Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$4.99
7 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
14 hrs ago
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
3 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #261
AKORIS AKORIS is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
AKORIS's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest
1762
457
18
Default

PULP FICTION foul film and characters

RAGING BULL ummm, see above

SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE yawnnnnnn
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #262
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is online now
Blu-ray Duke
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
519
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow61095 View Post
So, what does that say about you - trashing the thread? Irony?
As then you are trashing people who like this thread's tastes.......
#1. I'm not trashing the thread. I'm trying to make the thread be seen for what it is so a MOD can either clear it, lock it, or change the title to be appropriate for civil discourse on the matter.

#2. I have not trashed anyone who likes this thread. At no point have I called anyone out for their tastes. In fact, I've stated a couple of times that people are entitled to their opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow61095 View Post
........If you don't like this thread -- so why keep following and reading it --- Wouldn't that be a waste of time?
The internet is a big place, why not find a thread you do like and contribute there?
#1. Because I care for this community and take an active role in trying to keep it in the spirit of celebrating the nature of entertainment. Bringing awareness of threads like this to the right peoples attention makes for a better community. I don't consider caring for my community a waste of time.

#2. I find both types of threads and contribute positively in both. Believe it or not, by NOT calling films overrated and NOT participating in the stream of thought taking place here, I'm contributing more positively than most others since they are all posting purely negative comments by design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow61095 View Post
Back to the subject of overrated movies and movie franchises: the Christopher Reeve Superman franchise fits that bill.
[Show spoiler]Flying around the world and making it spin backwards. The kiss of forgetfulness. Richard Pryor. Superman IV: The Quest for peace
Again, another example. You just told everyone that likes Superman: The Movie (or anything from the franchise for that matter) that they are somehow wrong and have bad taste for liking them. How is that productive to the community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow61095 View Post
P.S. ------- Would adding post in a thread that contains nothing to do with the topic of the thread and simply bad mouthing the thread be trolling???
Hahaha... My "bad mouthing" the thread is actually counter to a hotbed of negativity. And it's not even really bad mouthing it since I'm just being realistic in my description of it. Bad mouthing would be far more dramatic and hyperbolized than the stating of the obvious. And, trolling? I'm certainly not trying to provoke anybody's reaction other than a MODs in seeing that this thread is counterproductive to the very design and purpose upon which this site was created.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #263
surfdude12 surfdude12 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
surfdude12's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Club Loop
298
111
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
So does Dolly Parton. So whats your point?
Dolly Parton = epic, in more ways than one....in fact, in two

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #264
2 Up 2 Down 2 Up 2 Down is online now
Member
 
Dec 2012
286
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
PULP FICTION foul film and characters

RAGING BULL ummm, see above

SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE yawnnnnnn
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #265
SquidPuppet SquidPuppet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Club Loop
276
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
Dolly Parton = epic, in more ways than one....in fact, in two

ha ha ha
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #266
bam777 bam777 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bam777's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Dallas, TX
3
839
123
1
125
Default

Three overrated recent films:

Hanna - Ok movie, but didn't live up to the hype.

Super 8 - Train wreck of a movie. Pun intended.

The Help - I love Emma Stone but I was bored out of my mind. Definitely didn't deserve all of those awards IMO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #267
sukraj sukraj is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
sukraj's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
UK
150
18
Default

lord of the rings
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/COD Advance Warfare/The Evil Within/Sunset Overdrive/The Master Chief Collection/Assassin Creed Unity/Far Cry 4
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #268
bluearth bluearth is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
bluearth's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
92
2
Default

Toy Story 3 by a massive, massive margin

99% rotten tomatoes score

8.5 IMDB

83.7% of bluray.com votes gave it 5/5 stars LINK

Extremely high ratings for a movie I havent been bothered to see again after the theaters even though I own it on bluray
==
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #269
Sean4000 Sean4000 is offline
Senior Member
 
Sean4000's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Metairie, Louisiana
79
10
8
Default

TDK-R, Star Trek 2009, Mission Impossible 4.
"They say time is the fire in which we burn. Right now my time is running out. We leave so many things unfinished in our lives......."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #270
menaceuk menaceuk is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
menaceuk's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam777 View Post
Three overrated recent films:

Hanna - Ok movie, but didn't live up to the hype.

Super 8 - Train wreck of a movie. Pun intended.

The Help - I love Emma Stone but I was bored out of my mind. Definitely didn't deserve all of those awards IMO.
Did Hanna have a lot of hype ? I don't remember it but like you I thought it was OK, nothing amazing.

Super 8 I thought was really good. The best Kid lead film since goonies. Well it was good till the very end.

As for the Help. I took my mother to see it cause she read the book and loved it and she hated the movie and I did too.
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, Never let it Fade away
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #271
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Suspended
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
104
2
9
Default

Some that come to mind...

Moonrise Kingdom
Sin City
Ted
Donnie Darko
The Artist
Easy Rider

Just to name a few. I'm sure there are many I've missed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #272
arrow61095 arrow61095 is offline
Special Member
 
arrow61095's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
PA, USA
140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow61095 View Post
.........

Back to the subject of overrated movies and movie franchises: the Christopher Reeve Superman franchise fits that bill.
[Show spoiler]Flying around the world and making it spin backwards. The kiss of forgetfulness. Richard Pryor. Superman IV: The Quest for peace


.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
...........
Again, another example. You just told everyone that likes Superman: The Movie (or anything from the franchise for that matter) that they are somehow wrong and have bad taste for liking them. How is that productive to the community?
......
I said nothing of the sort. I think you misunderstand what "over-rated" means. The are movies that I like that I think are over-rated by the general public. What I said is I believe that the Superman Franchise as a whole is over-rated because many people overlook the poor parts of the franchise and only concentrate on the good parts of the movies. This does not mean they are bad movies or that someone has bad taste for liking or not liking the movies -- just that these movies are held in high esteem by the General public and it may not be entirely deserved. I have no problem with someone having different opinions than me and discussing that ---- In fact, I like that others have a different opinion than me, because it would be a pretty boring planet if everyone had the same opinions. ---- The purpose of this kind of post is to get others thinking.
Someone may read my post and say, "he's right - I've always thought that those movies were great, but I've been overlooking the flaws that they contain. I still like the movies, but I now have a slightly different opinion on them"
or
"I totally disagree with him. What he thinks are flaws, I think are good parts of the movies."

Either is ok. And thinking and re-examining ones beliefs is productive.
LG 42" 1080p 240Hz LED
60 GB PS3
Onkyo TX-SR605
Klipsch RB51 5.1 system
Sony 32" 1080i CRT (bedroom)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #273
arrow61095 arrow61095 is offline
Special Member
 
arrow61095's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
PA, USA
140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
....

#2. I have not trashed anyone who likes this thread. At no point have I called anyone out for their tastes. In fact, I've stated a couple of times that people are entitled to their opinions.

.....
But, in fact, by attempting to have this thread locked, are you not attempting to silence others opinions - and claiming that having any non positive opinion is wrong and should be banned from forums?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
...

Hahaha... My "bad mouthing" the thread is actually counter to a hotbed of negativity. And it's not even really bad mouthing it since I'm just being realistic in my description of it. Bad mouthing would be far more dramatic and hyperbolized than the stating of the obvious. And, trolling? I'm certainly not trying to provoke anybody's reaction other than a MODs in seeing that this thread is counterproductive to the very design and purpose upon which this site was created.
So 2 negatives make a positive????
I always thought the saying was "Two wrongs don't make a right".
Also, FYI - A Mod posted in this thread back on page 1 -- so, there are definitely Mods that are aware of this thread. If you wanted to contact a Mod, why wouldn't you just Private Message them instead of posting in the thread that you claim to despise???


P.S. - I just noticed that your profile has your biography listed as:
Quote:
Biography
I've never met a movie I didn't respect... until 'Cloverfield'!

That seems more negative than some of the comments I have read in this thread.
LG 42" 1080p 240Hz LED
60 GB PS3
Onkyo TX-SR605
Klipsch RB51 5.1 system
Sony 32" 1080i CRT (bedroom)

Last edited by arrow61095; 01-15-2013 at 04:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #274
s2mikey s2mikey is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Upstate, NY
147
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
Dolly Parton = epic, in more ways than one....in fact, in two



Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
PULP FICTION

RAGING BULL ummm, see above
Agree on both of these. Pulp fiction is so juvenile and impossible to get into. Only nthe Uma Thurman story is even remotely interesting but even that gets lame. Tarantino is a hackjob amateur. Period.

Raging Bull = Steaming Bull SH!T.

Sony XBR 65" 4K 850B
Samsung UN6500 LED
Sony BDPS 5200, LG BD570, PS3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560

Last edited by s2mikey; 01-15-2013 at 04:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #275
Kevin Holly Kevin Holly is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Kevin Holly's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
PULP FICTION foul film and characters

RAGING BULL ummm, see above

I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #276
Kevin Holly Kevin Holly is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Kevin Holly's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Moonrise Kingdom
Sin City
Ted
Donnie Darko
The Artist
Easy Rider
I think this is the greatest list ever. Not because I agree with it, but because it's mostly recent films, and then it ends with, of all things, Easy Rider. It's so jarring and out of left field that I have to like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Agree on both of these. Pulp fiction is so juvenile and impossible to get into. Only nthe Uma Thurman story is even remotely interesting but even that gets lame. Tarantino is a hackjob amateur. Period.
It's be easier to take you seriously if you didn't have a Lord of the Rings avatar.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #277
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Suspended
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
104
2
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
I think this is the greatest list ever. Not because I agree with it, but because it's mostly recent films, and then it ends with, of all things, Easy Rider. It's so jarring and out of left field that I have to like it!


I actually enjoy each of those films, I just feel they're each a bit overrated. Glad you had a good laugh over it though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #278
mlittle3 mlittle3 is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
125
6
6
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
Toy Story 3 by a massive, massive margin

99% rotten tomatoes score

8.5 IMDB

83.7% of bluray.com votes gave it 5/5 stars LINK

Extremely high ratings for a movie I havent been bothered to see again after the theaters even though I own it on bluray
It is one of those movies that was popular simply because the audience grew up watching the others movies. It wasn't a bad film, just emotionally manipulative and pure Disney fluff. I never really cared much for the first two movies, so I was kind of indifferent to the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #279
mlittle3 mlittle3 is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
125
6
6
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Some that come to mind...

Moonrise Kingdom
Sin City
Ted
Donnie Darko
The Artist
Easy Rider

Just to name a few. I'm sure there are many I've missed.
Sin City is a bad movie. I hate it aside from Mickey Rourke.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Marvel Studios = No R-Rated Films? Movies J_UNTITLED 34 01-03-2013 08:07 AM
Most Over Rated Directors Movies JLant19 417 11-20-2012 04:55 PM
IMDb: The Top Rated Films of the New Millennium Movies GreenScar 32 08-20-2009 02:57 PM
Yahoo User's Top Rated War Films Movies Blu Titan 19 01-06-2009 07:24 PM
HALO too over rated Xbox 360 NARMAK 43 03-18-2007 11:11 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.