.

The new computer systems won't arrive at my local store until July, from what I've been told.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM   #4836

Feb 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman89 View Post
Qualified:

The Monuments Men
Olympus Has Fallen
The Raid: Redemption
Predestination
Ghostbusters 1&2 Digibook
After Earth
Last Vegas
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Reserved:

Mad Max: Fury Road
It Follows

Thanks for the info on qualifying titles.
Life after Death
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #4837

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by K i r a View Post
I'm sure that's just Citrus Park, honestly. Haha. We're the smallest store in the company, so our layout is definitely a little more cramped than the other stores. We also don't have near as many items as the Brandon store, where they would have an Anime and Attack on Titan endcap which I'm entirely jealous that we don't have the room for.
It felt cluttered to me at Waterford today.
Tons of action figures that are priced to sit and tons of other junk that will sit.

relatively small section of the wall for bluray and everything else on shelves on the floor and the wall that doesnt have toys is dvd.
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #4838

Jan 2013

I dislike the new layout... Very cluttered and cramped... I have only one reserve left there now.
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #4839
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix74 View Post
Thanks for the info on qualifying titles.
My pleasure.

Meant to post that on Wednesday originally when I traded them in, but forgot all about it. Most, if not all, should still qualify before closing tonight.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals